Anyone else just feeling really rubbish?

sarah2211

Reaction score
I'm 6 weeks pregnant with my first. After dealing with infertility and taking fertility treatment, I had expected when I got here I'd be feeling nothing but excitement and relief. Except I just feel terrible.

I'm tired all the time and nap 1-2 times a day. All day nausea. Headaches. Can't eat anything other than plain toast and rice crackers. Boobs are massive and sore. Green diarrhoea and a horrible feeling in my tummy. Feeling hot. Heaps of extra saliva. Indigestion. Peeing all the time. Oh and did I mention tired??

I know it's meant to be a good sign that you're feeling sick and that the baby is hopefully growing strong. But I can't enjoy it feeling like this.

I'm off work until week 8 and after that I'm back to school as a full time teacher. I don't know how I'm going to cope.

Anyone else feeling just rubbish or have any first trimester survival tips?

Nausea: Little bits of protein frequently. Never go more than 2 hours without eating.

This is my newest way of dealing with the nausea that I just discovered this pregnancy. I will have a small meal every 4 hours and eat a Mini Babybel cheese in between each meal. Sometimes, I've even had my OH get me a cheese while I'm in bed at night because I'll start to feel sick from not eating after dinner. Oops. This is changing, though. I'm 11 weeks along and don't feel nauseated at night anymore. I am also not as ill and can go longer between meals/snacks, although I still try not to. Carbs make nausea worse because your blood sugar raises and drops quickly, causing you to get nauseated more often. If you're suffering from aversions and can't stomach the protein, okay. Hard candies work to cut the nausea, but as soon as the candy dissolves, the nausea will come right back. I'd suck on one after another throughout my other pregnancies.

Exhaustion & Headache: Magic pill. Nope. There is none. Sorry. I'm so sorry that you definitely won't have time for a nap while you're working. This is a hard one because there's just no workaround. You can try exercising at least 15 minutes per day, as this does help your energy level, but you'll still be darned tired.

Peeing constantly!: This one will go away pretty soon... but probably not soon enough for you. At around 10 weeks along, your growing uterus will start to move up just enough to take the pressure off of your bladder.

Indigestion: Ooh, this one might be an easy fix. Don't take any fluids with your meals. This includes soup. Soup is fine when eaten alone, but soup with a sandwich or bread will probably cause heartburn or just upset your tummy if you're prone to indigestion in pregnancy (and you clearly are). Also, avoid eating a lot at once. It doesn't sound like you're eating a lot at once. My doctor doesn't like pregnant patients to take any medications before 12 weeks along, but Tums are fine at this stage. They're just calcium. I've lived off of Tums throughout many of my pregnancies.

Good luck! It took me 18 months to conceive my first baby, and I was shocked to be so miserable when it should have been such a happy time. You learn little tips and tricks along the way, and if you aren't afraid to experiment a little, you'll probably find ways to make yourself feel a little better... or you'll wait it out, and this stage will be over before you know it and onto the glowing second tri! :)

Yes first trip an feeling rubbish is pretty much how I describe it. I remember with my first I was tired and nauseous but this time round it's started earlier. I found the after after taste of food often upsets my tummy so brushing teeth helps or something minty. Indigestion I take rennies quite a lot for my bloated tummy. Eating little and often definitely helps. And lots of water. I've gone from drinking lots of diet coke to lots of water over the day since I found out I was pregnant mainly because I was soooooooo thirsty to start off with as well. Mine has no rhythm to it, nausea at different times each day. Good luck, hope it eases soon. 2nd trimester is just around the corner!

Yep all the same expect constipation instead of diarrhoea - probably due to my very bland diet at the minute.

No tips or advice as I had the same with my daughter expect it was not this early on it was more like 8-12wks.

I try to take my prenatal/folic acid on an evening before bed as it doesn't seem to agree with me.

I'm just wishing the weeks away till 12week scan & to the leave this trimester. I really enjoyed the 2nd trimester with my daughter.

We will get through it :)

Supplement with some magnesium pills. It helps get over the hump. It doesn't fix everything but it helps. Also make sure you aren't getting dehydrated! That makes everything worse

I really wanted this baby and we tried for 8 months (I'm sure at lot less than you, bless you) but oh my gosh when the illness of the first tri hit me like a train, I've got to be honest sometimes I'd wish for it to just end and be worried I'd made the wrong call getting pregnant at this time :( it was a horrible feeling and it felt like I'd never enjoy the pregnancy, but I was wrong, it has got a lot better this week, I've been hot on taking my magnesium religiously and I'm convinced it helps. I now haven't been sick for 2 whole days! :O haha.
And now it's feeling a bit easier I'm starting to enjoy it and get excited so much :D When you feel like you're gonna die you go a bit crazy I think.. you'll get through it hunny I promise, you'll start to enjoy it, but for now just SURVIVE for a few weeks. If you need time off work, get a note from the doctor, it hopefully won't be like this too long.

All my love to you <3

The fatigue hit me week 6, and it is slowly starting to ease up. I actually managed to crawl to the library today which was a miracle. I didn't do anything beyond nap, eat, and throw up all last week. Plus I have been suffering with the worst cold.
I am still very tired, but it's slowly getting better.

Blah, thank you all so much for the tips and empathy. I'll look into getting some magnesium. How much do you take?

I'm finding the nausea the hardest to deal with. But this afternoon I got a bit of a break which was amazing. But now it's back again. I'm just thankful for a little relief.

I'm almost halfway through the first trimester. I know that it's the easiest half but hopefully the next half goes quickly.

I think it's just going to be 6 and a half weeks of surviving. Let's hope when we hit 13 weeks we feel much better.

I really had it quite easy with my first child, but I keep telling hubby that this new baby must hate me to make me feel so miserable. I was doing pretty well until the last week or so. Now it's constant nausea, fatigue, and vomiting. Definitely hoping it's just a matter of getting through the next month or so. We have dairy goats that should start kidding beginning of March and I will be so much busier. I already feel like a bad mom because I spend more time watching my son play than really playing with him right now.

Just wanted to say I am a teacher as well and have had a rough pregnancy. Just have been very sick, extreme fatigue, intense bloating, every unpleasant symptom multiplied by 5. I'm closing in on 19 week and was getting better but then got hit by stomach flu. I've worked through the whole time and have only taken 5 days off for sickness.

It sucks, but you'll get through it. Just is miserable when you're in it. But I never thought at 8 weeks that I'd make it...still don't know how to make it through the next half but it'll pass too. Just resting all the time and taking meds when I need them is what I've done. I've given up on a normal life for the next five months, I'll get back to doing normal things once it's over.

I thought my energy was returning but today I slept for 2.5 hours. I am so tired of being tired. :(

I've been having a few patches of normality and no nausea in between feeling terrible the past few days. So I'm trying to appreciate those moments. I thought after having such a rough time with infertility that maybe I'd have an easy time with pregnancy. I guess not :(

I feel ok, generally speaking...

This morning, however, I had some morning sickness (?) I didn't really vomit. It was more of a dry heaving. I did twice about an hour apart..I was getting ready for school (I'm a teacher...was really hoping I could avoid the morning sickness because of that)

I was just wondering if dry heaving is normal? I would have felt better if I had thrown up but it was just dry heaves...*shudders* Is this morning sickness? Or is it a bug? Or perhaps indigestion? I had one other morning a couple weeks ago that I dry heaved instead of vomited. I also had similar gastrointestinal issues....(bad poos...lol tmi sorry)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->