Anyone accidentally eat something we shouldn't be eating?!

PregNurse

Reaction score
At work today, we were brought free lunch for neonatal nurses week!

Sandwiches, pasta salad, potato salad, broccoli salad, etc

I grabbed a sandwich, took a bite and then set it back down because I was uncertain of the risk of listeria.. I ate some broccoli salad and then an hour later realized that everything had probably been sitting out around 2 hours

Of course now I'm freaking out that my 3 bites of broccoli salad developed some crazy bacteria and is hurting my baby

I'm guessing your from the states? The risk of listeria is so small, that many countries allow you to continue to each lunch meat. I'd be more worried if you ate a rare steak or egg in all honesty.

Then again I'm one to take all advice with a pinch of salt. I had DS 7 years ago and what I could have then and what I could have with DD has all changed. Also what I can eat country to country changes. In Japan women continue to eat sushi and large quantities of fish and they have healthy babies. People in 3rd world countries struggle to get enough clean water and decent meals and still go on and have babies. So just use your judgement.

I had a turkey and swiss wrap for lunch today and thought nothing of it until now. The risk of listeria is no higher now than it was before we were pregnant. It's just going to be riskier if you end up with it now. I've never had an issue before so I'm not going to worry now about it.

I have continued eating lunch meat at Subway at least once a week but all of the subs are toasted here. I'm sure I have eaten stuff on the recommended to stay away from list.

When I am out at dinners with suppliers and my choice is a full cooked fish flopped on a plate staring at me, squid, straight out of the ocean Shrimp or mystery meat cut in to cubes and cooked with some veggies... I go for the mystery meat.

I ate sandwiches with my first and I eat them now. Doctor said it was fine

I had a turkey and swiss wrap for lunch today and thought nothing of it until now. The risk of listeria is no higher now than it was before we were pregnant. It's just going to be riskier if you end up with it now. I've never had an issue before so I'm not going to worry now about it.
This^

I have eaten ham twice - I wasn't told in my first not to have it. But I read recently you can't eat ham and have eaten it twice in sandwiches. I'm a bit less worried about it now. I'm sensible but not as paranoid as I was before x

I did read that pregnant women are more likely to get it. With my first son I was so careful with everything I ate! But I keep forgetting I'm pregnant and have eaten so many bad things already : (. A few days ago I called the nurse crying because I ate a 3 hour old hoagie without thinking. It had mayonnaise,honey mustard, pickles, sweet peppers...everything that could possibly be contaminated sitting around in a deli all day. oops. I know this risk is low but its not a risk I want to take!

Well, before I even realized I was pg, We were on vacation in France, so wine, cheese, and pâté were on the menu every day! Oops!

And here I am, almost two months later, avoiding lunch meats...

Whew...glad I am not the only one! It is hard to remember exactly what we should not eat!

I ate very out of date peanut butter when pregnant with my baby boy, I freaked out after I realised even though there was nothing I could do and all was fine with him :) x

The week I found out I was pregnant, I ate a cuban. If anyone is wondering what that is, it is a sandwich with all kinds of deli meat on it! Several different kinds. And it didn't even occur to me that I shouldn't have eaten it until well after I ate the whole thing.
Naturally, I worried a little bit. But I saw baby on a ultrasound weeks later doing just fine.

I don't know why you should be worried ... I would only be worried if I got sick or food poisoning from it.

Personally, I love sushi and have had the occasional piece. I really do think we are a bit fearful in Western culture. The only thing I really do avoid is soft cheeses and wine of course ... I am really missing the occasional glass of red wine !

The only thing I crave is a Ham and Salami sandwich from subway. I guess I could have it toasted/heated but for some reason that sounds awful!

Can pregnant women not have ham? I've never heard of this before? X

babyd14 in the UK we still have ham as the risk is so low they don't bother warning us about it, therefore we carry on having it. You can ask your midwife about it when you next see her.

babyd14 in the UK we still have ham as the risk is so low they don't bother warning us about it, therefore we carry on having it. You can ask your midwife about it when you next see her.

I see, thanks for reply x

I was hugely paranoid with my first and wouldn't be a mile within any of the things I shouldn't eat, this time I'm pretty much eating everything, with the exception of blue cheese, but that's only because I don't like it :haha: I may or may not have had a big slab of cheesecake the other day :blush: not exactly by accident either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->