• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Anyone else considering avoiding induction for as along as possible? 42+??

Missdior I am very sorry for your loss

Im the same as snowball as well I had an induction with aidan and my labour went just fine
xx

I wouild never let them let me go over 42 weeks! way to dangerous! The person whos OH went a month over its probably most likely that somewhere down the line there was a mixup with dates...

I'm happy to be induced if it's for the benefit of the baby but I won't deny I'm scared. The lady who ran our antenatal class confirmed that contractions can feel worse when you're induced. I do suspect I'm a week out anyway so I won't push for an induction unless it's advised. My midwife has been superb too so I trust her judgement completely. xx

I've got an induction booked for next Tuesday which will be 40+1. I will have no hesitation in accepting it if baby doesn't appear before then - its a definate end and believe me after 37ish weeks you will probably start getting desperate for baby to come out!

Also its not automatic that an induced labour is more painful or longer than a natural one although there is the increased risk of intervention. You don't know what your labour would have been like if not induced so it will be impossible to compare.

they offer an induction for a reason - because its not safe for your baby to stay in there so yes i will be taking one, i cant think of any good reasons not to be induced - the health of the baby is the most important thing. I really dont want a c-section but im willing to have one if it means i get a healthy baby. yes labour might be more painful for us but at the end of teh day we are going to be mothers - our babies needs should come way above ours

According to my NCT teacher, you cannot be forced into induction even at 42 weeks and beyond and she herself went to 43 weeks + with all five of her kids who then came naturally and were fine etc etc.

However, as some others have said, 42 weeks is a bit of a marker for a reason and there is evidence that after this the placenta starts to be far less effective and so LO is at more at risk.

For me, I would be very nervous waiting and wondering if I was in someway damaging LO and will go down the induction route if we end up in that situation.

The comments of 'your hospital won't let you go over 42 weeks' are a little dramatic!! A policeman isn't going to knock on your door and drag you into hospital to have an induced labour or anything. It's a recommendation not to go over 42 weeks, but as you have said your dates could be out!

The bottom line is you need to make your own decission that you are comfortable with. If you are comfortable with your dates being wrong and you think you have more time, then who are we to judge that!? I would ask an awful lot of questions on how they will monitor you and the baby after the 42week period. As there is alot that the hospital can do to determine the quality of the placenta and baby's nutrients/oxygen if you request it. But you need to ask these questions to get the answers.

xx

No, it is dangerous for baby and mum for the baby to stay in there longer. The placenta looses function.

I was induced at 42 weeks and my baby was very big plus he has eczema from the reduction in amniotic fluid. He came out with red sores all over him. the waxy coating starts to decline after 40 weeks and the amniotic fluid irritates their skin. Plus eczema is linked with Asthma and he has asthma also. His size made for a traumatic birth and we could have both been a lot less lucky.

I am going to be asked this time to be induced on my due date if it hasn't happened by then already.

yes my mum confirmed that contractions are more painful when induced BUT if its ur first like zanes mine u cant tell the diffrence so who cares lol.

contractions are the worst part but it wasnt half as bad as i thought n i got thru it with some gas and air

I think it is crazy to refuse an induction

My worst fear is going over my due date as I know lots of angel mummies who lost their babies due to placenta failure :cry: & after losing my last 2 babies I will be very anxious as my due date approaches

The most important thing is having your baby safe in your arms & it is defo not a risk id be willing to take as id never forgive myself if anything were to happen x

Placenta problems can happen at any time (me for example) but the further you go overdue the higher your risks are for these types of problems. I also have a friend who had her dates messed up and when her son was born he was only 5lbs3oz (I believe) he was so dry skinned, real bad blood sugar levels, he was so small and sick looking... he was in the NICU for a few nights due to this and the doctor's told my friend her amniotic fluids were so low that her waters didn't break and the doctor's didn't break them (dry dry birth) and her placenta was very aged. She was on the verge of having a possible placental abruption which can lead to death for mother and baby. I only lost my son, I survived but it was a miracle I am even here. I was only 37 weeks when mine detached, due to high blood pressure, not being over due. My son passed 8 hours after delivery via emergency c-section, blood transfusions for him and myself etc...

I highly recommend not letting yourself go over due if you can help it and really don't push to go even further than your doctor advises. I personally don't think it's worth the risks hun. So many things can happen... not like it happens every time but they can... and that is enough for me.

So much heartache :cry: So sorry to all you ladies who have lost your babies :( xxx

I went in to labour at 41+4 but i would and will next time go for monitoring of the baby and placenta rather than induction.

in my area they induce at 10 days past your due date, but cos that makes it Xmas day for me they said they'd let me go 14 days over - which is worrying enough to me. Don't lke the idea of spending Xmas worrying if lo is ok and if my placenta is still doing a good job and that fluid levels are ok (they can fall to dangerous levels nearer to 42 weeks.

If they offered to induce me now I would bite their hand off!

I was booked for induction at exactly 2 weeks over and that's when he arrived, although by natural start not induction!! i was still hooked up to the monitors and had the pictocin drip to regulate contractions on that 42 week limit, but had a problem free birth afterwards.

I really didnt want to go to 42 weeks but that's how it panned out and he still arrived at a nice average 7lb 12.5oz.

In France I heard its 43 weeks ...

Although hospitals dont recommend you go more than 14 days over due you are perfectly within your rights to refuse to be induced.

BUT it will be easier for you if you have a co-operative MW and all is well with you and babba.

I wouild never let them let me go over 42 weeks! way to dangerous! The person whos OH went a month over its probably most likely that somewhere down the line there was a mixup with dates...

That's entirely possible! I can't imagine the doctor would have been comfortable leaving her that long if he thought she was spot on with her dates. (She also keeps telling me that she only put on 9lbs her entire pregnancy. Her baby was 9lbs something...! How is that possible? (She said she didn't have morning sickness either so it's not like she was losing weight because of that like so many of us do.) MILs... *shakes head* you never know what's going on inside their heads! :D)

I'm so happy that I know my dates exactly, only had 2 days that month that we did anything! It's nice to know that I can be confident that at 40 weeks I really will be 40 weeks and not worried that the dates were wrong somewhere. I'll definitely be taking an induction if need be. Bring on the pain! So worried about baby in there! - (course I'll probably be even MORE worried about her once she's out!)

At my antenatal class, the midwife made it sound like it was very much a personal choice to be induced at 12-14 days past due date. She obviously explained the known risks but said that you would be monitored everyday past for fluid levels, problems etc. She also came up with a statistic that something like 70% of mums would deliver naturally if left a few more days (obviously a bit vauge so can't guarantee I remembered correctly!) which really made me think and then went on to say about inductions being more painful etc etc. It seems as though one view is that you can be pushed towards induction because its more convenient for the hospital.

Saying that not sure what I would do and would probably just follow the medical advice. TBH I hope he just arrives before I have to make the decision.

Just to add, sorry to those for their losses xx

My hopsital won't let women go past 42 weeks. I'd rather avoid an induction but if it came to it personally I wouldn't refuse xx

Thank you to the people who gaved balanced replies and opinions.

To the people who refurred to me as mad or crazy - I would ask that in future you respect everyones right to ask questions and make thier own decisions for thier body and thier baby based on personal circumstances without judgement.

My condolences to the mummys of angels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"