Any ladies buying a bassinet first or going straight to the crib?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by ilvmylbug, Mar 31, 2011.

1. ilvmylbug

ilvmylbug Single Mom of 2 & Proud

I'm thinking of going with a bassinet, I like the idea of having the baby closer to my bed and all swaddled up - not going anywhere. But I've never used a bassinet before, with my first DD I went straight to the crib (although she slept in the swing for a while).

Any thoughts or advice?:shrug:

2. annmomof2

annmomof2 Member

We used a pack and play with a bassinet insert for our first child, plan on doing the same for this one.

3. leeni

leeni Well-Known Member

i liked having my baby next to me in her moses basket.. but they soon grow out of them!
    i think i will probably have a moses basket again, it's nice to be able to move it around the house for nap times. something that you can't practically do with a cot.
    i'd say for the money, i think they're worth having even for the short time. just for the practicalities. sorry i can't be more help! xx

4. Rachyroux

Rachyroux Well-Known Member

We'll be using a moses basket for a little while (until she's too big), then moving her into the cot later on.
    I like the idea of the moses basket. All snug :)
    And it's practical! You can pick it up and move it about.
    I got mine with a stand too for just £45 (sorry I don't know that in $)
    But it's cheap and well worth the money. You don't have to pay loads for a really expensive one because they aren't in there long apparently anyway :) xx hope that helps! xx

5. jocelynmarie

jocelynmarie Well-Known Member

I'm really debating this one. The crib is in my room, so I don't know that I actually NEED one, but with as little as they are and being that they're so used to be in cramped spaces, I think thats a lot of room for them all at once.

I seen one I liked at Target for about $75 but I'm just not sure its worth the money... I've got everything to buy still!!

6. HappyinLove

HappyinLove Well-Known Member

We have her crib in our room so no bassinet for us. The crib is so close that it's not too far to have to get her in the night. Everyone is different on their preferences but I've seen too many people who get bassinets and such and they never get used or for a short amount of time. Do what's best for you hun!

7. mummy2lola

mummy2lola Mum to 2 trying for 3

I've gone with the Moses basket to have in the sittingroom with me,a swinging crib next to the bed and a cot for when baby is bigger xx

8. Cashewnut

Cashewnut Mum to Abigail

We're being given a moses basket, and a cot, so we'll be making use of both, I like the idea of having the little one next to me anyway for the first few weeks, we did think about co-sleeping, but i roll over too much, and with the dog sleeping on the bottom of the bed as well, might be a bit cramped lol

9. Moti

Moti Angel Mommy

We have a bassinet to put in our room for now. The crib is across the hall in another bedroom.

Like Leeni said, they're portable and can be moved from room to room, so they're probably pretty convenient.

10. Mabelpye

Mabelpye Well-Known Member

I'm going to have the moses basket next to me in our bedroom untill LO grows out of it, and then move to the cotbed... but do it as a transition. The travel system we're getting has a travel cot, so I can use that for sleep time downstairs =)

11. ilvmylbug

ilvmylbug Single Mom of 2 & Proud

Thanks everyone :) Definitely considering a bassinet, just because the baby will be more comforted with smaller spaces, also I figure if this one is a teeny baby like first daughter, it should last her a good 4 - 5 months. I also like having the ability to move the bassinet easily throughout my apartment, instead of relying on baby monitors (I have a weird distrust in them!).

12. emzul

emzul Mummy to Charlie Jack

We have a moses basket, think they are easier, as you said you can move them around and do so without disturbing baby if he/she is sleeping. My OH also wants to get one of the swinging cribs.... the moses basket is lovely but I built the rocking stand myself (I did buy it, but had to construct it myself... didnt just whittle it out of an old tree! LOL)and I dont think I will trust that 100% LOL

so I think we will probs use moses basket for daytime sleeping/to be able to move LO around, then have the swinging crib for nighttime and then when LO outgrows the crib we will have a full cot (My Mum reckons we dont need all 3, but we will want more kids so they wont get thrown out, they will get re-used!)

13. stillinshock

stillinshock Well-Known Member

my sister has given me her moses basket its lovely. my neice slept in it till she was 6 months and my sister says she doesn't know how people say they dont get use out of em cause she couldn't have done with out hers. im gonna get the cot for tha baby for xmas x

14. MamaBearX4

MamaBearX4 Well-Known Member

We've bought a gliding cradle for our room. I will be breasfeeding so keeping baby nearby is needed...plus I like them being very close when they are so tiny.

15. ashley2pink

ashley2pink Mom to 4 girls

I definitely recommend getting a bassinet or co-sleeper. I have with both of my girls and only switched them to cribs(which we also put in our room) when they were starting to pull up at around 6-7 months. It makes comforting,breastfeeding etc so much easier(for nursing def get the co-sleeper bassinet) Also reduced risk of SIDS because they are closer to you(though laying them in your bed increases risk). You can see them much easier to(again especially with the co-sleeper)

16. sma1588

sma1588 mommy 2 kaydence

im going to be getting the pak-n-play with the bassinet and changing table on it so i can have everything right there wher i need it.