anyone else find bumgenius bulky??

Discussion in 'Natural Parenting' started by wishingonastar, May 31, 2011.

1. wishingonastar

wishingonastar Well-Known Member

I'm new to cloth so am trying out different designs...I am so far loving the bitti tutto, but am surprised I don't love bumgenius...I see people rave about them all the time but they look bulky on both my girls and since isabel fits the biggest setting on it I'd have thought it would fit better? It looks sooo wide across the crotch

2. JA1988

JA1988 Well-Known Member

Yes I find that with the birth to potty (one size) bumgenius, so I have been stocking up on the bumgenius all in one's which are sized, but they have been discontinued unfortunately :-( baba me are still selling them and they are only £7.50, I have been buying the mediums as they last up until lo is 28lbs and they are much less bulky. They are also really reliable as have never ever had a leak and they have pockets so you can boost them aswell, I can get up to 5/6 hours maybe more out of them if needed :)

3. Eala

Eala Mum of two gorgeous girls

Width across the crotch isn't a bad thing, it's better for hip development :)

Which BG do you have? I've only tried the flips and organics, out of those two I love the Organics. They are extremely trim given the absorbency they offer. I know a lot of people rate Flips, but I found them finicky and a weird fit. If you like Tuttos though, you might like them, as I found the Flip all baggy at the bum same as the Tutto.

4. wishingonastar

Yeah I thought about trying some sized ones but I do like the one sized cos of having two of different ages

I have a BG V4...got it as a trial from CandC with a couple of others inc the tutto...it seems to work, I'll give it that, but made emily look abnormal once her clothes were on :haha: OH is against cloth in the main and the BG is putting him off even more!

Got two flips on order to try and will see how we go but you may see them on the sale section here before long!!!!

5. Lou181

Lou181 Well-Known Member

Yes...I was so going to post something like this! I find the flips stay dry, bulky and firm and I don't like the folded end of either the flips or the v4's so today I used 2 newborn inserts in the v4 outer!

I'm loving tots bots easy fit at the mo!

I have a tutto but it baffles me, it's red and I'm scared to wash it incase the colour runs :wacko: and the inserts/poppers confuse me :shrug:

I'm hoping the bum genius will fit better when she's older!

6. Rachel_C

Rachel_C Well-Known Member

I think it's just what you're used to. I would say that BGs/Flips are pretty standard so any cloth nappy that isn't as bulky/wide is just a trim nappy. But that's probably because we only used disposables for the first 10 days so I don't consider them normal if that makes sense! Babies in disposables feel/look a bit weird to me, like they have no bottom. Give it some time anyway, if you haven't already. Your perception of what a nappy should look/feel like might change.

7. fluffpuffin

fluffpuffin Well-Known Member

They are not the bulkiest nappy but neither are they the trimmest - the BG organics AIO and flips are much trimmer (and more absorbent). They are very reliable though IMO and that's why I rate them compared to other pockets / AIO's. Also, if you use replace one of the inserts with a bamboo inserts / booster then it makes it slimmer and more absorbent.

8. Jetters

Jetters Well-Known Member

I don't think they are that bulky. Other brands are worse! Bg organic aios and flips are trimmer than v4s. I like the wide crotch... Leakproof.

9. mummyclo

mummyclo Guest

I found the V3's and 4's bulky but i use Organics now and find them excellent and not too bulky at all!

10. wishingonastar

aww give the tutto a go! i have the royal blue (like an electric blue colour) and have washed it on 60 with all my others inc a white tots bots and the colour didn't run...maybe i was just lucky?!?!?!?!

the tutto is definately my fav so far and i didn't think it would be when i opened the nappy pack! the poppers and inserts are easy once you know how (they even colour code the poppers on inserts to make life easier)...best thing i did was google each of the nappies in my trial pack and watch a quick youtube vid on how to use them...now i feel pretty confident with my nappies i've got from other brands too as once you understand the basics on a couple they're all pretty much the same :thumbup:

11. wishingonastar

have got some bamboo inserts and boosters coming so will give that a go to make it less bulky, thanks :thumbup:

maybe rachel's right and i just need to get used to them as opposed to the disposable shape :shrug: the hip side of things worries me as emily has to go back for a second hip scan due to her being a big baby and the first scan showing a possible problem (apparently big girl baby's are increased risk of hip probs)...lots of stuff i've seen inc why to use slings not baby bjorns at newborn stage says it encourages the right hip position and thats what the bumgenius seems to do i guess so i should just go with it really! OH may have to put up with our big bottomed baby look :haha:

12. Rachel_C

Rachel_C Well-Known Member

In a couple of months you'll pick up a baby in a disposable and wonder where their bottom has gone :lol:.

13. wishingonastar

loving that thought :thumbup: :haha:

14. Lou181

Lou181 Well-Known Member

Hi

Which boosters and inserts did u go for, if you don't mind me asking? Ta

15. wishingonastar

got some Little Lamb bamboo boosters and have some spare various ones for different brands that i can mix and match with

16. surprisemummy

surprisemummy Well-Known Member

i definately agree about giving yourself time to adjust to how different cloth and disposibles look on. i spent the first 2 months of cloth nappying asking for the trimmest nappy as i thought all mine were massive but you do get used to it and it looks so much cuter. my lo wears disposibles too and i pick him up wondering where his bum has went when hes got one on :) xx