Another ultrasound! Worried about the risks?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by Moolia, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Moolia

Moolia Bfp 26/1/11 :)

Hi ladies,

I have already had 4 scans in this pregancy and I saw my consultant today who said he wants me to have another scan next week. Add that to my 20 week scan and I will have had 6 scans by the halfway point!

My friend told me that her midwife warned her that too many scans could be dangerous and my midwife commented that 'they don't know what the risks might be but we wouldn't recommend unnecessary scans'. The consultant laughed when I asked him about it and said there was no risk and ultrasounds have been carried out on women for a long time.

I am just feeling quite worried about it as I obviously don't want to put my baby under any risk at all! Does anyone have any experience or advice in this area? Or any stories of reassurance from those who had lots of scans but had a perfectly healthy child at the end? Or just any thoughts at all?

Thanks ladies x

2. xjesx

xjesx Well-Known Member

No experience but I am not one to stick with a consultant i didnt trust.

I tend to go with the opinion of my heath care provider.

3. lov3hat3

lov3hat3 Mummy to lil J, Preggo #2

I think I had 6 or 7 scans during my first pregnancy as consultants kept coming up with all ridiculous things to worry about which I believe were unnecessary but Jamie turned out perfectly fine. I personally didn't worry about having all those scans as I just thought they wouldn't put me through all of them if they thought it would effect him badly in anyway x

4. Jonesy25

Jonesy25 Well-Known Member

I think if there was a risk they would or should know about it by now :/ Maybe?

5. Minnie Mummy

Minnie Mummy Well-Known Member

I believe mum's carrying twins get scans every two weeks.

6. hans2009

hans2009 Well-Known Member

When my mom was pregnant with my sister (27 years ago) they did an ultrasound at every appointment because the office had just gotten the machine and were excited to use it. I can only imagine that machines have gotten safer and safer over the years!

I also believe that mom's carrying twins and high risk pregnancies get scans at every appointment or every other.

7. Srrme

Srrme Well-Known Member

I had a scan every 2 weeks during my last pregnancy and so far my little boy is fine.

I have read on the possible risks though and it freaks me out. I can't find any legit studies though to back it up. :nope:

8. patch2006uk

patch2006uk Well-Known Member

Some studies had suggested that baby boys who are exposed to more ultrasound scans are more likely to be left handed. That implies that ultrasound does affect the brain somewhat, we just don't know to what extent. I will be having scans every 3 weeks from 27 weeks, and that's quite a low number for a high risk pregnancy.

I personally wouldn't go for a 4D scan, as the machines are stronger and the scans tend to last longer. Medical scans are less powerful, tend to be quicker, and are medically necessary (generally), so any benefit probably outweighs any risks.

It's a bit of an unknown tbh. It probably is safe, but there might be a cut off above which it isn't safe anymore, and we just don't know yet what that might be.

9. ~Brandy~

~Brandy~ Well-Known Member

Most of us do :) I have a full ultrasound atleast 1x per month and a bedside ultrasound every 10 days or so...

Ultrasound are not like xrays the babies will be fine. I hate when people scare others with their opinions and no real document studies to back it up.

I had the same with my first 2 children and they are 21 and completely fine!

10. MommyGrim

MommyGrim Well-Known Member

I had around 7-8 US with DD as she had a heart arrhythmia and they needed to make sure she was ok. She was 100% fine and we've had no adverse effects.

This time around I've already had 7 and will have at least 5 more before babies will be here (if they stay put like I hope)

11. mummy2o

mummy2o Well-Known Member

I was watching midwives last night and some people had to be scanned daily due to small babies, or problems which might arise in medication (I have never been so scared that something could go wrong after that) so in some cases its necessary to have scans regularly. That being said I spoke to my midwife about my concerns as I had 4 scans by 14 weeks and she said as long as they were two weeks apart she wasn't worried. Then again, I'm a happy go lucky person so nothing bothers me much.

12. sharan

sharan Mummy to 1

I've been having fortnightly scans since 12 weeks due to my previous late loss. I've had 4 scans so far and am yet to have my 20 week scan and due at least 2-3 more scans.

I'm grateful for these additional scans as without it they wouldn't have known that my cervix had started shortening again and I wouldn't have had a stitch put in.