Anyone been prescribed Provera?

LexiLoo

Reaction score
So I stopped taking bcp in September, have had only one light period in October and haven't had one since. Blood pregnancy tests are negative and all other hormone tests are normal so my doctor prescribed Provera to "jump start" my period. I talked to the nurse about it, but i was just wondering if anyone has tried it.
Once you get your induced period, is it more painful cramps and heavier bleeding? Does it reset your cycle so you can calculate your ovulation time again?

Thanks

Hi Lexi! I was prescribed Prometrium to 'jump start' my period also. I got off BCPs in June and didn't see AF for 95 days. I took Prometrium for 10 days and after a few days the :witch: showed up finally! I was kept on it for 3 more cycles (ended last month). I never had many issues with AF. The first cycle I had really sore boobs and heavy bleeding but the subsequent cycles were normal. I am currently on CD 36 with no sign of AF. I just started using OPKs to see if and when I ovulate. I think I may have ovulated on the 17th but I'm not 100% convinced. At any rate, I have an appointment on the 31st because I was told to call back if I didn't have a normal 28 day cycle. Doc is supposed to do an ultrasound next. All my blood tests in Sept came back normal as well.

I took this when AF went missing for 3 months. The first withdrawl bleed i had was light but the next month when AF showed up on time it was very heavy. My MD said to expect the heavy bleed. My cycles were reset with it. Good luck!

Oh good to hear from both of your experiences. Thanks you! A period reset it what I need I guess haha. Thanks 

I know you got some replies, but I thought I'd post, too. I like reading as much as I can about this Provera stuff.

I started Provera on Jan. 21 for 10 days. I stopped BC back in Nov. 09 and didn't get a period since so I was prescribed it to jumpstart as well.

On Feb. 2-Feb 6, I experienced a very light flow when on BC and prior to taking BC, I would have very heavy periods. I called the nurse and she said this was normal and to consider it a period and start counting the first day of bleeding as CD1.

I am now on CD15 and start the next round of Provera tomorrow. So either after I'm done this round, I hope to be pregnant or at least get a more "normal" flow.

How has it gone for you?

Hey Stace, my doctor kept me on it. She gave me four rounds and I still wasn't regulating AF on my own. Now I'm on it indefinitely. I'm on Clomid to ovulate and then if I get a :bfn: then I take 10 days of Prometrium. I hope this helps. Wishing you a speedy :bfp:.

I saw your other thread about getting PG on Provera...from my research when I was first taking it, you can get pregnant while on Prometrium if you are ovulating...it doesn't have anything to do with making or stopping you from ovulating. I also have very light periods while taking it.

Aw, thanks for getting back to me, TysonNMe. I'm on my second month/round of Provera it's day 6 of it. It's reassuring to know yours are light flows w/it as well.

I'm on CD17, though and now I'm dealing with having constant positive OPKs for the past 5 days as well. I don't know what's going on. I think I'm going to call my dr tomorrow because I just feel broken. It seems like my body wants to release an egg, but just keeps surging. My husband is getting confused as to why I keep getting smiley faces on the OPKs and I don't know what to tell him, either.

Lots of babydust to you as well for your:bfp:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->