Anterior Placenta??

lornasmith

Mummy to a princess
Reaction score
Hi ladies, quick question...

I was just reading a thread and it mentioned alot of people have anterior placenta. I checked my notes and realised i also have one. Can anybody tell me what it actually it is? Does it cause problems?

Thanks
xxx

Just means the placenta is at the front of your tummy

It doesnt cause problems, just makes it harder for you to feel kicks an stuff x

Like emma said, its postioned at front of my belly.
It can stop you feeling kicks/movement earlier on. I didnt feel amber properly till 24-26wks with my first pregnancy & my placenta was on the back wall.

Personally after having 1 at back & front i much prefer it at the front. I feel alot of LO movements in my bum, lol!

It's only really an issue if you have a lower anterior one and that is only when you get closer to the birth as it can sometimes get in the way a little. Most of the time it's not an issue.

I had an anterior placenta with Evie, and didnt feel her move until around 20 weeks, which is quite late for a 5th baby, it did stop me feeling her move quite a lot, although tbh I dont think she moved that much, she was a bit of a lazy girl (she still is) :sleep:

I've got one, apparently, but was able to feel flutters from about 16 weeks, and am feeling quite a lot of kicks now at 22+4. But mine was noted as 'high anterior', so maybe the baby kicks underneath it. Also I read that the placenta can move around quite a lot anyway.

Like Noodles said, it's only a problem if the placenta is low (placenta praevia) and this can cause problems like bleeding and means some ladies have to have a caesaeian. I am sure they would have mentioned it to you if yours was low. Does it say on your notes if it is high or low? xxx

Like Noodles said, it's only a problem if the placenta is low (placenta praevia) and this can cause problems like bleeding and means some ladies have to have a caesaeian. I am sure they would have mentioned it to you if yours was low. Does it say on your notes if it is high or low? xxx

Yep, my US tech told me my placenta was anterior but immediately followed that up with, "But it's not low, so nothing to worry about."

I've got one but apparently it's not a problem unless it's low when it can cover the cervix and cause bleeding/create more probs during labour/birth.

Even if yours is anterior and low, it can move before birth.

Thanks everyone. It doesn't say anything about it being low. Just says anterior placenta. Im sure they would of told me if it was a problem, was just a little confused! Will definitely ask questions at my next scan! x

Mine's anterior and low lying. It's about 2cm above the birth canal. I've been offered another scan at 32 weeks. Both the mw and sonographer said it was nothing to worry about as 99% of low lying placentas move up by 32 weeks. If not, I may have to have a c section but that's not guaranteed as my placenta isn't actually covering the birth canal.

Being anterior, the mw said it can mask movement and will be later before proper kicks are felt. Again, nothing to worry about.

I've got one too. I feel her move, but she kicks towards my belly button, she did have her back to my tummy a few weeks ago and I couldn't feel her which caused me to panic, but after my scan it made sense as the placenta was blocking movements.

I had one with my son too and always worried when I never felt him, but he was a really lazy baby (Not lazy at all now though!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->