Anxiety disorders and pregnancy

Jewels

Wife & Aussie Mommy!
Reaction score
Hey girls,

Not sure if this is the right forum to be posting this in, but in preparation to become pregnant, I decided it was time to get off my antidepressants. I've been off for 2 months. I basically have anxiety / slight OCD due to childhood trauma. I am active in cognitive behavioral therapy every week, and I have learned many ways to help keep it under control, however for some reason it's been acting up the past week. I've been working hard to keep it from getting out of hand, and have been attending therapy more.

We're getting close to TTC, so I am excited and yet always worried about getting pregnant and the major change in hormones aggravating my problem.

It's frustrating because we've put off TTC due to my anxiety in the past, and I'm tired of allowing it to keep me from living my life. I really think I can do this if I am extremely diligent and consistent with my therapy.

Any words of wisdom / advice / encouragement would be very much appreciated! Anyone else get through pregnancy successfully with anxiety?

Hi sweetie....im so sorry to hear that you are having such a tough time. I too suffer from slight OCD,coupled with a severe phobia of germs. Ive been to therapy too,and anti depressents to cope with all of this. It usually gets worse for me when im stressed or worried. My germs phobia is the worst to have as ive got two children already and the oldest is always bringing things back from school. I dont know how much i can help,but i thought i would let you know that i know at least a little about how you are feeling. Just take it day by day,and if you feel it getting out of control do something you like to destract your mind from it. Doesnt always work for me,but most of the time t does. I know how hard it is and so frustrating as it changes your whole life.Sorry i cant be off more help sweetie. If you ever need to chat PM me. Thinking of you sweetie.:hugs:

Thank you for your comforting words natasja. I am the same - I tend to be better when I'm not stressed or tired. I was doing pretty good for several weeks then was sick for 3 weeks. It turned out that I had pnuemonia. On top of being sick, work was stressfull as well. I think all of that just possibly aggravated things.

I am going to try to stay positive and consistent and hopefully will start to feel better soon. :hugs:

I came of my meds too. I have generalized anxiety and OCD. I have done fairly well so far, the anxiety has been quiet however the OCD has flared. I have had to drive home only after just leaving to check the doors (I am a checker/toucher) more than I would like too, but I have done far better than I thought I could.

It sounds like you have done great in your therapy, and with a support system I say go for it. I don't say don't worry, cause well you know us....but just remember to take a step back when you feel it coming.

I'm glad to hear that you are doing well Moose. I am going to stay positive and not let this stuff get me down. I have decided I will not worry about being anxious during pregnancy and deal with it when it happens - if it happens. :hugs:

Hi Jewels,

I hope those people that have posted already have helped you in some way. I have suffered from panic attacks since I was 11 years old (so 18 years in total). My fear/phobia was or is being ill and dying. I think it came from my mum dying relatively quickly of cancer when I was young - it really seemed to come out of the blue. Anyway a couple of years ago I started cognative therapy for the millionth time! This time it hit home and really helped. That coupled with reading a book that did something to me inside has made me better able to cope with any panicky feelings and fears that will probably be with me for life. I too am nervous about becoming pregnant due to the hormones that will be swirling round my body, having lots of new things happening in my body and basically not being in control of my body in general. I'm sure that as long as I eat healthily and remember to relax then I'll get through it and will have a healthy and happy baby at the end of it all.

Here's to you TTC!! Good luck with it all. B4M xxx

It's really comforting to know that there are many women out there who have similar issues when it comes to anxiety. I have been working hard on my therapy as of late, and it has been helping. I know that I am on track, and as long as I am consistent, I am going to be just fine. I know it! :hugs:

Good luck and TONS of :dust: to you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->