any primary school teachers here?

dovehouse

Reaction score
i go back to work this week and only just found out pregnant!got first midwife appointment this thurs, reckon i am about 6-7 weeks preg, its a bit complicated! should i be worried about anything ie germs, plyground duties or teaching pe????? think i will tell my hod and head after my 12 week scan, unless i suddenly develop really bad ms which affects me teaching!!! should i tell nyone else?husband doesnt think i should tell anyone at all, we dont want to tempt fate and al that!only told our parents so far. gotta take time out for appointmet on thurs, just going to say got an appointmetn and if they ask what i will say its private and would rather not say! iam fnding it so hard not to tell people!! i am scared they will guess, cos i do need to go to the loo much more and i have put weight on (not really pg linked though!!!!my own fault for eating too mcuh this summer hols) but my boobs have grown loads!

Follow basic hygiene rules and hope none of the kids brings a virus. I recommend a bottle of the alcohol gel to regularly use on your hands as well.

Wife is a 4th grade teacher.........hand sanitizer is your friend!

Hi there,
I am a Reception Class teacher too and return to work on Wed.. kiddies back in on Thurs! I'm 5 weeks pregnant for the second time (...sadly had a miscarriage in June this year at 8 weeks.) With my last pregnancy I only told my teaching assistant no one else at School. However, when I had my miscarriage I had to take time off work and so had to tell the secretary, head and deputy head what had happened. Actually they were very supportive and I wish I'd told them before as maybe they'd have been a bit more sympathetic about my workload during those first few early weeks! This time I am going to tell my Head and Deputy... probably at the end of this week or the beginning of next. I am going to request an early scan and have a meeting with the midwife in a couple of weeks, so I am going to need to be out a bit so want them to know why. However, only you can decide what is right for you... you know your situation best! I am going to make sure I send children home asap if they come in with bugs... again my Head knowing should help in supporting this decision! Other than that good hygiene, gentle PE lessons and avoid lifting heavy objects (...not easy in our line of work!)
Hope this helps
KTP x

i was a primary school teacher and went back in september 2008 at 8 week pg. i decided to tell everyone, because if it all went tits up, they would all find out anyway!

you dont need to worry about germs and all...you would have built up an amune system whilst working there anyway! just watch out for children with behavourial difficulties that could lash out and you may find bending over little tables and chairs all day difficult!

Hi! I teach 4th and 5th graders!! I wasnt planning on telling anyone but my principal until about 12 weeks but I have had really bad ms since about 5 weeks, so everyone pretty much figured it out. Its funny how everyone tries to be your "mommy" and tell you what youo should and shouldnt be doing? (This is my 1st) I normally never sit down but I'm always sitting now and hand santizer is my friend. I am also eating constantly to try to waive this sicknees. Someytimes it helps, most times it doesn't.

Good Luck!!

I'm not a primary school teacher - I teach and support students in an FE college. I have told work though as I go back tomorrow and have my first scan on Friday and I thought it was only fair to give more than a couple of days notice.

Work also have to carry out a risk assessment to make sure none of my duties are unsuitable, if you are worried about playground duty or teaching PE maybe you should talk to your head? They should be able to arrange for you to swap with another teacher from the same year group for the PE classes and could possibly arrange something for other suties too.

What is it that concerns you about playground duty?

Enjoy the final days of your holiday!

x

I also teach Reception. I told my TA and my headteacher after my first midwife appointment at 9 weeks but nobody else. I'm glad I did as the TA took over all the heavy lifting, getting the bikes out etc and the head was very understanding about time off for medical appointments and was there to talk to when I was worried about swine flu etc. I still taught P.E and did playground duty right up until the end of term and will continue to do so until I feel that it is too much for me. I asked my mw about the dangers of working with little ones and all the germs and she said not to worry too much. Chicken pox is one to watch if you havent had it already, otherwise it is no problem, and also slapped cheek can be a worry but most people are immune to it already. As others said hand sanitiser is a must!

Hi I am a primary school teacher and I told my headteacher at 4 weeks. A couple of teachers know as well. It really helps as they dont give you jobs/activities that you should not do. I have just told the rest of the staff at 14 weeks.
I will tell the children after my 20 week scan.
I do wash my hands a lot and before I eat. I have had all the childhhood diseases so that is ok. I still teach all subjects and playground duty.
Hope this helps.

Hi there! I teach first grade in the States. I have told only my principal and cooperating teacher and my instructional aid. It has really helped them knowing b/c i do have bad m/s and i have to pee an awful lot! My doctor is requiring my to get a flu shot and a Swine flu shot as a prevention. Other than that, I Lysol everything daily and sanitze me and the kids as much as possible (I did this anyway). Needless to say, we've been in school for a week and I am stuffed up already!

I teach 2nd grade. I found out I was pregnant the weekend b4 the kids came back. So - basically I was 4 weeks along. I just make sure to wash my hands A LOT, and make the kids do the same. I also spray down the room with disenfectant spray about 2-3 times a day (When they go to specials, after school, and then random other times).

I was pregnant last time with DS when I was teaching 3rd grade Did the same things. And if kids come in the tiniest bit sick - I send them home! Serious. I hate being sick, but its even worse when preg cause you really can't take much to make yourself feel better... so I avoid the germs amap!

ok well today is my first day back, its a training day, not plannin to tell anyone yet, but gotta tell my line manager i need to go to an appointment on thurs (midwife!!!!!!!!!but not sayig that) then after the appointemnt wehn i go back i may tell the head and my line manager depending on what the midwife says and how long till my scan! feeling ok so far, this is my first morning getting up early, although tomo wil be earlier....eeeek! put on loads of weight anyway, regardless of being pg......dreading seeing everyone!!!!!!and having to keep shtum.
got my hand gel stuff ready!!!!

Good luck dovehouse! I think you should play it by ear and see how it goes because if things are complicated or you are feeling terrible then actually having the support of your colleagues etc is invaluable!

Good luck and congratulations!

hi, so had my first day back athough was in an hour later than normal as it was a staff day. felt ok, didnt manage cereal so had a crumpet!! wasnt sick just didnt feel in the mood for mlky things! told my line manager i had an appointemnt and she didnt ask any questions!woohooo! felt a little puky during the meeting but managed to get over it without having to leave the room! and there was a massive heavy box on my desk which i asked my teaching assistant to move as i 'had a sore back'!!!!! will see what the midwife appointment brings on thursday as to when and if i say anuthing yet!!
thanks for all your help
x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"