Antidepressants

Discussion in 'Trying To Conceive' started by Pusskins, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Pusskins

Pusskins Well-Known Member

Does anyone here take Citalopram?

2. calm

calm Administrator
    Administrator Moderator

The only antidepressant I have took in my life was that one, but I took it for anxiety. I really have no idea if it affects fertility as at the time I was not TTC. I do hope you have luck soon. What does your doc say about TTC whilst taking citalopram?

3. FEDup1981

FEDup1981 Mam of two & two angels

no im sure it doesnt affect fertility and its also safe to use in pregnancy in small doses - i did x

4. charlz87

charlz87 TTC Cycle #4

My doc advised me to come off citalopram if I was going to TTC, I weaned off it gradually as I was on quite a high dosage.
    I read somewhere that a study was done on mice (sorry TMI and absolutely horrible) and it decreased a male mouses fertility. But it said that no trials had be done on humans. Im sure that it doesnt though, I have a friend that conceived accidentally while on antidepressants (i think it was citalopram)
    Good luck, if you are worried speak to your doctor.

5. MissyMojo

MissyMojo Army Wife, Mam & BFP

theres links to it affecting male fertility but not female....

i was on citalopram 20mg til jan came off it cos i felt it had done its job and fell pg with flump in feb after taking off my patch, fingers crossed u get a :bfp: soon hunni

6. RobenR

RobenR Mum to miracle girl & boy

I took it for PPD after my m/c and my doctor told me that it is safe to take during pregnancy, should I need it again. The normal dosage is 20 mg, and I was on 10mg which is apparently safer all around. It's also ok to take if you want to breastfeed which is reassuring for me.

7. EmziMoo

EmziMoo Mummy to 1, expecting 2+3

I was advised to come off it before ttc. Seems quite a bit of conflicting advice on this.

8. LankyDoodle

LankyDoodle Well-Known Member

I was on citalopram for 2 years (with mirtazapine). It doesn't, or shouldn't, affect fertility. Apart from when I put on weight and then had the mirena put in, my periods were pretty regular.

It does however cause some bad side effects (I started on 40mg and upto 60mg), especially if you come off them quickly. I stopped them straight away when my therapy stopped. My GP - lovely man - was furious with me, and I ended up getting brain zaps for a few months afterwards.

I would think it all through carefully, but they certainly did help me (I'd been on a psychiatric ward, self-harmed, attemtped suicide, all sorts). Just remember that once you start them, it's a long haul thing, and they do take around 4 weeks to take full effect.

9. Pusskins

Thanks for all your comments, very interesting.

10. calm

calm Administrator
    Administrator Moderator

Don't be afraid of panic attacks, I let them rule my life... and they can't harm you... they pass. I used to take 60 mg and now I take none. I am dealing with the leftovers of my anxiety so to TTC. :hug::hug::hug::hug:

11. Pusskins

What type of anxiety disorder have you got?

12. calm

calm Administrator
    Administrator Moderator

I am going to PM you

13. RobenR

RobenR Mum to miracle girl & boy

Taking both didn't make me feel sick. Didn't make me feel too good, but didn't make me feel sick. It is recommended that you take both, so that the vitamins are well integrated into your system.

My DH said he saw a difference in me within hours of taking 10 mg. I plan on taking it again since I have now used it and trust it. Hope you make out ok!

14. Kbee

Kbee mammamia

Hi Hun,
    From what I know professionally (I work in psychiatry) it shouldnt affect fertility however use during pregnancy should be carefully considered with your dr, and should carry on if the potential benefit of the medication outweighs the risk of stopping it, if you are gonna stop then taper the dose over time to avoid withdrawal.
    If you are gonna stop then have you asked your dr about non medical ways to help with the panic attacks???
    Sorry to sound like a text book :blush:.
    :hugs:

15. staceymy

staceymy Mummy To Two Princesses

I was on Citalopram for treatment of PND & got caught pregnant on them. Total shock as we wernt ttc & slipped up once in the cycle, it took us 2yrs to concieve our daughter. Citalopram is one of the safe ADs too & can be taken throughout pregnancy.
    Hope this helps
    x

16. Mar6

Mar6 Mother of Callum

I take paroxetine for panic attcks. I was advised to come off it if I do get pregnant. It is really difficult to come off tho, have tried a couple of times so far. Good luck and hope the panic attcks stay away - remember side effects of withdrawal can feel like a panic attack so don't assume they are back! x