Anyone a runner?

Mrsmitch80

Reaction score
When my daughter started school in sept I met a few other mums who have become really good friends who I run with :) we have done 10k's, muddy obstacle courses along with just training runs regularly and I really enjoy it.

On 21st sept I do my 1st half marathon, all being well I will be 10.5 weeks so hopefully just getting over the initial tiredness. I'm 5 weeks now and have just really started to struggle with my training, legs feel like lead and sickness doesn't help :( any tips from fellow runners would be much appreciated xx

I'm not sure that now is a good time to be increasing your training to that extent. Just maintaining their current level of fitness is not realistic for most women during the first trimester of pregnancy. Personally i've been struggling to get out of bed these past couple of weeks, and i'm an avid runner. But you've been pregnant before so i'm guessing you're one of the lucky ones who doesn't suffer debilitating nausea and vomitting. Anyway i'm no expert, but to me it seems counterintuitive to train so hard in early pregnancy. Talk to your doctor about it. Good luck!

Thanks for your reply :) the distance isn't a problem so I'm not increasing my training as such, it's just my first 'race' although I'm expecting my time to be slow.

I am a sufferer of hyperemesis usually, it's started rearing it's ugly head the past few days although I've found light training actually makes me feel better x

I ran the whole of first pregnancy. I even ran a mile the day before I gave birth. Ran my last 10k race at 6 months and then decided to cut back as it was starting to hurt. But am sure running helped me have an easy pregnancy and birth. The only advice I have is to take it easy, listen to your body, rehydrate and don't try to 'race', just run for the enjoyment (even in a race). Just found out I'm pregnant again and intend to run for as long as I can. But am not going by pace or distance, just running when I feel like it and for as long as I feel like. That might mean a mile on one day and 8 on the next!

Oh, and do your pelvic floor exercises (I learnt the hard way!!!!)

I also find a run makes the sickness go a way (if only momentarily!)

Thank you! That helps a lot :) on sat I managed 8 miles but yesterday I did 3 and it was so hard! Going to go out tomorrow and just see how far I get, no racing for me but running definitely makes me feel better. I did some exercise during my last preg and had an easy birth too :) I'm fitter than I've ever been and I really don't want to just stop my fitness because I'm pregnant :) xx

After my first pregnancy I was really surprised that I was a much faster runner when I eventually returned to running after the birth. My 10k time went from 53 mins to 47 in the space of a year! Apparently this is quite common amongst runners although don't know why! So don't worry about losing fitness as you probably won't! It's actually quite nice just enjoying running rather than chasing times for a change! Good luck

I'm not a serious runner, but I'm hoping to keep exercising for as long as I can. I'm going to try to keep cycling to work I think, and keep doing some running, but I'm just going to take it easy, and not push myself.

I have no previous experience of pregnancy though, so I can't comment on running and pregnancy, maybe I'll be re-thinking things in a week or so! xx

After my first pregnancy I was really surprised that I was a much faster runner when I eventually returned to running after the birth. My 10k time went from 53 mins to 47 in the space of a year! Apparently this is quite common amongst runners although don't know why! So don't worry about losing fitness as you probably won't! It's actually quite nice just enjoying running rather than chasing times for a change! Good luck

Apparently it's because when you're pregnant you have more blood/working harder just doing normal things so take in more oxygen it takes a year or so to get back to normal so you can find you're better at running. It happened with Paula Radcliffe from memory!

I stopped running in my first pregnancy at 6 weeks. I have just found out I'm a tiny bit pregnant and fx I have a sticky bean I've signed up for a 10k but not going to push myself and going to stick to treadmill training (live in Dubai and it's hitting 45 degrees now even at night)

Apparently it's because when you're pregnant you have more blood/working harder just doing normal things so take in more oxygen it takes a year or so to get back to normal so you can find you're better at running. It happened with Paula Radcliffe from memory!

I stopped running in my first pregnancy at 6 weeks. I have just found out I'm a tiny bit pregnant and fx I have a sticky bean I've signed up for a 10k but not going to push myself and going to stick to treadmill training (live in Dubai and it's hitting 45 degrees now even at night)

Looking forward to faster times once baby is here ;) !

Woke up feeling ok this morning (went to bed at 8pm last night!) just done a comfortable 7 mile run and really enjoyed it :) thanks ladies, my family keep asking if I should still be running but I'm not ill I'm pregnant :) it's nice to know other people are still running too xx

I wish I could still run! I am not a great runner but did enjoy doing 5k a few times per week. I can't even get out of bed now days...keep it up while you can!

Thank you :) I've got a 10k event on 31st aug, trying to get my morning sickness under control before it. I must admit I'm shattered but running gives me energy (and quiet time away from the children!!) it feels really good knowing I'm running with a baby on board :) xx

My wife and I are both runners. We haven't gone up to 10k yet, and we rarely do events, we just do it for ourselves really. She's currently 6w+4d and still going strong :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->