Any one diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes?

Neeno

Reaction score
i had the Gtt and was told my sugars are high now im being sent for another test to confirm whether i have gestational diabetes or not. in the mean time docs asked me to control on my sugar intake and eat healthy.
im so confused at the moment coz after googling i found different diet plans which all differ like some say eat cereals and some say dont, im just so confused and also feeling bad coz i think i might have done something wrong (eating too many sweet things or something) that caused this to happen
just need some advice from smone who has been through this and have controlled it through diet. wt do i eat and wt not
any help would be really appreciated.

I know Tyff was recently. I'm sure she'll pop up soon!
Hope everything is ok for though x x :hug:

I just had the same thing happen and am going for the "big" test next saturday. Here's to wishing us both a good result.

You would think I would know the diet we should/would be following as my brother was Type 1 since I was 4 but I seem to have forgotten all the details. Sorry I'm not more help.

I had GD with my last pregnancy hon and it's nothing to worry about.:hugs:

Best thing to do is to look for low GI foods. Cut out as much processed white foods as possible. White Bread, Cakes, Biscuits and avoid high sugar foods like jams and sweet spreads. Remember that carbohydrates in quantity get tranformed into sugars in the body so balance them out with high protein foods. If you have Jacket potato for example put Tuna and sweetcorn in it or bakedbeans so that your body will take longer to absorb it and breakdown the nutrients which gives slower energy release.

I'm having to monitor my bloods this time round too and my diet goes like this:

Breakfast: Bowl of cereal w/ milk
Lunch: Tinned or Homemade Vegatable soup w/ wholemeal sandwich followed by Fruit or Yogurt
Afternoon snack:Bowl of Cereal or some Fruit
Dinner:Smallish sensible meal ie: Jacket w/ quiche or homemade Spagetti Bolognese.

Try to avoid pastries, chips things that obviously aren't good for you normally. If you're a big eater then try to fill up on vegetables rather than having a bigger main feature and you can more or less eat as much fruit and veg as you like! Be carefull of things like melon though they have a higher sugar content than you might think. Bananas are fab and porridge is practically the perfect low GI food.

Hope this helps honey and try not to worry too much. When you start monitoring and get to grips with it then you'll find it's actually easier to regulate your food intake. :D

I know Sam (babezone) is, i'll pop her a message and tell her to reply

Thanks girls,esp angel mouse, im feeling much better after your replies

No probs hon. :D

If you get confused by what they say at hospital or anything like that then feel free to PM me. They tend to rattle it off coz they know all about it already. They don't stop to think that it might be freaking us out. :growlmad:

Gla you feeling a bit better about it. :hugs:

hey hun i gots it too....its nothing to worry about.....they will jsu get u to prick ur fingers 5 times a day to see what ur sugar levels are before meals and 2 hours after meals....and they will see if u can control it by diet first....dont think omg diet no nice stuff cus its not that at all.....its the sugars in carbohydrates u have to watch out for like for example say u have for tea *pie chips and spagetti* then u wil be bound to have a high sugar reading as all the sugars are in potatoes..mash...pasta..speggetti etc
and if for sum reason like me the diet plan doesnt work it jus means u will have to have abit of insulin to help....which honestly hurts less then pricking ur finger.....n i haaate needles.....

but affects baby wise it jus means bubs may be above averge on weight side of things and u will more then likely only go to 38weeks.

if u wan no anythin jus pop me a pm but seriously dont worry urself hun xxx

Hey!

I just got diagnosed with GD as well, and I totally understand you being freaked about it. I know I certainly was! I haven't gotten much info yet, I have an appointment to speak with a Diabetic Councellor and a Nurse on Tuesday so we'll see how that goes.

I've been doing ALOT of research, and basically diet is your biggest key to GD being "no big deal". This is hard for me as I'm not the greatest eater in the first place, and I'd much rather have a danish than some whole wheat multigrain bread with peanut butter, ya know?

For the time being, the trick is like what Angelmouse said, to eat protien with carbs. I was surprised at how many things are considered 'carbs' but the protien helps slow down the glucose release into your system, allowing for your blood to not be overloaded by it. From what I've read as well breakfast is the most important as that's when your insulin resistance is at its highest (as you've not eaten for 8 hours or so while sleeping) try to limit carbs and NO fruit juice or fresh fruit first thing the the morning.

Then again, everyone's meal plans are different as everyone's system reacts differently to certain foods and your level of GD could be different. If you do get diagnosed, they'll send you to a councellor who will help explain everything to you.

What I did (as I was FREAKED OUT about it) was went down to the Community Health Center to see if they had any info or books I could read in the meantime. I got a great book called "Managing your Gestational Diabetes" and it really helped put my mind at ease.

PM me if you're concerned, I know I appreciated the PMs I got when I had my freak out after being diagnosed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->