Anyone being induced? Are you packing more in your hospital bag?

dom85

Mum of 2, 3rd on the way
Reaction score
So I've finally started to pack my hospital bag and I'm quickly running out of space.

I'm being induced at 38 weeks because I'm diabetic so I've been told that I will go in in the morning to be started off and they'll try the gel three times before they start again. Also, because I'm diabetic the baby will have to be monitored for a while after he's born (they cant say how long though) so I'm at a complete loss on what to pack.

I've done my wash bag and I've packed 20 maternity pads and 10 pairs of cheapy knickers. I've put 16 breast pads in (no idea if this is enough/too much though). How many nighties do you think I'll need?

In the baby's bag I've got 3 vests and 3 sleepsuits and I've just put 15 nappies in there.

I just dont want my mum having to keep dragging stuff up to the hospital for me, she doesn't drive so it's difficult for her to get there so I'd like to be as prepared a possible.

I was induced due to diabetes.

Two nighties.. I gave birth in one and spent time in the other one.

Cotton wool?

Plenty of maternity pads you've got. I went through a pack but only stayed 36hours..

Basically the baby will be monitored for it's sugars, my baby had to have three blood sugars above 2.0. It just depends on if your BF or FF.

Hiya hun,
Obviously it depends how long you stop in really, Hun i'd say you are ok with what you have. Baby wont be filthy so there wont be any need to constantly change his/her vest or sleepsuit unless sick on it tbh.
Why not just put a small bag aside at home with an extra nighty in, extra vests & sleepsuits & nappies etc then if you do need more you can just say grab the such & such bag. Saves someone searching for things or bringing something you aint happy with. I did this & didn't need it but felt happy knowing it was there if need be :)

What you have i'd say is ok though hunny, Don't forget nursing bra or a soft maternity one :) I'd say 2-3 nighties, 1 to labour in & 2 clean incase you stay in or want a fresh change :)

i was induced and was in sun,mon, tues and had him wed !!! on the sun they gimme a tablet....didnt wrk ! another 2 on the tues....didnt wrk ! was on drip all tues night and yeh u guessed it didnt wrk so i then had to have an emergency section wednesday morning, so im glad i took a few nighties etc cos after the section i was then in another 5days !

Thanks girls, I think I'll pack a spare bag just in case.

I haven't packed cotton wool, I've packed a pack of Pampers Sensitive wipes, are we not supposed to use them?

take a bin bag to put dirty clothes in!

I wouldalso take more pjs, and more pads, I bled something terrible, had to put two pads a time on and still leaked so had to keep etting changed

also take lots of bids and muslims for baby

Both of my full term inductions took 4-5 days. I am being induced at 39 weeks this time. I'm going to pack 3-4 tshirts (probably stolen from my DH :rofl:), 2 bags of maternity towels, a few nipple pads, a couple of pairs of pj bottoms, some disposable knickers and quite a few nappies and babygrows/cotton wool etc. I seem to remember my son going through 5 babygrows in the first 24 hours with his watery farts and vomit :rofl:

Oh I will also be taking my DH who's sole purpose of being there is to lug around all of my bags and fetch me fresh water :rofl:

So I went out today and got the last of the bits that I need for my bag. Clothes wise I've packed 2 nursing nighties for after the birth and two long t-shirt type nighties for labour. I've packed a pair of jogging bottoms and a top to come home in. I hope this will be enough, I've set aside the car seat with a blanket and coming home outfit for baby and I thought I could always put another pair of jogging bottoms in there and a top just in case I get changed earlier at the hospital and want to wear the ones I take in.

I really hope it wont take so long to get things going, the midwife told me I'm going to be pretty much bed bound as I'll have a drip in each arm, I'm really dreading it. I've never had to spend any time in hospital or had a major injury or anything so the thought of being stuck in hospital for ages really gets me down.

the drips not as bad as u think uknow hun, get ur self a tv and lots of mags, r u having an epidural ? x

the drips not as bad as u think uknow hun, get ur self a tv and lots of mags, r u having an epidural ? x

Yeah, I didn't want to at first but now I know more about it I think I will. More tubes though! I just hope that I get an actual bed at the hospital, they have the TV's over them, I've seen before when my Mum was there that sometimes they get extra beds and squeeze them into the corners where there are no curtains or anything.

i was induced at 38 wks coz of diabetes,took 6 hours from gel!!!:happydance: we had to stay in for 24 hours so they could monitor joshs blood sugar,i was meant to have a sliding scale, never did find out what it was,they didnt get time to put the needle in. good luck

sliding scale is when you are given insulin in a drip,.

i was induced at 38 wks coz of diabetes,took 6 hours from gel!!!:happydance: we had to stay in for 24 hours so they could monitor joshs blood sugar,i was meant to have a sliding scale, never did find out what it was,they didnt get time to put the needle in. good luck

Did you give birth 6 hours after the gel or go into labour 6 hours after?! I hope my body co-operates and I can get this baby out myself.

hi dom85,

I'm being induced at 38 weeks for GD too and not looking forward to it as wanted as natural a birth as i could, not looking forward to be stuck in the bed unable to move around. I was partially induced last time(they just had to break my waters) and ended up having to have an epidural(to bring my blood pressure down) and seriously considering one this time now as i know induced labour can be more painful and take longer. I was also wondering about what to pack so have now got a good idea after reading your thread and others suggestions. When are you being induced? I haven't been given an exact date yet but 38 weeks takes me to 9th october

hi dom85,

I'm being induced at 38 weeks for GD too and not looking forward to it as wanted as natural a birth as i could, not looking forward to be stuck in the bed unable to move around. I was partially induced last time(they just had to break my waters) and ended up having to have an epidural(to bring my blood pressure down) and seriously considering one this time now as i know induced labour can be more painful and take longer. I was also wondering about what to pack so have now got a good idea after reading your thread and others suggestions. When are you being induced? I haven't been given an exact date yet but 38 weeks takes me to 9th october

It's horrible isn't it? I feel awful when people ask if I'm excited and I tell them that the closer it gets the more I'm dreading it. Of course I'm excited to finally meet my baby but it's been such a palava getting to this point and the birth isn't going to be how I would have chosen to have it if I'd had no complications.

I think I've got most of the stuff ready now, I've just put a separate bag aside with another pair of PJ's, some more underwear and an extra bra for me and some more nappies, baby's coming home outfit and a few 0-3 month vests and a sleepsuit in case he is a fatso :)

I have no idea when I'm being induced, the hospital said it will depend on how many beds they have, 38 weeks takes me to the 5th October. At my antenatal class I was talking to the midwife after and she said that it will all depend on how stable my blood sugars are and how big the baby is, if they think one or both of them is an issue then they'll look at doing it sooner. My regular midwife told me I'd go in at 6pm which I thought was stupid because we wont be able to eat once we get to the hospital and I know that that would throw my sugars off, dont know about you? The hospital midwife said to ask the consultant if I can go in at 9am instead which makes a lot more sense. I'm seeing the consultant tomorrow so I'll find out.

Did you give birth 6 hours after the gel or go into labour 6 hours after?! I hope my body co-operates and I can get this baby out myself.

i had gel at 11am,they warned me it would take a while had josh at 5.03pm:happydance::happydance:

I had a new type of induction that the hospital was using. My waters broke at 2pm and had Isobel at 902pm..

They only say it is more painful because it's artificial inducement and your body doesn't release natural pain relief as you would naturally ramp up naturally to give birth. Body just doesn't get time to get there naturally.

Most inductions are between 38 and 39 weeks for GD because after that the placenta matures quickly and baby doesn't get what it needs, because of the added insulin.

hi im being induced now on sunday one thing i would advise is to take a few more nappies certainly if your not sure how long ur staying better safe than sorry on my first baby i took a pack of nappies and ended up leaving with about 5 left and maybe 2 or 3 more babygrows as the baby may be quite sickly and need changing more often i also had an epidural on my first baby and my back is completely shot only have it if neccesary congratulations and hope all goes well xx

I was induced last time at 38 weeks (I am type 1 diabetic) and it was my first baby. From gel insertion til my waters broke took about 2-3 hours, I then had string contractions for 6 hours after which I got an epidural and baby was born 12,5 hours after the first gel was inserted. I was on a drip, but did move around a lot until the contractions got bad and then all I wanted to do was sit on the bed and suck on gas and air til they brought the epidural.

I would advise packing more nappies - we are told to bring 40 nappies to the hospital as most times here baby stays for 2-3 days after it is born (usually 3) - it is too many at 40, but they can go through 8 a day! Also is there anyway you could get anyone to bring you stuff you still need if necessary - then you wouldn't have to pack so much especially if you do land up there for days. Your milk only comes in on day 3 usually so you shouldn't need too many breast pads - you should be home by then anyway, but bring some in case.

My baby was in ICU the first night and they wear nothing there - just a nappy, but she was in the general ward with me for 2 days and needed clothes then.

Good luck for your induction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->