Any photographers on here, i have a question

Abz1982

Mum to 2 nutters!
Reaction score
If you have your picture taken and its used on a flyer for a business, who does the image belong to if you didnt sign any forms?

my sister did flyers for her mates business, and the photography company are using the picture on their website as example of their work (fair enough) and on flyers. Thing is sis isnt happy about it as she only gave her mate permission to use it in her shop, not for distribution.

Am I right in thinking tho that the photographer owns the image? Sis wasn't paid for the picture, as it was for a mate.

Was it a company? There is usually something written about copyright in the small print if you dont sign any contracts, look on their website

That's what I thought Gizmo.

But..............her mate who is a photographer said that they should have asked her to sign a release form meaning they can use her image for promotion.
When I did a TV advert we had to sign a release form to allow them to use our image.

In the event that no release forms were signed the photographer still retains the copyrights and can do whatever they want with the material within reason..... hope this helps.

i do photography and i always ask them if i can use their photographs, and i always tell them what i would use them for i.e - website, in my album of work, and if i was to put them on flyers, i always make sure they are ok with this first and if not, promise not to use any, it wouldn't of hurt of them to explain that they will be using them, but maybe im just too nice and that haha. xxx

The photographer owns the copyright unless they sell it (not sell the pictures, but sell the copyright, you can sell one without selling the other). You can get a model release form, but they don't really hold any legal substance, since the owner of the copyright is the photographer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->