Any one had cavity wall insulation? (not impressed!!)

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by hypnorm, Oct 7, 2008.

1. hypnorm

hypnorm Well-Known Member

Managed to get cavity wall insulation done under goverment funding, well since they have gone i have noticed that they have broken a number of our roof tiles where they have been walking, (we can't get replacement tiles as no where seems to do them any more) and got up this am and there are poystyrene beads everywhere!!!:cry: looks like its been snowing.
    Tried to complain last night but no one was answering their phone.
    I could understand having afew beads floating around but i could probably get a good sized tesco bag full if i picked them all up... which i'm not.
    So have sent them an email and lent on the I'm 6 months pregnant and shouldnt have to be chasing people.

Wish i hadnt had it done now, i could cry as the house looks a mess and both our cars and our next door neighbours car is splattered in polystyrene!!:hissy:

2. Amanda

Amanda Mum of 3

That's really bad hun!

My brother works for a cavity wall insulation company, and he has said that these little beads are the really old way of doing it. His company only use foam.

I'd definitely complain. Oh, and definitely play the pregnancy card!:hugs:

3. hypnorm

done on a heating grant so thats probably why they used the cheap stuff.
    I'm hoping its just excess loose beads and not them coming out from some where! its all going down the street now! i suppose only a few hand fulls of poly will look like alot!

4. Amanda

Amanda Mum of 3

Do you want me to tell you a funny story about insulation Hypnorm? Might cheer you up a tad.....

Years ago, my friends sons hamster escaped. They thought he's gone for good, then about a week later, could hear a scratching in the wall. So Richard decided to move a large cabinet and cut a small hole in the wall plaster behind to see if they could get the hamster out. It took ages to move the cabinet (it was old and heavy), then he spent another hour labouriously cutting a square out of the bottom of the plasterboard with a small handsaw. When he'd done, he pulled the square out, and the whole walls worth of tiny little polystyrene balls spilled into the living room, with a little hamster on top riding the waves like a surfer!!! :rofl::rofl:

5. hypnorm

:rofl: bet that took some hooovering!!

Well the builder has been and he thinks he found where the beads were coming from and has sealed the hole.
    There was also a drill hole that they had missed, he thinks that he can get some tiles so he will be back next week but has covered the broken tiles so hopefully the roof wont leak.

6. hypnorm

Also down as i can't find any of my 0-3 month clothes!! got a feeling i may have either given them back to a friend by acccident or thrown them away.
    there was some good stuff in there too.,