Any over 35ers trying IVF for the first time?

TLK

Reaction score
I'm 38 years old and have been ttc #2 for over a year. I conceived DS naturally but am having much more difficulty this time around (including 2 mc), likely because I was 36...I have tried clomid but no success which I'm not surprised over because I was ovulating fairly regularly (CD18 of a 33 day cycle). Anyway, iui seems like it won't be that helfpul so DH and I have decided to go the IVF route. I supposed we could have "wait and seen" and just kept trying but I know that IVF success rates also drop significantly towards 40 years so I'm thinking I need to give it my all and try. I'm sooooo nervous. This is a huge expense on us (as it is likely for many families) and the chance that it won't work is also rather high. But I'm hopeful. Is there anybody else who is in a similar situation who would like to be my buddy? It's not the same talking to my DH about it - he is so much more "what happens will happen" and I'm like "that's crap - let's get the ball rolling!".

Love to hear from you girls!

Take care,
T

Hi TLk, my story is a bit different but I would love to chat and share journeys anyway!

Like you I conceived baby no 1 easily, although I was 31 at the time. We've since been ttc no 2 for 2 years. I've had 1 mmc at 12 weeks and in January I was diagnosed with low amh so I have a low ovarian reserve. I'm 35 now.

I've had 1 ivf where we did get 6 eggs but ended in bfn. Second attempt I fell ill and follicles didn't respond so we converted to iui, bfn. Going for third attempt in late November and looking for buddies to chat to!

As I've been through it before, I can probably help if you have any questions. X

Hi, I'm similar to you two.. I had baby #1 at age 33 after 9 months of trying... My first cycle of clomid and timed intercourse worked. Now I'm 35 and its been about 10 months (4 failed iuis). My plan, if my current clomid+timed cycle fails, is to try two cycles of injectables + iui next, and then move on to ivf in December. I'm so nervous about this.

Did you consider injectables+ iui?

Hi sassy! Sorry to hear you are going through similar issues. Have you had any diagnosis or had your amh tested?

I didn't try iui I was told that the increased chance of success for me was very small (I was ovulating, dhs sperm is good, timing wasn't an issue and I've easily got pregnant before) and since time was of the essence with my amh, they said to not waste my money on iui and go straight to ivf which we did.

I know it works for lots of people though so fingers crossed you are one of those!!

X

Hey ladies! Can I join? I'm 37, but won't be doing ivf until next spring(?), as I have some weight to lose still & we are not financing so still have to save up about $3k.
I have 2 kids, conceived easily in my 20s with my ex. Long story short, got a ligation when youngest was 1, got a divorce, met now dh & married at 30. He has no children, so we decided to do a reversal, which I regret, i have short tubes with 1 probably blocked & dh ended up with mfi.....So far we have spent enough to cover a full ivf cycle, but have nothing to show for it except 2 m/c. We did 3 iuis, with a bfp on 1st try(blighted ovum) & did have a surprise bfp that we lost in Sept. Its been a long, hard road. Holding out little hope of a successful, unassisted bfp, so ivf here we come! Hoping this thread will be our lucky one!

Hi cupcake, is ligation like having your tubes tied? It sounds like the reversal did partially work? I'm sorry you are having so many issues concieving. I've only had one miscarriage but its devastating when it happens so I'm sorry for your losses.

It's great that you've decided to go for ivf though, have you decided on a clinic? It will be spring before you know it, time flies! We self fund too so I know how expensive it can be! Good luck with your weight loss and here's hoping for a miracle bfp before spring!

Xx

Hi sassy! Sorry to hear you are going through similar issues. Have you had any diagnosis or had your amh tested?

I didn't try iui I was told that the increased chance of success for me was very small (I was ovulating, dhs sperm is good, timing wasn't an issue and I've easily got pregnant before) and since time was of the essence with my amh, they said to not waste my money on iui and go straight to ivf which we did.

I know it works for lots of people though so fingers crossed you are one of those!!

X

My AMH is in the low 20s. The only issue they could find is bad motility/morphology. His SA results look about the same as three years ago though. I'm getting conflicting advice from my family doctor (keep trying, it will work again), and the fertility clinic (injectables, ivf).

Wow, your amh is amazing! Mine is 3 haha! I think it's definitely worth an iui then. They wash the sperm and so only the strongest swimmer are left, you've got pregnant naturally so hopefully you'd have a good chance with iui.

If you do go for ivf (or icsi possibly) at least with your amh you'd hopefully have lots of eggs and some to freeze so that if the first cycle didn't work you wouldn't need another fresh cycle but just a fet maybe.

Hi cupcake, is ligation like having your tubes tied? It sounds like the reversal did partially work? I'm sorry you are having so many issues concieving. I've only had one miscarriage but its devastating when it happens so I'm sorry for your losses.

It's great that you've decided to go for ivf though, have you decided on a clinic? It will be spring before you know it, time flies! We self fund too so I know how expensive it can be! Good luck with your weight loss and here's hoping for a miracle bfp before spring!

Xx

Yes, It's the same thing & I guess it did work per say, but since my for sure open tube is SO short, it doesn't allow the follicle to mature enough to implant properly, or so I've been told? I have read of a few with shorter tubes having a successful pregnancy though. Who knows? Just hoping IVF is the key to our THB.....We have been TTC for 3 years in Nov. so I'm over it lol

Xx

Yes, It's the same thing & I guess it did work per say, but since my for sure open tube is SO short, it doesn't allow the follicle to mature enough to implant properly, or so I've been told? I have read of a few with shorter tubes having a successful pregnancy though. Who knows? Just hoping IVF is the key to our THB.....We have been TTC for 3 years in Nov. so I'm over it lol

I'm trying to decided between Tennessee Reproductive Medicine in Chattanooga or WIN Fertility in Knoxville, but am leaning toward TRM....Where do you cycle?

Maybe would the embryo have trouble getting to your uterus I the tube is shorter? Not sure, the fact that you've had pregnancies though shows that the egg is fertilising and getting from your ovary to your uterus. I think you'd have a great chance with ivf!

I am in England so cycling in London. I can imagine how over it you are after 3 years, its such a long time to wait for something we want so badly. We started TTC 2 years ago now and that feels like a lifetime! I am just desperate for a sibling for my dd as soon as possible.

London! That neat, always wanted to visit, but have yet to travel outside the U.S. was your dd natural conception? I'm hoping we just need help getting a good sperm & a good egg together lol

Hi all I just wanted to briefly share my story with you.....I was trying to conceive for 8 years finally had the money to pay for IVF. My first attempt they only retrieved

Sorry don't no what happened then.....the only retrieved 3 eggs 2 fertilised and I had both eggs put back!!! Bfn !!! I then had another attempt used the same drugs but just increased the dose .... They retrieved 24 eggs and 14 fertilised....7 made it to day 5..... Had 1 put back ....bfp ds.
6 frozen. Had one put back in June.....bfp but mc at 8 weeks .....had another one put back last Saturday and now waiting for the results fx... I wish you all the luck in the world and you will go through every emotion you have but if you get the results its with every tear !!! GL everyone xxx

Cupcake - I lived in New Hampshire for a year but would love to visit other areas of America. I only visited a few places - New York, cape cod, Vermont, Boston. I love travelling but it's only holidays these days of course. Yes my dd was natural conception first time ttc!! I was one of those smug people! Then we ttc for no 2 and got bfp first time again. We lost that one at 12 weeks, it was a big shock.

Smirn hello, thanks for sharing your story. Wow what a difference between your first 2 cycles!! Amazing results. I really hope this fet is another bfp for you! Feel free to stick around and join in the chat. Keep us posted on your results. Good luck xx

Hi everyone - I'm currently waiting for AF to arrive - about 20 more days before I start IVF.

How is everyone else doing?

I just saw this thread and wanted to quickly share my story. Like you I conceived my DS without any issues. We struggled with Secondary Infertility and trying every month for over 3 years before we finally decided to get some help. (We were dealing with MFI). We did 2 IUI's which both failed which suggested my age was also working against us as they really thought the IUI would work. Anyway long story short just before I turned 36 we did IVF. We ended up having to do a FET which I am now glad for.... On my 36th Birthday I got my first BFP in over 3 1/2 years and I am now 14 weeks pregnant!! It can happen so stay positive and good luck to you all xxxx

Hi TLK! I hope af turns up promptly and doesn't keep you waiting! The next 20 days will fly by and you'll be on your ivf journey before you know it!

Hi whiteorchid, thanks for sharing! I've seen you on various other threads including the one in secondary forum. So pleased to see you have your rainbow on the way, big congrats xx

How was everyones weekend? Weather is awful here today!

Thanks for the encouragement ladies!!!

Not alot going on here...AF is on her way out :happydance: My Dr. has offered to prescribe Clomid or Femara when I go back in for my repeat PAP next month..He still thinks we will get our keeper without IVF, me not so much with crappy sperm & a short & possible blocked tube:nope: So, to be proactive, I think I'm going to try Cator oil packs for a few cycles & I'm doing Soy Isoflavones this cycle....Yeah probably grasping at straws, but I like to feel like I'm DOING something:shrug: Who knows since we did get a natural bfp in August, just maybe dh will have another silver bullet hiding in there :haha: Thinking I will take my Dr. up on the meds as well when the time comes too, can't hurt anything, so why not??? Not being too hopeful, but like I said you never know......

The weather here has been wonderful today! :happydance: Sunny & 85 degrees! Painted on the deck for almost 3 hours & thinking I just may get it done this week!!! Lots of home improvement projects on my to do list still tho, but I enjoy it...I did restart WW this weekend & so far so good!

Took this test today what do you guys think ? X:nope::nope::thumbup::thumbup:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 14

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member