Any one else sick on Metformin?

Bee Bee

Doula expecting #2
Reaction score
Hi Ladies!

I was diagnosed with PCOS last month and ever since then I have been on Metformin. I was told to take 50 mg the first week, 100 mg the next and 150 the next. I am now in the end of my third week and I can tell you, my body does not like 150 mgs. I was doing alright the first few weeks, with brief moments of sickness but this whole week on 150mg has been pretty much a constant strain of nausea and gastro issues.

My biggest side effect is just that I am in the bathroom every 30 mins. Second is just waves of nausea. Although, I am finding it happens more when I am hungry. Luckily, I have been eating low carb since the beginning and I am on extended release so it's probably not as bad as it could be. But it's still bad enough to cause some real disturbances. :( I've already had a few "accidents" and I also found out the hard way that I couldn't even have a drink or two at a friend's wedding. (I had 2 drinks and then threw up in the bathroom an hour or so later. ugh...) Unfortunately though, I don't think it's garnering any results just yet. I started on CD1 and it's now CD21 and no sign of ovulation yet (I haven't ovulated in 6 months btw, well =, now 7) which, I normally ovulate by now. I'm going to wait one more week and if I still haven't then I'll see what my RE says. Most likely she'll have me take progesterone again to force a period. Which I've had to do the past 3 cycles.

I've heard this is a fairly common thing though so I was wondering if anyone else is suffering with me? lol

I had that too last year when I started. I became intimate with my bathroom. I was as week as a kitten. And that was 500. I might be bumped to 1000 soon! And surprisingly my doctor never made me switch to low carbs.. but then again she didn't tell me a lot of things so I left her as my PCP.

Hope you feel better hun, from what I hear it's a pretty common side effect.

I started metformin 6 weeks ago and I've been really lucky that I tolerate it well and have had no side effects. But from what I read beforehand it is really common to feel sick and have the effects you describe.

The good news is that most people say that after a few weeks you get used to it and the side effects ease off, you just have to stick it out.

Always make sure you take it with food, that helps a lot.

I used to take it for my Type 1 diabetes. Upset tummies and Diarrhea are common. Try to eat a small snack 20-30 minutes prior to taking it.

Thanks Ladies!

It's good to know that it's pretty common O:

I actually always take it with food. I take it while I'm eating breakfast everyday, near the end of it. So, I know I'm doing alright on that front.

Eat with it and ask for the extended release version

It already is ER and I've always taken it with food. I've been on it 4 months now and I still get sick on it :(

Nm old thread!
I made a couple suggestions but you've probably tried them all by now!
I've been on 1700 mg for 7 weeks, occasionally have side effects but seem to have figured out a few of my triggers.
Metformin is brutal! Hope you're feeling somewhat better!

It already is ER and I've always taken it with food. I've been on it 4 months now and I still get sick on it :(

sorry :( maybe you need to talk to doc. It doesn't work well for alot of folks. I've been on it since 9/17/14 and today it has started cauing diarrhea(tmi). Thanks goodness no terrible stomach aches....yet

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->