Any1 else anaemic??

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by Hattie80, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Hattie80

Hattie80 Well-Known Member

I've been on ferrous sulphate (iron) tablets since 12 wks. I take 200mg twice a day...but s'times 4get to take 2 :dohh: They r really fiddly cos u can't take milk / dairy at same time & I always wanna take mine 1st thing.... but have cereal / tea as soon as I get up. So s'times only take one / day.

I've also discovered a liquid iron formula which tastes AWFUL but is full of vits too. I take that when I remember too.

When I was checked 3 months ago my iron levels were low but not dangerously so. I've asked a couple of times to be rechecked but have been told they check automatically at 28 wks so in couple of wks time. I sooo hope they've gone up but not sure they have.:wacko: I'm still easily exhausted, look paler than eva and now am breathless quite often (a sign of anaemia).

Just wondering...does any1 else have this? Any tips? I'm too scared to google affects of anaemia as I think 1 is premature labour.:cry: Should i be overly concerned? Thanx in advance x:hugs:

2. Sam9kids

Sam9kids Guest

Just try and boost it as much as you can.

Eat iron rich foods (google what as i cant remember any apart from beans and liquorice!) and drink fresh orange with every meal.

Ive had it with all of them and have felt the same as you xx

3. Celesse

Celesse Well-Known Member

My Hb at16 weeks was 11. (Hb = iron level https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemoglobin )
    At 20 weeks it had dropped to 10.6. (even though I had been taking Spartone for the past 3/4 weeks cos I felt anaemic)
    At 28 weeks it was 10.4.

I am planned for a home birth but will have my Hb re-checked at 34 weeks and if it is below 10 then the medical advice is to deliver in hospital. This is because I am more likely to bleed following the birth and if I do bleed I wont be able to cope with it as well as if my Hb was higher.

4. acdmommy

acdmommy mother of 4

i am, but they havent told me to take anything special for it...but it causes me to have horrid migraines? good luck and eat LOTS of green veggies, ie broccoli spinich etc

5. Caroline

Caroline Proud Mum of 4

I've been on iron tabs since 8 weeks. I have to take 2 a day too. My levels were 10.4
    I'm hoping mw will check them in Jan, but like you I feel exhausted.

I take mine before lunch & befor evening meal. I do occasionally miss one, and the other week they seemed to be aggrevating my stomach. When I saw mw @ 17 weeks she said I could miss them for a couple of days if I needed to.

I used to take mine with fruit juice, orang or grapefruit or mix of both, but recenlty I haven't 'cos the juice seems to give me bad indigestion/heartburn.

Hope your levels are up when checked.

I get the feeling I'm gonna be on them for the duration.

6. Minstermind

Minstermind Well-Known Member

I am, been taking Galfer (300 plus mg) iron since I found out. It's made a world of difference in my energy levels. I hear you on it being finnicky as you can't take it with dairy. Personally, I just take it with a glass of orange juice mid morning or early afternoon, between meals.

7. Jadey121

Jadey121 Mummy of 2. Expecting No3

Yeah im also anemic have been since the start of my pregnancy! Keep forgetting to take my iron though! *makes a note* Remember iron tablets!!!!
    Havent read about premature labour labour though?

8. MiissMuffet

MiissMuffet Well-Known Member

I have always had trouble with my iron levels, i'm taking an iron tablet with vit c in aswell as this helps to absorb the iron. I know what u mean about the fiddlyness of these. I try to have with tea but if there is dairy with tea i take my pill abit later but sometimes I forget :dohh:. I dont know how much calcium is bad to take with it though. sometimes i will still take my pill if i have tea and the only bit of calcium is abit of margarine on some bread. i dont know how much that affects it though :shrug:
    Don't google affects of anemia hun- usually the worst case scenario things come up. generally u will just be feeling really tired and weak. keep ontop of your pills and try and eat healthy and have red meat (i'm guilty of not eating enough red meat)
    x

9. babybel

babybel Mummy to two

Im anaemic too, was on iron tablets and then syrup but level kept continuously dropping. In end, although Hb was 10, my ferritin (iron store) was 4 so I had an iron infusion, took ten hours and now my ferritin is 286 but Hb had dropped to 9. Consultant is stumped, as am I! Have been referred to heamotologist now! Take your tablets girlies

xx

10. Minstermind

Minstermind Well-Known Member

A friend of mine found out he was majorly deficient in B12 even though he eats loads of food with it. They determined that although he was ingesting enough of it, his body was not absorbing it. That could perhaps be one reason you're still low on iron?

11. babybel

babybel Mummy to two

Thanks, I was really deficient in B12 aswell and have injections every other day and level is now back to normal. Hopefully will get to the bottom of it soon :)

12. crackle

crackle Early days :)

Hi! My midwife told me to get spatone which is great, it's little sachets of iron rich water that you put in orange juice (preferably as it helps you to absorb the iron, but can put in anything). It doesn't taste of anything once mixed and doesn't have the constipation side effects of iron tablets. And it's the equivalent of 8 lbs of broccoli a day! Cost about £7 for a months supply from Boots.