Antenatal classes - are they really necessary?

For me the classes were the best decision I made the last 9 months.
I did 7 classes of 4-5 hours each, and covered every aspect of late pregnancy, labor & birth, hospital protocol, breast feeding, and taking care of a newborn, as well as surviving the baby blues. Through the lessons I met my midwife, whose my rock of Gibraltar right now, as she will act on my benefit when the time comes, we have a lovely relationship.
We also had a psychologist to teach as relaxing techniques at every class, in addition to the usual breath exercises and physical exercises. For 5 euro per lesson, I think it was a bargain and not at all a waste of time.

I went to them with my first baby but don't think I learnt anything from them - it was over 8 years ago though and the Internet wasn't like it is now!
You probably CAN learn it all on the Internet if you find some decent websites / videos.
All I remember from my antenatal classes is that I was surprised how heavy a newborn baby is! :dohh:

I'm a FTM and I have no intention of doing an antenatal course.

I went to a waterbirth class last night which was interesting but the tour round the pool / labour rooms freaked me out because they were so small. (I feel lucky I am planning my homebirth).

Other than that, I am very educated on pregnancy, birth etc and don't need to go to a class to tell me what I already know.

Thanks girls, I do feel like I won't benefit from going, I obviously don't know everything but feel like I know enough. Hubby is not very knowledgeable, but he insists that he will learn everything from me!

With my eldest when I was having him the MWs were praising me and saying I had obviously been to ante natal classes as I was doing all the breathing right and was very calm and collected, little did they realise I hadn't been to any classes at all! Then after that I just learnt from experience really xx

Hey :) thanks for the tip! I think I will still go along to see for myself & the class is only 5 mins away! Whereabouts do you live?[/QUOTE]

From pensby, but recently moved in with my bf to Liscard ....what about you? When are you due? I am due April 20th...you going to aph?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->