any tips on reflux?

chichestermum

mummy of 2 :)
Reaction score
My LO got diagnosed with reflux today, i thought it was colic, i now feel awfuk that she has been in pain and things iv been doing like lying her on her back shortly after feeds to rub her tum probably havent been helping her :(

What are your best tips for easing a refluxy baby? she has been prescribed infant gaviscon, OH is going to pick it up tomoz after work, any tips on how to use it?
whats the best way to wind a reflux baby? i usually pat or put her over my shoulder and go up and down the stairs or bump around, its the only thing thay seems to work but again, they probably dont help with reflux!

on a better note she was weighed and put on lots again! shes now 10lb 13oz when her birth weight (4 weeks ago) was 7lb 7oz and this time the HV told me to be happy and proud she was doing so well, so no more worrying that sges gaining too fast! xx

Keep her upright for at least half an hour after feeds and prop the head of the Moses basket up with books xx :hugs:

I gave the Gaviscon in a medicine syringe x

I don't know about the gaviscon as never used it but my eldest had acid reflux (couple of my others have been sicky but it hasn't bothered them) and I found keeping him upright as much as possible was a huge help, such as having him in his bouncy chair most of the time while awake and it can help to put something under the top end legs of the cot or moses basket stand while they sleep (you can also get wedges that go under the matress as well), winding wise I found it best to put him over my shoulder or to sit him as upright as possible while supporting him and gently rub his back-if whatever works to get their wind out and doesn't seem to be making the reflux symptoms work then there is no harm carrying on with it xx

Keep her upright for at least half an hour after feeds and prop the head of the Moses basket up with books xx :hugs:

I gave the Gaviscon in a medicine syringe x

we bed share and she has always slept in crook of my arm, so we have never had a problem of a night, which is why i thought it was colic as it was only at certain times that she would scream out in pain.

how upright should she be kept after the feed? she always sleeps after a feed and throws herself back even if your holding her upright, i have a floppeze which keeps her at about 45 degrees, is that enough or does it have to be bolt upright?

HV said i would have to express some milk to mix it in, how much do i need to mix it with? id rather have it all ready in a sterilised tub ready to mix when its needed.

and does it alter taste of BM much? LO hates flavor of any kind and screams if its different,giving infacol and dentinox was like torture for our ears lol xxx

being anything aside from lying completely flat is helpful, 45 degree angle is great xx

https://www.babyandbump.com/parenting-groups/506794-reflux-help-support-thread-117.html here is this too.
The reflux med my LO takes only comes in peppermint flavored and he hates it. Not sure why it is flavored at all since it is mainly for babies... but anyhow I just slip the syringe in the corner of his mouth when he is nursing. He doesnt even notice. We dont use the med you are using here but I wonder if that would work?

the gaviscon needs to be mixed with water first then can be mixed with breasdtmilk after but it's important to dilute because it contains so much salt. I think it's mixed into paste with 5ml then ad 10ml after? It worked wonders for our son's reflux for about a week then it made him so constipated he screamed in pain with that so ended up being useless. now we are on ranitidine which is much easier for breastfeeding as he's only on .5ml 3x a day.

I have noticed a few things though like when winding we rub instead of pat as the patting always made it worse, we don't lift his legs when changing his nappy jsut kind of roll him over, handle him quite gently after feeding to try and keep it all down. I notice if I eat a lot of garlic or onions it always makes him quite poorly:( Sadly it's trial and error really, last night was the first night since my son was born that he didn't scream (he generally cries for 1-4 hours every day straight) but I think it's because we had injections..anyway sorry to ramble good luck x

rambling is good! anything to help me understand how to make it easier for LO. oh dear i hope it doesnt make LO constipated! we were told to give it 2 weeks and if it wasnt helping or wasnt right they would put her onto something else at 6 week check up.
Is the amount of salt not dangerous for a baby? i hated having gaviscon tablets in pregnancy because it actually tasted salty and for someone who doesnt add salt to anything that was quite a shock to me and i stopped taking it and just ate more alkaline foods so that LO didnt get lots of salt passed through to her.
my Lo crys loads too, a painful screech more than a cry always after every feed for at least 20 mins and then she has a bout of crying from 1 feed to the next of an evening so about 3 hours of it. luckily tho our nights are uneventful which is good for us all.
does anyone else have times of dy that are worse than others?
Thankyou for the link!! il be having a good read through! xxx
the syringe in the side of the cheek is great, they never realise until its already gone down, thats how i used to give my eldest her dentinox lol!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->