Any tips for getting baby to sleep in their own cot/crib?

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by Suze, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Suze

Suze Mummy to Ava & Oscar

We're having terrible problems getting Ava to sleep in her crib. She goes fast asleep anywhere else but as soon as she is put down she wakes and screams. We have tried letting her cry for a short while there but the whole process has been taking up to 5 hours this week resulting in her sleeping in with me as it gets to 3am and no-one can cope any longer!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. AnnaHughes

AnnaHughes Well-Known Member

Do you swaddle? I find that this really helps us - even now at 3.5months old

I have never tried, but heard many pple say that if you put a hot water bottle down and warm the cot up, they get the feeling like they are being cuddled and comforted from the warmth ( obviously dont leave the hot water bottle in the bed!)

Have you got a mobile - it keeps reuben quiet, and by the time it has finished its cycle - he is asleep, no matter how much he fights it!

3. Suze

Suze Mummy to Ava & Oscar

I was wondering about swaddling as she liked it when she was younger, do you put the arms/hands in? And also what do you swaddle in cos was worried about her being too warm. We thought the mobile was working the other day but then she started whacking the box of it in a rage :rofl:

4. AnnaHughes

AnnaHughes Well-Known Member

Reuben also hated being swaddled, till he was around 6 weeks old.

I use a blanket, not one of the celular ones, the ones like that i have are either too small, or massive! - just a baby blanket, big enough to wrap round LO so he cant get out!

We do swaddle his hands, as that was our main problem, we would put him down (awake) but he would box with his hands and keep himself awake!

To stop him from overheating, we swaddle when he goes to bed (around 7:30pm)and then when i dream feed at 10:30pm, swap, and put him in a sleeping bag. I can then sleep knowing that he isn't going to get himself all tangeld in the blanket in the middle of the night!

We have also always slept with our bedroom windows open ( cos thats what me and OH like, so were told to continue by HV, but dress baby accordingly) so i think this helps when he is swaddled, not overheating.

5. honey08

honey08 mum2two boys/2mc

morgan can get out of his blanket if we swaddle him :dohh: n if i do it tight so he cant hes laid making awful noises he just doesnt like it anymore........im having same problem tho suze , the other night when i fed him at 3am we ended up sleeping downstairs him on one sofa and me on the other !

6. Kitten

Kitten Mummy to Theakston & Nyah

We swaddle and wait til he's fast asleep before putting him down. I've found he's better off in the bouncy chair during the day because I think the transition from slumped forward to lying on his back is what wakes him up. We also do it really slowly, in like stages so there's no sudden movements to kick up the startle reflex. He also sleeps on lambskin which seemed to make a big difference, it's supposed to be the closes thing to skin.

7. PeanutBean

PeanutBean Mumma to Byron & Indigo

Byron was the same so in the end we co-slept. He would scream all night then at 6am when DH had to get up for work would finally fall asleep. We tried everything we could think of and nothing helped so we moved him into our bed about 8 weeks or so and he stayed there until 6 months when he told us he was ready to go in the cot on his own. He then moved into his own room at 7 months and is very happy there.

8. Rah

Rah Mummy to 2 princesses

This is exactly what we did until a few days ago
    Now we bath, massgae and feed then straight into sleeping bad shes dropping off during the feed thanks to the massage and save me having to fight with the huge celular banket lol

9. june09

june09 Mummy to Mia

Don't have any tips, but hope you get it sorted soon. Mia used to do that, tried swaddling her and she hated it. Then just tried everything I could think of, she ended up sleeping in with me most nights. Then one night out of no where I got her to sleep and put her in her cot and out of no where she slept all night, and we've never looked back. She wont go in until 11 at night though, and wont stay there any later than 7am. And if I put her in anytime in the day she screams the place down, but luckily she seems to have got into a habit of sleeping there at night. No idea what changed that one night though. Hope you get it sorted soon!

10. saraendepity

saraendepity Daisy's Mummy and TTC!

daisy is virtuall identical your lo!! except some nights she wakes up a bit early n i have to bring her in with me :shrug:

sorry i no this is no help to you suze....is she in any sort of night-time routine??? if so have you tried tweeking a bit so to break the cycle?? do you put her down asleep or awake???? :hugs: i'm sure it'll get better very soon :hugs:

sara

xxxxxxxxx

11. MrJoeBoy

MrJoeBoy Guest

Hi,

I really think the key is to get them to fall asleep in the crib. Think about it, if you fell asleep somewhere really cosy and warm then felt yourself hit a cold open space you'd probably wake up too. Also if she does fall asleep somewhere else then stays asleep in the crib when she stirs after 40 mins fom her first sleep cycle she's going to be confused cos it's not the same place she fell asleep in and likely wake up.

So my recommendation is to work on a strategy to get Ava to sleep in the crib to start with. Our daughter is 4 weeks old and she falls asleep in her moses basket. This is how we do it:

As soon as Daisy starts getting sleepy and has that thousand mile stare (I always click my fingers near her eyes to see if she'll follow them, if not then i know she's ready for sleep) we take her to her moses basket and put her in awake and in the dark give her a kiss ... then we wait.

After an amount of time, could be a minute, could be 10 she'll start to get grumpy and fidgety and begin to cry. We wait till she has a sustained proper cry and then we put a hand on her chest and rub gently. We start the stopwatch for 3 minutes, if she hasn't stopped crying after 3 minutes then we pick her up and soothe her until she's calm again. At this point she's usually closing and opening her eyes. After a few minutes of her being calm, back in the basket and wait again till she crys then repeat the same process again and again.

If, during the hand on her chest she stops crying within the 3 minutes and starts to fall asleep, we'll leave the hand there for a bit then take it away. Sometimes after 5 minutes she'll start crying again and we'll start the 3 minutes with the hand on her chest again.

Basically she'll either fall asleep when the hand is on her chest within the 3 minutes, or she'll fall asleep after being put down whilst drowsy. The consistency is paramount and she begins to know if i cry i'll have a comforting hand, followed by being picked up so I know I'm safe.

Sometimes she falls asleep after doing this once, sometimes 5 times but it always works eventually.

3 minutes was a time we picked that we could stand her crying for, this might be shorter or longer for you. The key part is to be confident that a system you choose will work and keep trying, you have to give them time to show you they can fall asleep.