Anyone else got a Vitamin B12 deficiency?

Discussion in 'Postnatal Support' started by helen0381, Dec 14, 2009.

1. helen0381

helen0381 Mummy to Jack and TTC#2!

Went to the doctors the other week and told her I had been feeling soooooo tired and depressed. Also had mouth ulcers and a sore tongue. She told me to have a blood test and I went for the results today and it turns out I have a Vitamin B12 deficiency. Im sooo relieved that there is actually something wrong and its not just me!

Anyone else had this??

Helen

xxx

2. purpledahlia

purpledahlia Mummy

I had that before i got pg, i got some tablets and told to eat certain foods... nobody checked up on it again..

3. rache83

rache83 Guest

I have a B12 deficiency got diagnosed over 2 years ago now. The B12 deficiency didnt help with being pregnant, had regular blood tests to check levels and I have my B12 level checked every 6 months.

Has the GP said how they will treat your deficiency? I currently take 5mg of Folic acid daily and have B12 injections every 8-10 weeks dependant on the last result. After my LO was born I ended up having a blood transfusion on day 3 and now have the B12 every 8 weeks, and am still taking iron tablets until my next blood test.

Depending on how they want to treat you will depend on how quickly you start to feel less tired. If your having injections then after the 3rd initial injection (you have 1 a week for 3 weeks and then go onto 1 every 3 months) you should start to feel some improvement. Eating iron rich food will also help.

Hope this helps xx