Any advice on increasing milk supply

I ran out of Fenugreek yesterday and haven't noticed any difference in the amount I'm producing, so I think the Domperidon is having more effect than the Fen did.

Do others of you produce more if you pump more often? I've found that it makes no difference to my daily totals, though I hadn't thought of it in terms of how much "fatty" milk I might produce.

Today is a holiday! I've just "pumped to keep" for the last time in 2009, and from here on I'm discarding as I've cracked open the alcohol! Andrew is on frozen EBM for the next 36 hours :D

Great advice. Thank you. About expressing. Do you stop when the milk stops dripping. Do you do both sides and how much do you get from each side. Sometimes I only get 1.5oz on my left and I get a bit disappointed and don't know whether to leave the pump on when nothing is coming out anymore.

Also, I read somewhere (can't remember where now) that if you feed or pump too often, it creates a supply that would be based on a snacking baby. Is this true?

Thanks

Have not found anything about the snacking baby supply you mention. However, power pumping (short pumping sessions many times a day) is something a lot of women do to boost their supply so I wouldn't worry too much. Your boobs will replace whatever you take and the best practice is to drain the boobs as thoroughly as you can whenever you pump and whenever you feed (by pumping immediately after the feed if you need to). Apparently, the more empty the boob is, the fattier the replacement milk.

I pump on average for 20 mins - both boobs at the same time - every 2-3 hours during the day. During the 20 mins I usually have two let downs (milk lets down at the same time for both boobs). So when you think the flow has stopped after 10/15 mins or whatever, it's best to keep going. I find relaxing my shoulders and imagining the smell of Beth helps to trigger a second let down. The second let down is much smaller and has usually stopped by 20 minutes or so. If the milk was still coming I would continue pumping until it stopped.

I can not get a let down at all if I am being rushed or feel stressed in anyway or start thinking about someone or something I dislike.

I use compression to squeeze every last drop out. As you are coming to the end of the flow squeeze parts of the boob to really empty the ducts. I have big boobs so need both hands do this which isn't easy with a dual pump! I think I need to engineer a bra to keep the shields in place so I can go hands free! It can be a little uncomfortable (hopefully I am not doing myself any damage) but it has increased the amount I get from each session.

I have one super boob and one shit one! Together I usually average around 4ozs per session but sometimes more, sometimes less. I have been taking Fenugreek for just over a day now so am hoping that will kick in soon.

:)

I get about 4oz for the both too, although sometimes only 1.5 on one side as I said. I also use compression and really love it when you slide your fingers across your boob and get some lovely big drops out. So satisfying. I'm often a bit stressed or uncomfortable so it makes sense what you said about not getting anything. I need to work on that.

Thanks for some great advice/info.
x

Do others of you produce more if you pump more often? I've found that it makes no difference to my daily totals, though I hadn't thought of it in terms of how much "fatty" milk I might produce.

Today is a holiday! I've just "pumped to keep" for the last time in 2009, and from here on I'm discarding as I've cracked open the alcohol! Andrew is on frozen EBM for the next 36 hours :D

I notice the difference if I pump 2 hourly as opposed to 3 hourly. Admittedly the difference is small, but it usually just enough extra to cover her feeds for that day.

Hope the hangover isn't too bad! :)

No hangover! I felt so bad throwing away the milk though ...

No hangover! I felt so bad throwing away the milk though ...

I feel your pain. I knocked over my freshly expressed milk this morning :( Fuuuuuucccckkkk!

It's so gutting isn't it when you waste milk. I dropped loads on the kitchen floor and was so upset. I freaked, cried and threw a wobbly. OH just didn't understand. It's precious stuff and I want LO to have every drop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->