Anyone else considering avoiding induction for as along as possible? 42+??

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by mummypeanut, Dec 12, 2009.

1. mummypeanut

mummypeanut baby due march 10th

I know its early days but I'm really hoping to avoid induction for 2 main reasons..

1/ I (and the midwife) both think that theyve dated the baby a little early (I think about a week). Personally I think the date theyve given me as a due date is extremely unlikely to be my real due date.

2/ Everything ive read about induction suggests that although it often leads to a healthy baby you're much more likely to end up with lots of intervention and a c-section which id really like to avoid.

It can't stay in there forever right? I have everything crossed that the baby wont go past 42 weeks and then i wont have to decide whether to wait it out or accept an induction. I want baby to come when its fully cooked, not when they think its fully cooked!!

Am i the only mad person out there considering flouting medical procedure?

2. moomin_troll

moomin_troll mummy to zane and corey

the longest any hospital will let u go over is 14 days and thats at a push the normal induction time period is 10-12 days.

if lo wont come out by him/herself then its best to get them out as soon as possible rather then wait cuz u dont want to be induced, i didnt want to be induced but after 13 days early labour i wanted it to be over and get my son out safe and it really wasnt as bad as i thought it was going to be

good luck x

3. DueMarch2nd

DueMarch2nd mummy to a little lamb

I feel the same about avoiding induction BUT the placenta has a expiration date so to speak. Some babys can actually not get enough nutrition if left too long and the worst can and does happen. 40 weeks isnt fully formed anyway, 37 is so even if they are a week out and the baby comes after 40 weeks for you, it is still very healthy for baby. Look into the risks of babies that go past due by a bit. I think you will change your mind. No hospital will let you go over 42 weeks at the LATEST because the baby cant get what it needs in the womb if they do

4. T-Bex

T-Bex Mother of one

My induction is booked for tuesday (I'll be 41+6), and I have thought about refusing it, because, like you, I think the dates are a bit squiffy.

But, having weighed the pros and cons, I'm going to opt for it the induction. If nothing else, I'm utterly desperate for her to be out, now!

I've talked to people who've gone over by more then two weeks though, and it is possible. It's strongly against the medical advice, but you can do it.

5. moomin_troll

i think ppl who choose to go over 42 weeks are mad! id sooner have my son out safetly and get cut or a csection then leave him in there and the possibility that something bad cud happen to him

6. Luna

Luna Mum of two

There is a rise in neonatal death over 42 weeks. Sadly a fact. That is why induction is timed as it is. If/when i find myself in this situation i will take medical advice however i feel - a healthy baby is most important.

Hugs and hope all goes well!

7. Cattia

Cattia Well-Known Member

I personally would love to be offered induction right now and I would take it like a shot! Once you go over your dates it gets anxiety provoking the longer they are in there and every day you wonder if they are going to be OK.

8. bexie1985

bexie1985 Well-Known Member

sorry i agree with momin there is no way i want to go 2weeks over, i went a week over with my daughter and it was hell, thank god for the sweep as they where going to induce me the next day but luckily she came. U must think how big they get in them last two weeks, leaving ur baby inside to get so big u cant deliver naturally seems silly? just my opinion tho, i hate being pregnant and was desperate to get my daughter out,lol!! praying i dont go over so dont have to worry about this. i hope ur baby comes on time for you xx

9. Cattia

Cattia Well-Known Member

Yes I am 4 days over and hating every minute of it! I have had an easy pregnancy up to my due date but now it's really miserable and I just want it to happen. I am not likley to be induced until 21st and am wondering how I will ever make it that long :( If they offered me ANY kind of intervention now I would take it!!

10. moomin_troll

i went to 42 weeks and its no fun at all as i said before i was in early labour 13 days started the day before my due date but my contractions werent strong enough so they had to pop my waters, if i was left to it id of been in serious trouble and so would zane of been.

i had to be cut but that had nothing to do with bein induced.

NOT everyone whos induced has complications or need intervention

11. BeccaMichelle

BeccaMichelle Mummy of 2

My husband was born an entire month late and he was perfectly fine... (I can't imagine going 4 weeks past my due date though.. I'd probably go insane.)

However I have heard a lot of bad stuff about post mature babies..

Here's a segment from https://www.healthsystem.virginia.edu/uvahealth/peds_hrnewborn/postmtur.cfm

Why is postmaturity a concern?
    Postmature babies are born at the very end, or past, the normal length of pregnancy. The placenta, which supplies babies with the nutrients and oxygen from the mother's circulation, begins to age toward the end of pregnancy, and may not function as efficiently as before. Other concerns include the following:

Amniotic fluid volume may decrease and the fetus may stop gaining weight or may even lose weight.

Risks can increase during labor and birth for a fetus with poor oxygen supply.

Problems may occur during birth if the baby is large.

Postmature babies may be at risk for meconium aspiration, when a baby breathes in fluid containing the first stool.

Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) can also occur because the baby has too little glucose-producing stores.

12. moomin_troll

a month over! blimey his poor mum lol glad hes ok tho n didnt experience any problems because of it

13. bexie1985

bexie1985 Well-Known Member

a month over, bloomin heck, theres not a chance,lol. x

14. BeccaMichelle

BeccaMichelle Mummy of 2

I know!! She was due on Thanksgiving and he arrived completely on his own Christmas day. I think I would have been begging for a c-section by then. He was the very first baby born on Christmas day and they brought him back to her in a big Christmas stocking. Didn't seem to have hurt him anyway as he's actually the smartest person I know! :) (I still get miffed that his birthday is on Christmas since it complicates matters so much and if he'd come on time it wouldn't have been an issue.. *laughs* I'm a horrible person!)

15. suzib76

suzib76 Well-Known Member

i wouldnt take the risk based on wanting to avoid intervention as the later lo stays in there the more dangerous it actually becomes. the placenta will start to deteriorate which could possibly cause serious harm to the baby

i is hard when you have your mind set on the kind of birth you want only to find out it may not happen that way, i am at the moment waiting for a gestational diabetes test, which if it comes back positive means i will need to be induced at 38 weeks which i really am not happy about - also having a group b strep test at 37 weeks - the result of which will determine whether i can have baby at midwife unit or hospital (assuming the diabetes test is firstly clear) so i havent been able to make any plans as such - but i am keeping an open mind

16. MiissDior

MiissDior Mommy of 3(1 in heaven)

If your given an induction Date PLEASSSEEEEEEEEEEE take it!!!!!

My daughter Died due to been left 14days Over.. :(
    she stopped getting nutrients and died

if your baby can be born alive and healthy , shud it matter when/how that is

I live with the fact i never even got to see what colour her eyes are:cry:
    hear her cry , take 1st steps, speak 1st word... and all because i was left go over due....

PLEASEEEEEEEE take a date if your given one
    xx

17. Naya69

Naya69 Well-Known Member

yes the placenta starts to die after 42 weeks and the baby stopps growing and eventualy the worst happens it stops giving oxegen to baby a very sad fact and i think a midwife wouldnt let you choice to say no to being induced because of this fact so please ladies think about your lo's before refusing a induction because wouldnt it be better to bring a healthy baby into the world but have to have a c section ??

18. Naya69

Naya69 Well-Known Member

iam so sorry to hear this :hugs::cry:

19. Aidan's Mummy

Aidan's Mummy Mummy to Aidan and Oliver

Hun I really advise you not to go to far over 42 weeks because at that stage the placenta will start to shut down etc
    xx

20. Snowball

Snowball Resident badass

Our first son was born 17 days overdue. He was swimming in meconium and it was a very worrying time. Thankfully he was ok and I didn't realise till we lost Beau how lucky we were that Eddie had no problems. Take an induction if offered it. I had one with Ozzie at 39 weeks this time and he came out fine and I needed no c section/interventions.