Anxiety About When to Do.....Everything...

Whimsy82

Reaction score
Hello mommies-to-be!

Looking for advice.

I'm due August 14th. My DH and I will be moving at the beginning of June to a bigger place. We of course won't find out the sex of the baby until 20 weeks...cusp of March and April? Depending on when my Dr. wants to do it.

I get anxiety about planning things. I have NO idea when to start buying things. Clothes are difficult, obviously, as we don't know to buy for boy or girl. And I'd prefer buying furniture after we move so we don't have to take up room here and then hull it off with us.

AND I assume I'll have a baby shower in June or July and will get things then.

But I'm afraid of waiting to long (as I often do when I get anxiety about things like planning ahead and being afraid of doing it TOO soon.) But seems there's so much to get and I'm just afraid I won't get everthing we need in time. As of now I have bought two white onesies and a stuffed owl toy (Woodland Creature type nursery :) )

Anyone have any advice? I realize I'll have anxiety about this for a while. Maybe I just need to chill out and take things as they come!

Why not write a list, then work out how much you can afford to spend each month, then allocate all of the items to the months before you're due?xx

I felt exactly the same. I was really stressed out thinking about all I needed to do. I ended up writing a list and me and my partner shared out what was to do and to buy. Once you start getting through your list and getting things done you will feel less stressed, I promise. I still have 12 wks to go but we are all ready now due to planning and getting things done, one by one. Good luck xx

I'd write a list and whenever you feel anxious about not having stuff go shopping and buy bits which you can get now. For example, vests, feeding equipment (if you're bottle feeding), stroller, nappies.

I am very much a planner and organiser. But I was relatively laid back about this. We did the buying of everything at 30 wks - mainly because of money. I bought him a few bits and pieces of unisex clothes - baby grows mainly before 20 wks. Honestly I wouldm;t do too much too soon. Even when we did the nursery at 30 wks it was kind of depressing waiting 10 wks to use it :) I did my hospital bag at 35 wks - for a stress head I did everything quite late for me :)

I would suggest that you hold onto any receipts for things you buy just in case you're given stuff at the baby shower and no longer need the things you got. With clothes, until you find out, I would just stick to unisex clothes. I'm in the same boat and am just sticking with things that would be appropriate for either-or like white onsies and yellow or green things. And I wouldn't worry! I am sure that you'll get everything you need in more than enough time.

I alleviate my MUST BUY BABY STUFF spasms with diapers and wipes and onesies. I know we'll use all those things in large quantities, so I feel like I'm getting ready for baby ewok without buying clothes that are boringly gender neutral or junk I know I will never use.

I just keep remembering what the instructor at our pre-natal classes said. Babies don't need much. Food, clean bum, something to wear and somewhere safe and warm to sleep. If you are breast feeding, you are all set. If bottle feeding, that is easy enough to pick up. Diapers and wipes are also easy. A few sleepers is good. I found we got a lot of gifts when we were still in the hospital so we had enough for her to wear for a day or two. Just do laundry. As for a place to sleep, she told us that, really, a laundry basket can work just fine if you have nothing else for the first few weeks.
Making a list of all the things you would like is a good idea. I just find it helpful to remember that they don't need a ton of stuff at the beginning. And there will be plenty of time to pick up anything you find you need after the baby comes.

I just keep remembering what the instructor at our pre-natal classes said. Babies don't need much. Food, clean bum, something to wear and somewhere safe and warm to sleep. If you are breast feeding, you are all set. If bottle feeding, that is easy enough to pick up. Diapers and wipes are also easy. A few sleepers is good. I found we got a lot of gifts when we were still in the hospital so we had enough for her to wear for a day or two. Just do laundry. As for a place to sleep, she told us that, really, a laundry basket can work just fine if you have nothing else for the first few weeks.
Making a list of all the things you would like is a good idea. I just find it helpful to remember that they don't need a ton of stuff at the beginning. And there will be plenty of time to pick up anything you find you need after the baby comes.

Yeah, but baby shopping is FUN!

Thanks everyone! I think I'm just getting super excited and ready for the baby to just be here.

I will definitely make out a list of things and buy a few things here and there. I'm ready to start buying things!!!

Yeah, but baby shopping is FUN!

Haha, no argument there!! Just nice to know you don't need to stress if it's not all perfectly ready. :)

I was the same as you with the first one and was itching the buy stuff and get ready right away. One thing that helped to to curb my planning and buying impulse was the make a spread sheet.
I made an excel file and had a must haves list, and a would like list. I put each item down in an item column, and then when I found one I liked I would write the down store and price next to it in the other columns. I would check it off when I purchased it. By doing this, I could plan out a budget and online shop without actually spending money. I was surprised by how many times my list changed over the course of the pregnancy.
Example Must Haves:
Jumperoo Fisher-Price Rainforest Target $89 purchased
Nursing Pillow Boppy Target $30

Another thing I did was make a baby registry at the stores with items I liked (target and babysrus etc). You can keep the list private so no one can see that you have one or search it. Play around, add things, remove things, research things, and when the time comes for the baby shower, you can open it up for others to see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->