Anyone been to Jamacia?

Tiff

LIKE A BOSS
Reaction score
We have a desination wedding there next year. I'm so excited! :happydance:

However, we've only ever been to Mexico. Was hoping that some of you lovely ladies on here have been and have some tips for us? We'll be staying in Montego Bay.

I haven't been there personally but my friend got married there and said it was fantastic but very windy

I wish I had gone to Jamacia. It's beautiful, my family took a cruise ship there and the pictures were gorgeous. :)

What resort? We can't wait! We're staying at the grand pallidium lady Hamilton

I have. My honeymoon in 2005. bloody amazing. best hol of my life by a mile.
We stayed in Runaway Bay.

There are a few really good trips to do - the Dunes River falls is brill, swimming with dolphins, the river thing (sorry cant remember for the life of me what its called!)
xx

I've heard the Dune's River Falls are incredible!!! But I have an intense fear of spiders and will (no joke) probably have a heart attack if I came across a tarantula. :blush:

We swam with dolphins on our honeymoon in Mexico, at Xel-Ha. Absolutely amazing!!! My only gripe is that a Mom brought her daughter who was young (around 6 or 7?) and she was TERRIFIED of dolphins. So the entire time was eaten up with the instructor trying to make her see that dolphins are actually pretty cool.

Oh my gosh the hotel you're staying at looks amazing... that's definitely going on my list of hotels to stay at :D

What time of year are you guys going?

I've been in July/August (very hot and humid, downpours nearly every day), and December/January (Bit windy, and the sea can get a bit choppy if you're planning on swimming in the sea, but fabulous weather and far less humid than the summer months).

Dunns River Falls is definitely worth a visit, as is rafting on the Martha Brae, and if you're after something different I would certainly recommend Rose Hall Sugar Plantation Great House it was a really good mixture of history, lovely views, beautiful gardens and a bit of spookiness (I don't want to spoil it though so I won't say anymore).

Without wanting to sound like a killjoy, I would certainly recommend sticking to organised trips/tours and or majorly touristy zones as there are some areas that you really need to be careful in.

Not sounding like a killjoy at all! Tbh, we did the same when we went to Mexico, only did trips organized by our 5 star resort.

Did you see tarantuals while you were there? :blush: I'm really not kidding, I'm freaking phobic. :blush:

We fly out July 6th, the wedding is on the 10th. :happydance:

No, definitely no tarantulas. I would say the wildlife was way more abundant in Mexico than I've ever experienced in Jamaica. I really don't like birds to be honest, and we went swimming in the sea and in swooped an enormous pelican and it landed right next to me and was bobbing along, I almost screamed my head off. I've never swum so fast in my entire life!

I'm definitely more cautious about safety in Jamaica than Mexico, although that said we only really go off on our own around Playa Del Carmen which isn't particularly scary. I found that in Jamaica that SOME locals can be very pushy and a bit scary in terms of wanting to sell you things, it can be quite intimidating if you're on your own, and I've never ever experienced anything like that in Mexico.

At that time of year I would definitely be packing the anti frizz hair products and keeping everything lightweight as it can get super humid. Ooo I so want a holiday right now, it sucks living on a student budget haha!

We stayed in Playa Del Carmen for our Honeymoon, stayed at Hacienda Tres Rios. Our second time we stayed in Cancun, didn't like it as much as Playa Del Carmen.

You are totally right, we didn't have a single person approach us trying to be pushy with selling stuff... definitely good to know. So better to not leave the resort at all? Unless on an excursion?

And I so hear you. I want to go somewhere NOW!!! :haha:

Although we're going to Disney in November, then Jamaica in July so honestly, we're really not that hard up in life. But still, I loves me some travelling. :blush:

Jamaica will be amazing, I want to go next August, there or Grenada.

Orange, I cant help but giggle at the image of you swimming and screaming cos of the pelican. I am terrified of birds too and can imagine exactly how I would be.

I don't mind birds so long as they don't swoop at me. I was at my friend's kiddo's birthday party a few weeks back and was hanging a banner on the bottom part of the deck. I didn't realize there was a nest of baby robins in there and all of a sudden they started trying to get out of the nest.

Next thing I know I'm being divebomed by angry adult robins. It was awful! :blush:

Had no idea what the heck was going on at first as I didn't know the nest was there, just that these ticked off birds kept swooping at me. :rofl:

It really was! :rofl:

What was even more hilarious was at first everyone who showed up kinda poked fun of myself and my friend cuz we were screeching while the birds were swooping. A bit later on into the party and we're all outside and the one guy who did the most ribbing got a bit too close to the next and got divebombed himself. :rofl:

So of course he's all "OMG!!!!!!" and whatnot, freaking out. Ha HA! Not so funny when YOU'RE the one getting divebomed, eh? :rofl: :rofl:

Karma's a bitch. :haha: Kinda nice to see it happen so quick too! :rofl:

Haha. That was totally deserved. I hope you ribbed him for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"