Any ladies who had a blood patch?

GDrag

Reaction score
I need your opinions please!

I had a terrible epidural experience on Saturday morning, when LO was born, and as much as I would like to forget about it, I'm not allowed to by this epi headache!

A little background - if an anaesthetist puncture your 'dura' during the epi and it causes a leak of spinal fluid, their isn't enough fluid around your brain and you get terrible headaches, especially when sitting or standing up. Now, a blood patch is when they inject some of your own blood near the site and your blood clots and close the hole.

Now, my problem is that I would dearly like to go for the blood patch to remedy this headache seeing as it's messing with my ability to look after LO, but I do not trust the anaesthetist any more and do not want him anywhere near my spine! My ob said that the leak might close by itself in a couple of weeks but I would like to know if anyone has any experience of this? How long does it take by itself to remedy or would I have to function with this blinding headache for months?

For those who don't know, the pain is likened to a migrain but sometimes even worse. I cannot walk three steps without being supported because I'm dizzy all the time and the buzzing in my ears is so loud that I sometimes cannot hear LO cry!

Sorry for the length, I guess I'm just feeling sorry for myself and want to know how much longer I can expect to feel this pain!

So sorry I cant help but just wanted to send :hugs: it must be so awful for you.

Sorry cant offer any help but didnt want to read and run!!!
Hope everything gets better for you xx

Im sorry ive never experienced this myself so i cant help, but dont be put off by no other replies just yet as lotsa people will log on during the day that might be able to help.

Hope you feel better soon :hugs:

Thank you ladies.

I just read that caffeine helps so I made a cup and it really does, yaay!

That sounds awful! I did hear about this before having LO. Hope you get it sorted soon and someone can help xxx

Thanx Thumper . . . wish I knew about this before getting an epidural! But I had an epi with DS1 as well and that went very well, no problems what so ever.

I guess we always think 'It won't happen to me!'.

I had a blood patch 4 days after I had my son, and i totally understand you not trusting them!
I had a consultant perform mine and what a relief!
I had to lie flat and still for 4 hours after wards, and felt a very tight feeling in my back and neck for a few days after. The headache was gone pretty much immediately.
I tried caffiene too but it did nothing, I was in hospital nearly a week as i had other problems with my epidural going wrong, had to have MRI scan and so on.
For two weeks after the patch i had to take a laxative and to avoid heavy lifting so as not to disturb the clot.
It was totally worth doing as I was going blind and deaf every time i lifted my head and the pain was unbearable, it was scary but made a huge difference.
PM me if you have any questions xx

It was totally worth doing as I was going blind and deaf every time i lifted my head and the pain was unbearable, it was scary but made a huge difference.
PM me if you have any questions xx
:nope:

This sounds terrible, I think you've had it much worse than I do! There are times when the dizzyness and ringing in my ears are better and late this afternoon I didn't notice the ringing at all, even though it's back now, so I was hoping that it would clear up by itself. OH is adamant that I go for the blood patch if it isn't better by tomorrow so I'm hoping for a miracle overnight! :hugs:

I know I'm reviving a bit of an older thread but I just had a blood patch today and I'm wondering what to expect/do? They only had me lay down for an hour afterwards, but I did nap most of the afternoon....I'm really afraid I'm going to do something to dislodge the clot! I am so happy the spinal headach is gone....

I had a such a rough time with the epidural....the doctor kept messing it up and didn't work!

I had a blood patch after having a lumber puncture. I was so ill after the lumber but felt instantly better after the patch though i had to stay in bed for 12 hours after. was nervous bout having an epi with lo but had no problems with that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->