Any breastfeeding first tri moms?

jessmke

Reaction score
I am currently breastfeeding my 10 1/2 month old and am about 6 weeks pregnant with baby #2. Anyone else a breastfeeding mom in the first tri??

I have heard an old wives tale that breastfeeding helps to alleviate morning sickness, and although it might just be coincidental, I haven't had a hint of sickness at all yet or any symptom of pregnancy really. With my daughter I was incapacitated with sickness and exhaustion for pretty much my entire pregnancy starting at 4 weeks along, so I am a bit shocked to be feeling so good! I know the sickness can still come, but for now I am going to ride this wave of feeling good! I actually took another pregnancy test this morning just to confirm that I am still pregnant, and it was positive, lol.

My biggest fears about breastfeeding while pregnant are developing a nursing aversion, and losing my milk supply. I am hoping to at least make it to a year before my milk dries up (which I think usually happens somewhere in the second tri), but I would love to be able to feed my daughter at least until she is two. If my milk dries up I think it will be all over for us though, because she is not a comfort nurser so I really don't see her dry nursing until my milk comes back.

Has anyone suffered from nursing aversion yet? I've heard it's awful, but so far I have been fine. How are you coping if you have aversion??

Hello! I'm bfing my 18 month old ds and I also bf'd my dd the whole time I was pregnant with ds. I had ms with all 3 pregnancies and so far this time it's been the worst.

Ds only nurses at bed time, a few times during the night and occasionally nap time. I'm ok if he decides to self wean lol he's old enough.

I had nursing adversion with dd during night feeds, so I cut her off from that and would let her nurse as much as she wanted during the day. So far I have no adversions this time, but I would like to cut out his night feeds ha ha.

Good luck! I hope the ms stays away and you are able to breastfeed as long as you like!

Hello! I'm bfing my 18 month old ds and I also bf'd my dd the whole time I was pregnant with ds. I had ms with all 3 pregnancies and so far this time it's been the worst.

Ds only nurses at bed time, a few times during the night and occasionally nap time. I'm ok if he decides to self wean lol he's old enough.

I had nursing adversion with dd during night feeds, so I cut her off from that and would let her nurse as much as she wanted during the day. So far I have no adversions this time, but I would like to cut out his night feeds ha ha.

Good luck! I hope the ms stays away and you are able to breastfeed as long as you like!

We tried cutting out night feeds a few weeks ago, we managed to drop her 1 am feed, but even though she didn't need to eat at that time she was still always waking at 1 am every night and my OH had to go in and try to get her back to sleep. So I started nursing her again at her 1 am waking just because it's the fastest way to get her back to sleep and I figured she just wasn't ready to night wean. She still nurses every 3 hours at night so I am really hoping she starts sleeping longer stretches soon!

I'm nursing my 20 month old and am 8 weeks. So far the ms is worse this time. I'm nauseated all day and just want to sleep. With my first I hardly ever felt sick. No aversions to bfing but I've had some sensitivity. He only nurses when he wakes up, nap, and sleep. I'm sure he'll wean when my milk dries and I'm ok with that, we've made it farther than I imagined :)

Hi there!

I am breastfeeding my almost 2,5year old and as crazy at it sounds, I am worried about my milk drying up too and the way we will handle it. We both love breastfeeding!

I didn't have nausea with her and I don't have much this time around either. What I noticed was that my breasts didn't change much this time and I freaked out a bit (I had a chemical before and thought it would happen again) but then found out that the breasts that already doing the job often don't change much.

I haven't experienced aversion yet luckily but have a friend who did already from week 5 and cut out night feedings. Her daughter is like mine though, so old enough to reason with.

I might have escaped nausea but exhaustion..OMG! I had it bad with my first and it hit me like a train this time too. Plus for whatever reason, though DD was waking up only once or twice to feed during the night, now it's 3-4 times AND she quit napping :/

Hi Jess, I got pregnant when my daughter was 7 months old and we made it to her 9 month b-day (when I was about 10 weeks) before my milk dried up completely. She was never too much of a comfort nurser either. I'm sad that we didn't make it to a year, but I'm glad we made it as far as we did. I never did get far enough to have any issues with breastfeeding aversion, thankfully.

Nursing my 2 year old and 8 weeks pregnant. My boobs are very sore so it isn't particularly pleasant, but I'm happy to continue as long as she is, and happy to tandem nurse if that's what happens.

I started to lose milk around 6 weeks I think. There is still some there, but not as much - as a result she is eating much more food and drinking much more water. I never realised just how much her needs were still met by bfing lol.

Morning sickness not as bad this time, but still considerably miserable. I've only been sick three times but do feel moderately nauseous a lot of the time. It went at 9 weeks last time, so I am seriously hoping it will this time too!

This might seem like a silly question, but how will I know when my milk supply dries up or starts to decrease? My daughter is 10 1/2 months now, so if my milk dries up before she is a year do I have to give her formula? What if my milk dries up when she is almost a year old, like 11 1/2 months, do I give formula for 2 weeks and then just whole milk (we drink goat milk at our house) once she turns a year? We are doing baby led weaning with her solids, so sometimes she eats a full meal and other times she isn't interested in her food, so should I give her formula until she is reliably eating whole meals?

Also, I go back to work at the beginning of December, 4 days a week (I work 2 pm until midnight so I am still with her in the morning and early afternoon). I was planning on breastfeeding when I am with her and then she will get goat milk when I am at work. I don't get anything when I pump so I won't be able to pump at work to maintain my supply, will I dry up even faster by not feeding her four afternoons a week?

Sorry for all the questions, I am a little stressed about this!

I am not breastfeeding anymore but I did breastfeed during pregnancy more than once. I did suffer from aversion which was quite hard and eventually I night weaned and cut back on feeds to cope with it. DD persisted through the whole pregnancy. My milk decreased gradually but dropped way down at about 16 weeks which seems to be common. Some women find they get more again twards the end of pregnancy. I never did but DD wasnt feeding every day by then so the demand wasnt really there to keep up the supply by that point. DD stopped herself just after her brother was born. She was almost 2. DS stopped on his own during pregnancy and was just over a year old but he had cut way down before stopping. They were both very keen on solid food so I didn't worry too much about the lack of milk. DD did start drinking a lot of cows milk but DS doesnt like it. They say you should give formula if baby stops having breast milk but by the time your supply runs out your LO will likely be that or very close anyway.

Obviously it's a bit easier for me as my LO talks so she tells me pretty early on in the feed that one or the other of the boobs is 'empty' :haha:, but I can usually tell by listening to her swallow. It's much less frequent these days, and I don't really seem to have letdowns any more. As I said before too, she is drinking lots more water, so if yours has water throughout the day, you might find she drinks more if your supply is diminishing.

You might also find that she naturally increases her solid intake if she's hungrier due to milk being less readily available. Mine has done this - she's an utter pig at the moment! Whether or not you choose to give formula is a completely personal decision, though I wouldn't worry about the two week gap between 11.5 months and 1 year lol.

It may be difficult to maintain supply if you're going to have to drop feeds. I have no experience of this, so can't really say, plus it's different for everyone. You could always try a galactogogue, like oatmeal or fenugreek, as long as it's safe for pregnancy use, though if your milk is turning to colostrum, I'm not sure this would help.

Whatever happens though, I promise your LO will be fine! There's no way she'll let herself starve - nor will she be horribly affected for the rest of her life I am sure, though I agree it is worrying and probably harder for us than it is for them! :hugs:

Thanks for the replies! Yesterday was stressful because it seemed like either she didn't like the taste of my milk, or maybe I wasn't producing much because she would suck just long enough to get a let down, then pull off and not want to drink. But she is now back to drinking normally so maybe she just wasn't especially hungry or thirsty yesterday. I think I just need to relax and figure what will be will be. Maybe when I go back to work I will have oatmeal and lactation cookies for my evening meal at work to try and keep my supply up. So far no sensitivity, no aversions, and I don't think any reduction in supply, so I am just going to enjoy it while it lasts!

Heya I'm breastfeeding my 18 month old and 8 weeks pregnant with my second baby. Not sure whether I want to tandem feed yet going to properly think about that once had my 12 week scan so that I know all is well with this pregnancy x

I am tandem nursing my 18 month old and my 3.5 year old!

I nursed my (now 3.5 year old) through my last pregnancy starting when he was around 18 months. I do plan to wean the older one before the new baby.

I lost my milk around 16 to 18 weeks I think, but I noticed it waning before. Just not being able to hand express any at all when I used to get some was how I knew it was gone. Had colostrum by 24 weeks though.

I am 5 weeks 3 days pregnant and still breastfeeding my 2.5 year old (31 months) daughter. No MS yet but my progesterone is low so I am on meds for that. Anyone else have low progesterone and breastfeeding?

I gave up bf at around 6 weeks. It just got too painful and my supply was tanking, so we quit cold turkey. I wanted to do longer but it was torture. DD's been okay with it. Sometimes she still tries to latch but I just remind her "milk all gone" and she backs off. I'm at 9w3d now, and she'll be 20 months tomorrow.

This might seem like a silly question, but how will I know when my milk supply dries up or starts to decrease? My daughter is 10 1/2 months now, so if my milk dries up before she is a year do I have to give her formula? What if my milk dries up when she is almost a year old, like 11 1/2 months, do I give formula for 2 weeks and then just whole milk (we drink goat milk at our house) once she turns a year? We are doing baby led weaning with her solids, so sometimes she eats a full meal and other times she isn't interested in her food, so should I give her formula until she is reliably eating whole meals?

Also, I go back to work at the beginning of December, 4 days a week (I work 2 pm until midnight so I am still with her in the morning and early afternoon). I was planning on breastfeeding when I am with her and then she will get goat milk when I am at work. I don't get anything when I pump so I won't be able to pump at work to maintain my supply, will I dry up even faster by not feeding her four afternoons a week?

Sorry for all the questions, I am a little stressed about this!

My DD self weaned when she was 8 months old. I was devastated at first but she has always had a mind of her own and knew what she wanted. We have her both whole cows milk and whole raw goats milk and she was totally fine. She ate more solids and never lost any weight. In fact her pediatrician was always very happy with her weight, growth and intelligence. So don't stress too much. I wouldn't worry about formula for two weeks or even a month if you give whole milk, just make sure she gets exposed to lots of yummy healthy foods and she will do great. Of course watch for any dramatic changes in weight, but trust yourself and your daughter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"