Any other remedies for constipation?

tu123

Reaction score
Please!!!

I knew it would happen after a three week bout of D and V but it seems to be getting worse. Small hard stools that sometimes lead to blood in teh nappy due to small cracks on the bum hole:nope: She howls in pain when trying to pass a poop and it smell AWFUL and stale when something does pass.

She was advised LF milk which certainly helped but i have put her back onto her regular Hipp as her bowels were sorted with this.

She has had lactulose 2.5ml twice a day for four days with no success.

She will not drink water so she has had one 150ml bottle with just one scoop of milk in for flavour.

She has always eaten plenty of fruit and veg. I have tried prunes with OJ with no effect.

Any other ideas?

:thumbup:

Someone once told me to rub their belly.... now I can't remember if it was anti-clockwise or clockwise! My OH used to do it to Stephen when he was slightly constipated and it helped with the discomfort more than anything I think.

I no peas are good for katie, and pears. I thought not using enough scoops of formula was dangerous? Id probs ring the drs this mornin tho hun n ask them xx

I no peas are good for katie, and pears. I thought not using enough scoops of formula was dangerous? Id probs ring the drs this mornin tho hun n ask them xx

The GP said at her age it was fine and to just give lactulose. I dont think my gp takes it that seriously:shrug: I know that in the scheme of things it isnt serious but the poor mite is so uncomfortable.

Up the lactulose and keep giving a watered down bottle although not every bottle.

Macy gets 4ml lactulose 3 times a day so 12ml per day, sometimes more if her constipation flares up badly so it's likely your LO needs more to make a difference. Sometimes you have to start with a higher dose for a few days for a clear out (TMI) then reduce it.

I'd go up to 3.5ml twice a day, put it in the milk as it works best this way and try to get her to take sips of water from a sippy cup - get one of the free flowing ones and just pour a teeny bit into her mouth a few times with every meal.

Also, the more solid food is the less likely it is to cause constipation (weird huh). Try to give more wholefoods rather than purees xx

Warm prune, apple, and pear juice was always what worked on my LO, 1 oz water to 1 oz juice...and then about 20 minutes later a warm bath...and voila! we would ALWAYS have poop!

Up the lactulose and keep giving a watered down bottle although not every bottle.

Macy gets 4ml lactulose 3 times a day so 12ml per day, sometimes more if her constipation flares up badly so it's likely your LO needs more to make a difference. Sometimes you have to start with a higher dose for a few days for a clear out (TMI) then reduce it.

I'd go up to 3.5ml twice a day, put it in the milk as it works best this way and try to get her to take sips of water from a sippy cup - get one of the free flowing ones and just pour a teeny bit into her mouth a few times with every meal.

Also, the more solid food is the less likely it is to cause constipation (weird huh). Try to give more wholefoods rather than purees xx

Thank you! I was thinking 2.5 mls twice a day was not enough for her. She is the size of a twelve month old and the normal dose probably has little effect!

I only give her one watery milk drink a day as i try sippy cups (no success for 3 months now!) and spoons of water and she spits it out!

Thank you for the wholefood idea. She has finger food for dinner and purreed lunch so il try finger foods only for the next few days.

Thanks so much:flower:

Warm prune, apple, and pear juice was always what worked on my LO, 1 oz water to 1 oz juice...and then about 20 minutes later a warm bath...and voila! we would ALWAYS have poop!

I'll give it a go!

It's an old school remedy but it's very good, a bit of warm water mixed in with a little brown sugar and just give it to your lo on a teaspoon, or try some dried apricots xx

It's a bit 'out there' some may think, but reflexology on Louie's feet sometimes makes him go. The spot you need to stimulate is on baby's left foot (on your right when facing you) is the outer right side of the foot halfway between the middle of the foot and the heel (google reflexology points and look for the spot for the 'descending colon').

Also tummy massage you need to go across to the right and downwards like an upside down L shape.

Obviously the massage and reflexology are just extras on top of what your already doing, it might help if you've tried everything else!

Hope she gets some relief soon, constipation is horrid! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"