Any suggestions for a terrible sore throat?

Mommy2missR

Reaction score
I'm only 4w3d and have already gotten my traditional first semester cold.... -_- I was much further on with my last when I got sick so was able to take something... Any suggestions? Salt water is not helping, nor is tea... I can hardly swallow :-( TYIA Mommas.

Hmmm darn I was gonna say salt water actually :/

Do you know for sure what's causing the sore throat? If it's congestion causing it, then increased fluids & water -> thins mucus -> relieves congestion -> relieves sore throat

Have you looked to make sure you don't have white spots on your throat, on the off chance that it might be strep or tonsillitis? I only mention this because of how painful you say it is--both of those would require a doctor visit and antibiotics :/

U poor thing. I also got superrrr sick the day I got my bfp actually. It was awful. Unfortunately aside from Tylenol there isn't much u can take! If u can manage drink loads of water to clear out the virus and sleep as much as u can. Try honey and hot milk for the throat. Hope u feel better soon xx

I had no idea getting sick in the first trimester was a thing! I had a cold, but no sore throat. When I do have sore throats, I find mixing lemon and honey in a pretty high concentration with just a little bit of hot water and taking teeny tiny sips seems to coat the throat and ease the pain a bit. Kind of like honey-lemon lozenges which I can't have because they make me puke, pregnant or not!

Edited to add: Use fresh lemon, not bottled. Works much better.

Go to yr doc if it worsens. I wld go fr lemon tea, hot milk & honey to sooth the throat. Hope you get well soon!

Look up lymphatic massage by Heather Wibbels on Youtube. Might actually just link it here.

If you can stand it, licorice root tea or slippery elm tea will coat your throat. Try steam with peppermint ??? Will give some inflammation relief.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA-wi0d7-Ro

Lemon and honey tea worked really well for my throat when I got sick

Here is the list I got from my first OB appointment of okay meds to take when pregnant and have cold/flu:
Sudafed/Sudafed PE
Zicam
Chlor-Trimeton
Mucinex
Benadryl
Claritin/Claritin D
Robitussin-Regular Strength
Robitussin DM
Saline Nasal Spray
Cough Drops
Hope this helps! :)

Users who are viewing this thread