Any one else have in-laws you don't like to be around......

Christinee

Reaction score
I have been part of this family for 15 years and they still make me uncomfortable... In fact, if it wasn't for DH I wouldn't even put myself through the torture of being around them... They are judgmental and their family gatherings are no fun.. I always feel so out of place around them... I guess it's because my family is the exact opposite.. We are fun and so easy going and non-judgmental. Even my DH says he has more fun with my family than his own. I don't even want to tell them about this pregnancy.... I don't know why but I just don't. I am kind of feeling robbed of part of my excitement because of them. Is this odd?

Yes....I know how you feel. Honestly, just talk to your DH and tell him how you feel and that you'd prefer to keep it private until you're further along and you can't hide it any longer. It seems like there's nothing we can do to make those certain in-laws happy regardless. I had a negative reaction from mine and I regret telling them.

My experience is similar to yours. My side of the family are VERY outgoing and nonjudgmental, aswell. His family are downers, and rarely laugh at jokes. I can't be myself around them they don't have personalities.

They are worrywarts. When I had my first son, EVERY sneeze he made they would look at me and say,"did you hear that? he just sneezed…have you made a doctors appointment for him yet?" always assuming I don't know what I'm doing.

ME: We're taking him to the park and I'll make sure to take pictures for you.
In-laws: you make sure to keep an eye on him, make sure he stays away from the parking lot, and you don't turn your back from him.
ME: You don't need to run that by me, okay?
In-laws: Just saying, you want him safe, right?
ME:I know what I'm doing.
In-laws: Just make sure you keep a good eye on him
ME::gun: <-------Kidding. :haha:

LOL!!! I know how you feel! My husband and I picked out the names we liked already, and I didn't want him to tell anyone. So he went ahead and told them and I refuse to ask what they said or thought of our choices. I don't need any negativity!

I did already tell him how I was feeling.. He knows exactly what I mean because he knows how they are.. I told one sister on that side of the family ( she is the only cool one from that family ) and she is dying to tell them all. I told her not to.....

I hope she can keep it to herself. I've learned with my own in-laws....there's no such thing as secrecy. Everything comes out in the open. Good luck!

I do! I do! Mine are brutal - being around them is torture and sadly they have no interest in my dd. It's so sad.

So no girl - you are not alone. I wish it were different.

Oh yes, me.

My DD isn't my partners daughter and whilst on holiday recently he told a complete stranger he only has 1 granddaughter.... I was fuming as he has 2. She may not be blood but my partner took her on when she was 2.

I can't stand his side of the family

It's nice to hear these stories..... I feel like I am putting myself through abuse every time I go around them.. It's too bad I just can't cut them from my life all together.

I don't really have a bad relationship with the inlaws (I'm good with my sister in laws, my brother in laws are ok too) but I can't stand my husbands parents.. Not for the normal reasons though.

I've known my in laws for years.. my sister in law and I were actually best friends in middle school (we're still good friends but not as close as we used to be). But their home is DISGUSTING! Seriously... they always have lice and bed bugs and cock roaches..had ring worm a couple times too. There's always over flowing dishes, empty plates and bowls on the floor, food in the carpet, bathrooms are disgusting... I could go on and on but you get the idea... My husband and his sisters were always embarrassed by it and they were the only ones to ever clean, the other boys and the parents did NOTHING..and its still that way. my Mother in law literally sits on her butt ALL day on her computer and only showers once or twice a week.. she wears the same clothes all the time and refuses to clean or get a job or cook or do anything really.. she rarely even goes out to do anything... my father in law isn't THAT bad, he has a job but he's always taking advantage of other people and doesn't do much around the house either.. Hubby has 5 siblings, 2 sisters and 3 brothers. Only 3 live at home still (one graduates next may though and is going to live with her sister afterward)..

Needless to say we rarely go over there and if we do we don't bring the kids inside. We have only ever taken them inside ONCE and held them the entire time. They don't come around here often either (even though they live only 15 minutes from here..) never give the kids gifts for birthdays or christmas but they show up (only to steal the left over food and go..)

I don't refer to his parents as grandma and grandpa, (although my husband does) I don't feel as if they have earned the title so I always refer to them by their first name..

I don't have a bad relationship with my OH's family, I just don't like them very much. My family is very open and loving, we spend a lot of time with them.

My OH's Dad is great, but his GF is awful...some of the things she's says just hits below the belt, she's kind of the "doesn't think before she speaks" kind of person. I would prefer not to be around her.

My OH's brother is just a 18 year old stuck in a 35 year olds body, and his GF isn't any better. They are a bad infuluence, drinking and smoking pot every weekend. I really don't fit in with them and don't ever really enjoy being around them. To them I'm a total bore because I don't enjoy getting drunk and wild.

It sucks :( I do feel a little cheated...I am closer with my brother In laws family! :/

I don't have a bad relationship with my OH's family, I just don't like them very much. My family is very open and loving, we spend a lot of time with them.

My OH's Dad is great, but his GF is awful...some of the things she's says just hits below the belt, she's kind of the "doesn't think before she speaks" kind of person. I would prefer not to be around her.

My OH's brother is just a 18 year old stuck in a 35 year olds body, and his GF isn't any better. They are a bad infuluence, drinking and smoking pot every weekend. I really don't fit in with them and don't ever really enjoy being around them. To them I'm a total bore because I don't enjoy getting drunk and wild.

It sucks :( I do feel a little cheated...I am closer with my brother In laws family! :/

BeachyFeelin, me and you are neighbors... I live in Lakewood. :)

BeachyFeelin, me and you are neighbors... I live in Lakewood. :)

What a small world! I live in Seal Beach!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->