Anyone else a teacher? Or have to be in front of people all day?

Kzd2014

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just thought I'd check in and see if anyone was / has been in the same spot I am. I'm a high school teacher and literally find myself in tears when I think about going back to work due to overwhelming morning sickness.

I take one diclegis at night, but it makes me feel sedated the entire next day. Worried about teaching and interacting with kids if that keeps up! And the nausea... I'm going to pack lots of snacks, but except for my 20 minute lunch break, as many of you know there is no time to go to the bathroom or get a minute to myself. I seriously don't know how I will do it! Any suggestions? Does it get better?

Hi
I am a secondary teacher also. I am only 3+4 weeks but going back to work after summer hols on Wednesday and dreading dealing with the kids whilst feeling sick/tired. I am not sure quite what to do if you feel sick in the middle of a lesson?? Like you say you can't exactly run to a toilet!! There are none around my classroom and it would be mayhem by the time I returned I'm sure. Anyone got any suggestions ?

I'm sorry you're feeling so sick! My wife is a drill sergeant for the military lol...so she's kind of a teacher...just much much meaner :rofl:

She also works in the part of basic training where they do the mock deployment for a week, so she's on her feet all day screaming at trainees, in 100+ degree weather. At least until the military gets off their asses and finish her medical profile for being pregnant :rolleyes: SO, she actually just snacks in front of them. Under normal circumstances, she wouldn't do that, but if she doesn't snack every hour or two and drink massive amounts of water...she gets really dehydrated and sick. It's not ideal, especially when you're teaching, but you need to be able to eat something. Maybe try and work short 5 minutes breaks every hour or so between lesson plans where they have their heads in their books and you can sneak a granola bar or something fast. I hope you feel better! You're going to be exhausted. I have so much respect for teachers...

Im a teacher too and so far Ive been feeling fine. Hopefully it stays that way. I say do what you can and if you aren't feeling well, confide in someone so that you are not alone. I teach middle school 8th grade English.:thumbup:

I'm also a high school teacher, and I'm worried about going back tomorrow given how sick I've been! My plan so far:
-I've packed saltines, candied ginger, and trail mix
-I've told my principal, the teacher next door, and the counselor that I'm pregnant, in case I really need someone to step in
-I happen to have an office within my room, so if I need to puke, I'm planning to just run in there and either use the garbage can or sink. Thankful to have a sink.
-I'm going to do my best to not need bathroom breaks, but I'll just need the counselor or someone to watch my class if I can't make it for 3 hours. The first 2 days we have shorter classes, so I can test it.
-I'm planning to tell everyone (kids included) in 2 weeks, after our next scan. Once they know, I'm sure everyone will be very accommodating. Of course if I'm vomiting during class, I may need to share the news sooner, but it helps me to know that I only have to pull it together and try to act/look normal for 9 school days.

I'm actually more worried about fatigue than anything else right now. I find it difficult to walk up a flight of stairs right now, let alone be charismatic and engaging for a whole work day!

Let's keep in touch as school starts... I'm sure more advice (or at least support) will be needed!

I am lucky that I teach at college. My longest class is an hour and 50 mins. I don't know how you guys manage all day long! I find myself totally exhausted and I have nowhere near the energy I used to. Only once have I felt ill during class, and I just let them have a 5 min break, nobody complained haha.
I am really REALLY hoping I start to feel better around weeks 12 or 13 because this is TOUGH. I'm also not wanting to tell anyone for a few more weeks (I'm 8w now) because I get new classes every semester and I don't want them to not rehire me because I'm going to be out for the last month, including finals week, eek!

I'm a dance teacher. For my younger classes I have an assistant and the older ones I would have to trust they will be ok for a few mins if I dash to the loo. I have told most of the people I work for and they know we have been trying for a while. I start back next week so fingers crossed the sickness and tiredness eases off a bit before then.

I was a summer leader with 3rd graders all summer at a day camp during my 1st tri, and even though I felt sick and tired and needed to go the bathroom all the time when I was home.. when I was actually with the kids at work I was so busy with them my symptoms were pushed back and I almost felt 'normal' besides the fatigue. Maybe thatll be the same for you?

I actually found being in the classroom distracted me a lot. I was lucky that I never actually vomited last time or this time so I haven't had to rush out the classroom.
Ice water, peppermints and dry crackers were my life savers. Add some lemon to your ice water, that helps too. Raw carrots are also very good. For breakfast eat things like toast with either peanut butter or cream cheese. Make sure you never let your stomach get empty.

I teach 4th grade. We have been in school two weeks. So far, so good. Havent been sick at all(I know, lucky me) I have found im just meaner. Lol. My tolerence for dumb recess fights or classroom behaviors, is very low. Ive also been extra cranky to my coworkers. The biggest thing is how exhausted I am. Every night I fall asleep at 9pm on the couch.

My biggest worry is having to pee. We take a class bathroom break and I go at the end. I dont have a room aide this year and havent told anyone.

I teach year 1 (5-6 year olds) and have been back to school for a week. Although I can't indulge in my afternoon snoozes that I got used to, it has taken my mind off obsessing over my symptoms! Am lucky as I have an adult toilet just outside my classroom. My ta knows too so can cover if needed. I did get out of breath doing brain gym and demonstrating star jumps in pe was interesting too!

Thanks for this thread! I teach special ed (all ages 3-21) and have NO idea what I am going to do!
In the mornings I am one-to-one with a young student in the clinic with literally no one else around. At this time I can sneak snacks at least but if I need to puke I will literally need to do it in a trash can in front of the student as he cannot be left alone. If I need to pee I am just screwed.
Also people do pass through the building sometimes so I could get caught snacking or puking...
Later I am in the classroom for four hours until lunch where it would be not considered appropriate to snack and I would need to arrange for someone to cover my students to go to the bathroom - I could not simply run out...
Later I am one-to-one again but with more people around - it would be easier to get coverage but the bathrooms are right there with paper-thin doors (you must run the water when peeing) and everyone will hear it if I vomit...

I really don't want to tell everyone so early - especially as I am considered high risk for mc - but it seems impossible to hide!

Thank you whoever gave the lemon-water tip - I can get away with that - though it will make me need to pee more...

I don't teach but I facilitate childbirth education classes and parenting programs all day. Suck on mints. It'll help the nausea.

You should be able to arrange for someone to take over your class at scheduled times throughout the day for a couple minutes at a time. you shouldn't be made to hold your pee that long when your hormones are increasing urine production and the baby is pressing on your bladder!

I teach year four (8/9 year olds). All our classrooms connect via internal doors, so I think I'm goint to have to confess to my partner teacher next door, so I can just throw the door open and run to the loo if I need to! Last time I had snacks stashed all over the classroom, so I could grab a biscuit or something wherever I happened to be, and that seemed to keep the sickness at bay. The actual vomiting seems to be worse this time, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"