Anyone been told the sex without booking Gender Scan?

juliew2561

Reaction score
Hi
I have my 20 week scan in Sept but Shrewsbury hospital absolutely insist that they will not tell you the sex of the baby, unless you book a gender scan and pay 50 quid!! Is this the same everywhere?
I just wondered if its luck of the drawer with the mw, if you get a nice jolly one would she just tell you anyway? I am thinking of saying "if you cant tell us what it is can you tell us what its not!" That way she wouldnt be breaking the rules! :thumbup:

Thats crazy!! Sure you're in there for ages with the 20 week scan anyway...whats the harm in her taking a few seconds to look to see what is (or isn't!) there!!

They're offering to do a separate gender scan? They're just ripping you off... almost everywhere will tell you the gender at the 20 week scan if you wish to know. They can certainly tell (they check the genitals to make sure they're forming properly), so withholding the information to make money out of you is just taking the piss.

I think some hoospitals have a policy not to tell for fear of being sued and there are areas where culturally people favour baby boys over girls andd may attempt to terminate if they find they are having a girl (that is what my sister was told when she had hers, in the midlands)

my hopsital tell you the gender so i cant help im afraid. i think all hopsitals must be different

Yes mine and Halifax tell you the gender but they wont to muslim families! That is for religeous reasons i think but they will absolutley tell non muslims the sex.

I also think charging £50 they are doing it to rip people off.

that's mad! I got told at my routine 20 weeks scan!
some hospitals are so scared of being sued it's ridiculous!!!!
fight for it!! try to persuade the sonographer- you never know you might get a kind one!!!

good luck x

Gosh, that sounds like a rip off, especially when they will be able to tell anyway at the 20 week scan.

kinda wish my hospital didnt tell, then i wouldnt be left with the tempation in 3 weeks of asking!!! hehe

Im staying on team yellow but knowing they will tell me if i ask is sooo tempting!!!!
I would ask her anyway, she can only say no!!

xxx

£50 quid is quite cheap for a gender scan the cheapest i got was 80!

its just policy some places not to tell. my clinic wont tell me as they have faced law suits in the past for getting it wrong! :O just depends where you go i reckon.

x

it does depend on the area which is silly really as other ppl have said they have to look to see what you are having anyway so they should tell you if you ask,
some hospitals tell you but make you sign a form saying that you understand that its not 100% but i have never heard of one charging £50 that's not fair
where i am you have your own screen to watch on while the scan takes place so you can actually see for your self, maybe this is an option for you? or when you buy the pictures at the end maybe you could ask for an extra one of baby's genitals if the pic is clear you should be able to tell :) xx
good luck xx

That sounds like a rip off to me! My hospital will tell you at the 20 week scan xx

I was told at my 20w scan, but a friend of mine, whose sister lives in Clacton (I think) had to pay £90 to find out.

As people have said some hospitals have been sued in the past, so try to cover thier own backs.

Also as someone else said because of cultural reasons they dont tell the sex as they are scared if it is not what the family want (due to religion) they will abort the baby.

It does seem very unfair that certain hospitals charge, and others dotn, but I guess its the luck of the draw.

I'd give it a try....all she can do is not tell you...I think i'd say oh I think I just saw a willy...and see what the reaction is!!

That sounds bad making you pay to find out the gender.

The hospital I go to for my scans will tell me but make sure I understand that it's not 100% x

Ours say they will tell you at 20 week but have a big long disclaimer about getting it right. Surely if they just make everyone sign a disclaimer then they wouldn't have the fear of being sued for getting it wrong! (and never mind how silly it is to actually sue for that!) Sounds silly you have to pay for gender scan but £50 seems average if you went private. I'd be tempted to go private in that case. I have had experience of both private and NHS and the private had better equipment and spent a lot more time with me.

We're in Shropshire as well so in the same boat. The reason they won't tell at the 20 week scan it is to prevent people having late abortions if their baby is the 'wrong' gender. This happened a few times apparently which is why they introduced the rule. They won't let you have the £50 gender scan until after you're 24 weeks so it would be too late to get an abortion.

I can understand it for that reason but it makes it no less frustrating for those of us that simply want to know from a pleasure/excitement/planning perspective - especially when they then go and charge £50 for the extra scan! We simply can't afford £50 so we're not going to find out, but we might have done if we could have done so as part of our regular scans.

Incidentally, I have a friend who went to Shrewsbury for her 20 weeks scan. When they saw what looked like a penis her hubby said 'is that what I think it is?' and the midwife did confirm that it was a boy. So if it's a friendly midwife and it becomes obvious on the scan then they sometimes do give it away, so you never know. :)

Gina. x

my hospital didn't offer the info to me, but told me when i asked at the end of the scan x

I've not heard of that one - sounds like a money spinner to me! All I was told (about a million times lol) is that the 20 week scan is not a gender scan, it's an anomoly scan. May be it just depends on what the sonographer's like? The one I've seen (both times and will for my scan at 36 weeks) is really nice.

my hospital dont tell you at all, you cant even pay extra for it.

We were asked as soon as I walked into the scanning room if we wanted to know, they did all the checks, measurements etc then showed us at the end that he is a he, no extra charge or anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->