anxiety/depression

myangel167

Reaction score
Hello ladies,

So does anyone on here deal with anxiety disorders or depression?

I personally have dealt with anxiety all my life, depression off and on, and panic disorder off and on. I am good at managing and controlling my emotions without medication BUT I'm worried about the future when I become pregnant. I don't want my issues to stress out my baby. I've read some posts where women say that the risks of taking medication are lesser than the risks of being anxious/depressed/panicky during pregnancy.

I'm currently not on any medication but I have taken prozac, and celexa in the past. (at different times, of course)

Is anyone worried about the same things? Has anyone been pregnant with an anxiety disorder? DId you take meds? Or do you know anyone who has?

I eventually just want a happy healthy baby! So this is something that makes me nervous...

I have dealt with both and am on medication currently (Wellbutrin and Abilify and Ativan)... I am going to stop taking the Abilify and Ativan, and possibly the Wellbutrin too.... though my doctor has said the same thing you did, sometimes it's better to stay on the medication than be depressed and pregnant.

I have suffered from anxiety and depression, especially after my first child. I went on medication after he was born and was on it until after my 2nd son was about 18 months. I managed to keep it to a quite low dose and was on Zoloft which is considered to be ok to have during pregnancy and breastfeeding.

I made my choice to go own it when I realised I couldn't function as a mum properly so it was better to try the medication. I had suffered from it a few times before children but then I choose not to go on meds but when I was responsible for a little baby I felt it was important to look after myself so I could look after him.

I guess for you it would be important to discuss it with your healthcare providers and keep an eye on how you are coping when you are pregnant and especially after you have a baby. It would be good to have some plans in place for if you do need extra help to cope.

I do. I'm on celexa which is one of the "safer" mess to be on. With my first pregnancy I took half a dose and it was hard. With the next one I'm not sure what I will do. Ideally I'd like to stop for the first trimester but I'm not sure that will work. I'm definitely MUCH better on it and I'm sure being angry and stressed and anxious isn't good for a baby so I may still take it. Not really sure.

I'm on Abilify and Quetiapine, and need to probably stop taking both or switch to a better medication for pregnancy.

I'm nervous about the change as it may be quite soon! But hopefully i'll be ok. I completely know how you feel about anxiety and on/off depression. I have Borderline Personality Disorder so I get highs and lows quite a bit. They're way better now, but sometimes I still struggle.

I have dealt with both...my depression has gotten much better, and I am finally recovery from chronic panic attacks. I was on Lexapro for a while but have terrible side effects to most medications. I have been using CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) with my therapist and am responding really well to that. I really think anyone who deals with depression and anxiety should try to educate themselves about the behavioral side of it as well as the hormonal side of it. They really play up the imbalance of hormones in the brain as the cause of depression, but what they don't tell you is just how much you can change the synapses in your own brain by behavioral therapy. I realized that I was giving into a lot of the negative thoughts that brought on depressive episodes or sent me into my panics...almost like I was punishing myself. Learning how I think and how these negative thoughts were affecting my moods has done wonders for turning my perspective around and I really haven't been more content than I am now in a long time.

If you are coping well now without medication, don't think that pregnancy will mean you need to go on medication to cope just because you have that added stress. Not everyone is the same, but I think there is a great deal to be gained from CBT, it has been proven to be just as affective, maybe even more, for dealing especially with panic disorders. Panic is just a form of OCD...your brain fixates on whatever is making you uncomfortable and exacerbates it. So by changing your thought processes helps to change the way your brain deals with the things that cause your anxiety.

I suffered with severe depression before becoming pregnant (overdose and self harm) and PND after my son was born. I also suffer badly with anxiety but don't take anything for it as I am wary of medication after my overdose. I had 7 months of counselling which helped a little but I mostly lied my way through it as I just wanted it done. I find it very hard to talk to people about my fears. I do think that I need to speak to someone it's just working up the courage.

I have been using CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) with my therapist and am responding really well to that. I really think anyone who deals with depression and anxiety should try to educate themselves about the behavioral side of it as well as the hormonal side of it. They really play up the imbalance of hormones in the brain as the cause of depression, but what they don't tell you is just how much you can change the synapses in your own brain by behavioral therapy. I realized that I was giving into a lot of the negative thoughts that brought on depressive episodes or sent me into my panics...almost like I was punishing myself. Learning how I think and how these negative thoughts were affecting my moods has done wonders for turning my perspective around and I really haven't been more content than I am now in a long time.

If you are coping well now without medication, don't think that pregnancy will mean you need to go on medication to cope just because you have that added stress. Not everyone is the same, but I think there is a great deal to be gained from CBT, it has been proven to be just as affective, maybe even more, for dealing especially with panic disorders.

I had 7 months of counselling which helped a little but I mostly lied my way through it as I just wanted it done. I find it very hard to talk to people about my fears. I do think that I need to speak to someone it's just working up the courage.

I have GAD and have had periods of depression in the past. CBT was really helpful for me but only when I was well enough to access it. The first time I tried it I lied my way through too (this is very common) as I thought if I said stuff out loud they'd say "sorry, nothing we can do!". Second time round I was very ready for it, much less depressed but wanting to deal with the long term issues that kept bringing on cycles of depression and anxiety. It was actually one of my promises to myself that I wouldn't get pregnant till I was better at dealing with my anxiety. Of course I said things out loud and found that everyone with my symptoms thinks a similar way- there are actually books which seem to have my brain spilled out on the pages for everyone to read!!

If you do need medication them there are safer ones which if they stop you from suicide or self harm are in the long run 'good' for baby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->