Anybody worried about zika?

pinkpassion

3dd/5inHeaven/familycomplete
Reaction score
Is anyone worried about zika and microcephaly? My Dr had a big long 4 page print out on it today at my appointment and I hadn't heard anything about it in probably 6-7 months so it hasn't even crossed my mind, but now I'm kind of worried about it! I live in Houston and we are mosquito central here!! :/

I am a little, yes. (I am in South FL).

The best we can do is wear long sleeves and repellant. Maybe not be around standing water. Maybe try to go inside before dark. <3

No, but that's probably because I'm in chilly island-in-the-North-Atlantic Newfoundland, and nobody I know has recently been to a Zika hotspot. I hope you ladies in affected areas don't contract it!

I'm finding mosquitos inside my house occasionally already! They just come in when the door gets opened. I'm going to have dh spray everything really good this week!

According to the CDC, my state (NJ) has had 182 cases of Zika. And since I get bitten up every single year, I'm totally paranoid about this upcoming summer. I'll have to research highly effective bug spray that's safe for pregnancy.

A little bit. I'm in Austin and I'm worried that zika might start heading north from South Texas. So far, we haven't had any locally transmitted cases, just travelers to affected countries.

I might start using a natural bug spray daily in the summer if we continue to get regular rain and a DEET spray when I'm really going to be outside at prime feasting time. I've already put my husband on backyard lawn duty because we get mosquitos in the back corner closest to the neighbor's pond (I might anonymously leave them mosquito dunks).

According to the CDC, my state (NJ) has had 182 cases of Zika. And since I get bitten up every single year, I'm totally paranoid about this upcoming summer. I'll have to research highly effective bug spray that's safe for pregnancy.

I live in NJ, too. We don't have any Zika LOCALLY. The only cases here in NJ are from people who traveled, got bitten, then came back sick or got sick with the virus after coming home. Our mosquitoes don't have Zika, so you can calm down QUITE a bit.

I'm in Ireland so don't need to worry

I live in NJ, too. We don't have any Zika LOCALLY. The only cases here in NJ are from people who traveled, got bitten, then came back sick or got sick with the virus after coming home. Our mosquitoes don't have Zika, so you can calm down QUITE a bit.

Yes, but the problem with mosquito-borne diseases is that it only takes one mosquito to bite an infected person to create local transmission. And Zika, in particular, is nasty because 4 out of 5 people who are infected never develop symptoms and don't know they have been infected. Given that, plus the heavy travel in and out of the state from NY/PA commuters, as well as international travelers, it's not irrational to expect the disease to spread in the coming hot months.

So far, only two states have had reported locally-acquired infections (Florida and Texas)... it's only a matter of time before it hits NYC.

Even if you are not in the concentrated areas, Zika can still spread in the summer months to the northern states. It seems to mostly congregate around large bodies of water, like the Atlantic coast and the river states. I'm in Ohio between Lake Erie and the Ohio River so it worries me a bit with the weather starting to warm up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->