antenatal classes uk?

Mummymoo_x

Reaction score
Iv just seen my midwife at my 25 week appointment...she mentioned antenatal classes. I looked into it and applied online at my local hospital. Anyone know what these classes really involve? & how much are they as it didnt mention a price?

hey there!
i had 4 antenatal classes, each session 2hrs long and covering the topics of baby safety, caring for a new baby, labor and delivery & baby and infant feeding! me and my hubby found them really good as we are expecting our first.
As these antenatal classes are run in the communities at various children centers they were free, I assumed that they all are free wherever you live? xx

I think they are free but felt cheeky if I asked! I wouldnt mind paying anyway :) I'm just waiting to hear back as I dont think they run that often and I think the spaces get filled quickly!

Well it sounds like they're worth going too anyway, thankyou :)

With my first my midwife arranged for me and my oh to be automatically 'invited' to our local antenatal classes. They were free and did everything from labour, pain relieve, breast feeding, money management. I'm glad I went but they didn't tell me much that I didn't already know from places like this website or magazines. I know the paid for ones can be more in depth and more practical though

Our NHS offers a Free 1 day course which basically covered everything but DH and I have chosen to go with NCT classes yes you have to pay but it is 6 classes and more in depth than the 1 day course with the NHS :shrug: being this is our 1st we decided it would be good for us :thumbup:

Our NHS offers a Free 1 day course which basically covered everything but DH and I have chosen to go with NCT classes yes you have to pay but it is 6 classes and more in depth than the 1 day course with the NHS :shrug: being this is our 1st we decided it would be good for us :thumbup:

Same here my hospital does a free one but I'll probably pay to do the NCT ones too.

I went to an nhs class that was ran over the course of a day. It was free and although I didn't find out much I didn't know already (I read far too much :haha:). OH found it really useful and I was really glad he came.

They discussed the processes involved in Labour, pain relief options, described possible complications and interventions that might be necessary. They also spoke about the first few weeks with a new baby, nappy options, what you should be buying for baby etc. They also cracked out the knitted boobies and discussed breast feeding.

Even though I didn't learn much I found it reassuring to go through it again and ask any questions. It was also nice to meet other local mums in the same boat! I think if you are at all worried, anxious or unsure about the whole Labour thing they are great and definitely worth doing as a FTM. Good luck :flower:

Thanks :) i'll deffo be dragging my OH along. I do look into things too but I think it'd be good for him too :)

anyone know how much roughly the paid ones are? X

The NCT course is about £160. But if your household income is under £28k ish you get discounts. The less your income, the bigger the discount. If you're under 20 or on jsa you get 90% discount as an example.

Did the NCT ones and loved it as we had a small group and are all still friends now. It's also more detailed than the NHS courses.

Our sure start centre did them, went through what happens in labour, pain relief , was free - I certainly wouldn't pay

It is worth doing though makes you more prepared

Woah! I think this course must be free otherwise it would of stated that price right?haha. I wasnt planning on going to them but my mw mentioned it so I am thinking its free but its like first come first served type thing. X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->