Any other pregnant vet techs?

ColoradoMomma

Reaction score
Hi all!

I am 31 weeks and going strong! Baby girl and I are doing quite well, and as I type this, she feels like she's channeling her inner marathon runner! :dog:

I was just curious if there were any other vet techs/animal nurses in here! I work as a surgical vet tech and I'm currently in school working on a pre-vet degree with vet school in my sights (Though that may take a bit longer now! :lol:).

As a surgical technician, I mostly work with animals healthy enough for surgery, so it's very rare that I am exposed to any particularly nasty drugs/diseases/anything like that. The biggest hazards I face are exposure to anesthetic gasses and aggressive patients, and our shifts are 10 hours long, so that has been a big struggle.

My employer is a small, non-profit surgical clinic that is BEYOND supportive! Neither of the head veterinarians have had children, but our clinic manager just had a baby last year, and she has always acted as an advocate for me. Honestly, the hardest part for me has been having to take it easy. I really dislike having to ask for help lifting, or requesting shorter shifts, or avoiding handling situations that I would never have batted an eye at before considering the health and safety of my baby! I always used to pride myself on my fear-free handling of aggressive patients, but now I try to avoid handling aggressive patients at all, and it makes me crazy!! I can't wait to return to clinical work after maternity leave.

Anyway, enough about me!
To all my fellow technicians (or veterinarians!): what have you found to be the hardest part?? And is your employer supportive and accommodating? I'd love to hear your stories and thoughts about being pregnant on the job!

Thought I’d bump, hopefully some vet techs will come around. I had always wanted to be a vet or vet tech my whole life but I couldn’t stomach it :)

Animal care is pretty much my life. I have so many types, including horses so I get what you mean about taking it easy. I strongly dislike having to wait for someone else to get those 50 lb feed bags lol. I cannot ride or train any of my 3 horses, which includes a 3 year old and a 10 month old weanling. I’m 20 weeks and I’m just dying to do all the heavy lifting and hands on work that comes with animal care taking. Ugh, sorry just a rant, but I’m sure you understand!

Anyway hope you’re doing well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->