Any ladies NOT having a baby shower?

ilvmylbug

Single Mom of 2 & Proud
Reaction score
As my family hasn't had the greatest reaction to my 2nd pregnancy (they hate my husband, long story) I doubt they will throw me a shower, and I don't really want one from them.

I only have kept in touch with a friend or two from highschool and while they would GO to the shower, I don't think they'd be likely to throw me one.

My DH's sister lives in another state and his mother (although supportive) isn't really the type to do so either.

I would also feel really embarrassed if I had one, because only like two people would show up. :nope: I don't have many friends.

Any other ladies not having a baby shower?

All of us UK ladies!! It's not really the done thing over here. Sorry it sounds like you're having a hard time though hon, but we're all your friends on here :hugs:

Same here hun. I have never had one before and this is our third baby now. I've never been close to my family, and the ones I am close to are old fashioned so it's hard to please everyone. Plus all my friends live far away, so don't really see them anymore.
It would be nice to have one, but I would prefer baby shopping instead.
P.S Totally agree with Hopefulheath, we're all friends on here :) xxx

I'm a US lady and i'm not having one-- i only known it to be customary for first time mothers to have them. This is (God Willing) Baby #2 so i will not be having one. Doesn't bother me i had a lovely one with my daughter.

Instead of a shower i will however be having a get together once he's born i expect i will receive small things then.

I'm not totally sure yet if I'll have one. First of all, in Jewish tradition we don't have them until after the baby's born (superstition). Secondly, the majority of my friends and family are in a different country. So, if we can somehow manage to get one together the next time I visit, then maybe. Otherwise, probably not.

Im in the UK and its not really something we do over here so no I wont be having one!

I doubt I will either (although am in the UK). My family had never heard of them and when I told my grandma what it was she said 'whatever will they think of next'! I have a few friends who are scattered about all over the place - my best friend is 250 miles away but she's very much a single lady about town and has also probably never heard of such a concept and apart from that I don't really have anyone who is close enough.

I am toying with the idea of having a pre-baby girls' party anyway at my house, thrown by me, just to talk about babies etc for an afternoon. It can double up as a 30th birthday party for me seeing as I'll have a newborn baby when the day itself arrives!

We don't have many family members here in NC, and a few friends. We didn't see anyone chomping at the bit to throw us a shower, and I wanted one so badly. (My first baby.) So, my gf did what she felt was best. She is trowing me one in the name of our older daughter! We have a couple of nieces who are wonderfully creative, and love us dearly, so we are letting them help with it all. My gf, Kim, is proud, and feels bad asking the kids to pitch in, so we are letting them do what they want with it. One of them is a very talented photographer, and I am going to advertise the pics for her on Facebook. Cool trade, huh? I know I really wanted one, and even if the only people that show are my daddy (who is my only parent left) and my few family members, I know Kim is doing it for me. She already bought the big ticket items, so no one felt pressure. It's just a fun little celebration of a new life.

This is baby #2 for us so we wont be having a shower. I don't think it's customary to have a shower for a baby beyond the first. I guess it comes down to personal preference but I wouldn't feel bad about not having one. As your friends/family visit the baby they will likely bring a gift anyhow. . .

A girl I work with has just had one, and like hopefullhealth, I agree, it's not the done thing in the UK. This does like a lot of attention, she suggested it herself. She is constantly on FB moaning and complaining about every little ache and pain, and woe is me.

I don't want one, I think it's just an excuse to get people to give you presents. OH didn't even know what a baby shower was

no - i'm also a uk lady and won't be having one, its not the done thing really. xx

They are becoming more popular here in the UK. I have been to one and a friend of a friend had one. But I can't see anyone planning one for me. Which is fine with me. A lot of American traditions/celebrations meander their way over here.

Hey sweetheart! I am from Northern Ireland and not many people know what baby showers are over here (they just see it on television programmes or in films) so I won't be getting one either! In-fact, I only know one woman in my local area who has had one :haha: ALTHOUGH in saying that, christening parties are very popular here! After the Christening all your invited family and friends go out for a meal and you get lots of gifts for you and baby (very like a baby shower I suppose)... :flower:

I had my first baby 5 years ago. I don't want another baby shower, we saved everything! :) I'm in the US.

I will throw a BBQ after baby is born to introduce him and celebrate his life.

I am not expecting/hoping for a baby shower. We have a little one who will be three the month before this one is born and I can't think of anything we need besides good wishes. The few things we will need, I would kind of like to be getting ourselves to make sure we get what we want/need and there really isn't much. It seems like asking a lot to have a baby shower for any baby besides the first except if there is a large gap between.

Im sorry hun :( If you lived in Germany I would throw you one :). My friends are doing one for me they asked if I wanted to plan or if they can do it and I said they can since Ive never really had a party for me before!..they asked how many people I plan to invite and I said about 15 but expect about 6 of those people to come! They are just getting my fave food and playing some games, I didnt want to do a registry but some people wanted me to so Im just going to register for cheap stuff.

If I planned on my family throwing me one Id be waiting forever! Maybe instead of a shower you just have a girl day for you to celebrate YOU and having come so far being preggo! That actually sounds nicer...maybe a "spa" day :)

I don't believe we will be doing one. Neither of our families are close by and I would feel weird expecting our friends to buy us things. However, I have taken the hint that my family will want to purchase some things for the baby on their own as it's the first grandchild of this generation, after no babies born in the immediate family for almost 20 years.

We've started spacing out purchases so we don't have to buy all at once.

Yep, I am having one. I didn't want one but aunties have date and all set...Aug 20th (God willing) I do know that if u had one before it doesn't necessarily mean u can't have another one. You can have as many as u want especially if u had your first for one sex and u are now having the opposite sex.

I'm having #4 and haven't had one for any of my others and won't for this one. One of my friends was trying to get me to have one but I'm just not interested. I've been to a couple and they've always had silly games etc which I just don't like and I would also feel like I was asking for more presents. Usually people like to get you one after baby is born I don't expect people to get me something before it as well. Happy to go to other people's if they have one, but theyre not my thing.

I had one with my first, but it was after the baby was born because I had him early and it was planned for the following weekend! My mother threw one as a surprise when my son was 2 months old. As this is my second baby we wouldn't have one again. Plus, we wouldn't need anything because this LO will use all DS's stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->