Anyone disappointed by their scans .. ?

Yellow IVF Rainbow Baby
Reaction score
I had my 20 week today and it was .. pretty rubbish ...
I don't know if it's cos I'm laying there and when she's saying here's the this, here's the that I can't actually see what it is!

Also I didn't actually see a baby on the screen if that makes sense? lol
Just seen parts :dohh:

We got a crap picture, and only ONE picture just multiple copies, I asked if we could have more than one and she said no :(
Baby was laying funny so not here fault really but yeah ...

Even my 13 week scan wasn't as great as I thought it would be.

Also the sonographers are never friggin happy or excited for you!
Always a bit grumpy and 'straight' if that makes sense?!

Kinda feels like such an anti-climax :cry:

EDIT: Gota add I'm very glad baby seemed very healthy :D

i felt the same at my 12wk scan but booked a private 16wk gender scan and it was on another level! that's when we really bonded with our little girl - the 12 wk one was so uptight and it's like "in.. done.. there's the baby.. OUT!!" :grr:

we're gonna go private again at around 28 wks :kiss:

i felt the same at my 12wk scan but booked a private 16wk gender scan and it was on another level! that's when we really bonded with our little girl - the 12 wk one was so uptight and it's like "in.. done.. there's the baby.. OUT!!" :grr:

we're gonna go private again at around 28 wks :kiss:

It's as if they forget how special it is to us!

We're gona go private 4d at 28 weeks too, hopefully be a btter experience since we're paying lol :D

they seriously just treat you like crap imo, i was called in, prodded, then i saw the baby for about 30seconds.. she asks "PHOTOS!?" but really abruptly, prints them out, and tells us to go back to the waiting room - not even a congratulatins.. :dohh:

aw, that's a shame you didn't get a better experience. sounds a bit like my 20 week scan last time. the one I just had, though, was much better, the sonographer was enthusiastic, really positive, full of congratulations - and then let me have 4 different pics. all really good ones. last time I had one poor pic where my son's leg looked like the back end of a roast chicken!

you'll love the 4D scan, though, I had one at 27 weeks last time an have decided to go for one this time as well because it really helped me bond with my baby. the pictures were amazing and I had a DVD. he was instantly recognisable when he was born.

Back end of a roast chicken?! :haha:

It's a shame to say my best experience has been in the EPU ...
And they only really peaked up when I mentioned it was IVF.

Even the IVF nurses were a bit grumpy at our very first scan! :dohh:

I was a little disappointed in my 20 week scan too. I can't fault the sonographer though as he was so attentive and really took his time. He showed us all of her organs and limbs and really explained everything to us.

The disappointment for me was in the photos, she fell asleep facing inwards so as much as he tried, he just couldn't get a photo of her. I was really upset as I wanted to show her off to everyone!

It did ease though and I'm not so bothered now, the main thing is my baby girl is perfect and healthy :cloud9:

Back end of a roast chicken?! :haha:

yep. heh. this is my son at 21 weeks (baby in my avatar). apparently he's yawning.

https://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a189/ariel3112/BabyYawning.jpg

Yeah, mine wasn't great. I think it's just NHS, you're just a number. I suppose it's necessary but doesn't make you feel great. I had private scans at 10 and 16 weeks and the difference is incredible. I have my 4d scan in two weeks and can't wait!!!

I was disappointed at my 13 week scan: only saw her for all of 5 seconds to prove something was inside me. FOB got to see it all. 3 prints (2 of the same and 1 a second later).

I saw A LOT more at my 20+6 scan. Not only that, I got to see her twice as I got called back in because they forgot to measure the stomach. The quality of the pictures weren't as clear as the first. The woman was going into great detail as to which bit was which and I saw the whole thing, until I was tilted 45 degrees :| The whole scan would of been around 20 minutes. 4 prints this time (2 laid flat, 2 with her arm up smiling).

I was almost in tears after my 12 wk nuchal fold testing scan. Was so excited, it was at a private ultrasound place where that is all they do, so I figured it would be AWESOME. The lady was more interested in talking my husband up on his military career than showing us the baby. LO was sleeping and she couldn't get the side view she needed to measure so she started bouncing the probe on my belly VERY forcefully, it started to hurt after about the 6th time she did it and she started complaining that she gets all the babies that don't cooperate and "geez baby can't you give me a break and just move already!", I felt like apologizing for my wayward fetus!!! The doctor finally came in because she just couldn't get it and the doctor was all smiles, and congratualtions and look what a beautiful miracle etc, that made it a bit better. But we're going back for our 21wk scan to the same place and I'm kind of dreading it instead of being excited!

Its worth bearing in mind that its a diagnostic procedure. Their job is to check your baby and make sure nothing is wrong. The giving you good views, talkin to you about it, printing pictures is just bedside manner and an added bonus. They do this day in and day out, I don't think saying congratulations is really going to be top of their mind.

Saying that, all my scans (last preg and this one so far) have been great :shrug:

I get that it's a diagnostic procedure and they have to concentrate but a smile or wishing you well is hardly going to exacerbate proceedings!

I had my 20 week scan yesterday and the experience was totally underwhelming for all the same reasons the OP talked about. I don't get it - a healthy baby is such a happy scenario however many times a day you see one! Even the consultant I saw was miserable.

Congratulations on your healthy little girl 20102001 - like you said, thats all that really matters :hugs:

i was very dissapointed at my 12week scan after suffering MC's last year i was really eager to see baby and make sure s/he was ok. the sonograher said yes theres baby measured the crown to rump and the fluid on back of neck and then we were out, felt like such an anti climax id been looking forward to it for weeks, however id had a private one done at 10 weeks at babybond and they were fab, were going back on saturday :) xx

I get that it's a diagnostic procedure and they have to concentrate but a smile or wishing you well is hardly going to exacerbate proceedings!

I had my 20 week scan yesterday and the experience was totally underwhelming for all the same reasons the OP talked about. I don't get it - a healthy baby is such a happy scenario however many times a day you see one! Even the consultant I saw was miserable.

Congratulations on your healthy little girl 20102001 - like you said, thats all that really matters :hugs:

Maybe just having a bad day :(

my scan pics have all been rubbish, but i don't care, baby is happy and healthy and we'll get plenty of pics when he/she arrives.

i don't mind if the pics are rubbish, although i'd probably be somewhat disappointed.. but we all have jobs to do, and no matter what that job is, it should be done with some common courtesy and thought toward the client/customer/patient.. :shrug:

For me it was the fact that when we had our 8week private, we had been told the baby was measuring a week or more behind and they could see the hb but that was it - really upset us and we just wanted some reassurane at the 12wk scan. DH told her that we'd been told that baby was too small and said "so is everything ok then!? we're so happy to hear that!" and we got a "i said the baby is measuring fine. Go back out and wait in the waiting room til your called" in response.. Totally uncalled for and really very rude.

Yes we're just a number and it's a diagnostic procedure and all that matters is that baby is ok, but what about enhancing the bond between mother and baby somewhat with a "here's your baby, congratulations".. that's all it would take! Instead of turning the screen - "head, body, legs, arms, do you want a picture? how many?" :shrug:

I must be lucky where I am! I've currently had one scan in the x-ray department, one in the EPU and one in the antenatal clinic and everyone has been absolutely lovely! I even think that the doctor I saw in the EPU sent a message down to the sonographer in x-ray to let her know that everything's OK because she gets concerned about every woman she sees that needs a referral! It was just a little annoying in the EPU that I didn't actually get to see baby on the screen at all but I did get a full commentary and she talked me through the picture afterwards, which was lovely! My 12 week scan, which I had at 11+2, was fantastic! The doctor (it was done by the antenatal clinic consultant) talked me through things and was really encouraging and seemed excited for us! She even gave us 2 free prints instead of just the 1 she could normally give out! :happydance: I'm really looking forward to my 20 week scan at the end of next month! :thumbup:

Beca :wave:

Thanks hun :D What made you think it was a girl though .. ? :winkwink:

We don't know what it is BUT everyone is convinced it's a girl cos they all got a good view and apprently seen legs and all sorts but no tackle :D

I just had my 20-week scan on Monday, and I was beyond dissapointed!!!! The tech we had was obviously having a bad day! She barely said anything- She was just taking measurements and not telling us what she was looking at, and when we would ask her, she would give us an attitude- I didnt know what I was looking at half of the time- She took some crappy pics right at the beggining, and that was it- It lasted for like 10 minutes, and then she got up and said "everything looks normal, I'll give the results to your doctor" and that was it- I was sooo mad!!! If you are going to be an ultrasound tech you have to be sympathetic and understand that you are dealing with pregnant women who will remmeber this experience forever, and its something that is beyond special and important-

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->