Anyone else needing to get health problems controlled before TTC?

I have Crohn's disease. At the moment the illness is under control thanks to medication but I will have to keep taking the meds when pregnant. This doesn't sit we'll with me but it can be dangerous to conceive or be pregnant while the illness is active so I don't really have a choice. Luckily, there are no proven side effects other than low birth weight but I imagine I would be consultant led.

I am hopefully going to be ttc in December, third time lucky I hope because we have had to delay twice. Wishing you all healthy wtt and ttc journeys x

I think as long as the risks to baby are outweighed by risks to urself or baby then meds r ok n if I do find that I am in agony again when I come off pain relief I will take the bare minimum to help it n wud expect to have extra checks for baby

I just realised that doesn't make sense except in my head lol, I meant the risks of taking the meds to the baby to the risks of not taking it harming u or baby etc does that make sense now lol

This thread has honestly showed me how Lucky I am! you Ladies have so much to deal with. I remember saying to myself how lucky people were they could just go ahead and be careless and get surprize pregnancys! and dont have to sort their health out first and go tell someone your wanting to get pregnant. and dont have to deal with constant worry about what your health issues is doing to your baby. But then all you ladies came along and shared your stories. and I have realized just how lucky I really am and how good I have got it. sending all my support your way ladies cant wait until the :bfp: times comes around for all of us. I will be stalking to see how you guys get on :) xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<3

It is good to feel like I am not alone. I don't know anyone with Crohn's let alone anyone to share a pregnancy story with or ask for advice so the other ladies on here are very much appreciated.

Does anyone know if you are classed as a high risk pregnancy or put under extra doctor/midwife care if you have an illness or condition or will be taking meds while pregnant? I keep seeing conflicting info online and things in the US seem different to UK. Any help would be much appreciated. I assume when you ave your first appointment when pregnant it would be something you discuss x

I think Vikster that you probably would be considered high risk with Crohn's - I know as a diabetic I am automatically high risk - the first gynae I had did extra early appointments, but the second gynae kept me on the same schedule as everyone else - which was almost a high risk schedule even if you had a normal pregnancy.

Well my sugars seem to be getting better. I checked my average for the last month and it is down to 7.3 on my machine - that will not be the same as the lab when I get my hba1c done, but if it were I would have a below 7.0 hba1c which would be better than last pregnancy so that makes me happy - even if I could get it in the low 7s I would be happy for now.

No news of the pump yet but that was to be expected. DH and I are going to have a more serious conversation soon about the third child (in a few weeks time) - and yes he does know this is happening :) so wish me luck.

I think Vikster that you probably would be considered high risk with Crohn's - I know as a diabetic I am automatically high risk - the first gynae I had did extra early appointments, but the second gynae kept me on the same schedule as everyone else - which was almost a high risk schedule even if you had a normal pregnancy.

Well my sugars seem to be getting better. I checked my average for the last month and it is down to 7.3 on my machine - that will not be the same as the lab when I get my hba1c done, but if it were I would have a below 7.0 hba1c which would be better than last pregnancy so that makes me happy - even if I could get it in the low 7s I would be happy for now.

No news of the pump yet but that was to be expected. DH and I are going to have a more serious conversation soon about the third child (in a few weeks time) - and yes he does know this is happening :) so wish me luck.

Good Luck!!! My hba1c was 7.1 to begin with in my last pregnancy and I managed to get it down to 5.4 ish throughout so thats a good start, your on the right track....my team like it to be below 7.5 to start trying :thumbup:

Yes...lupus/probable Sjogren's syndrome here. I have anti-Ro antibodies, which can be really damaging to a developing baby's heart (meaning they'd need a permanent pacemaker), and can cause LO to be born with neonatal lupus which can cause them to be quite ill and have scarred skin. So I want to try and get it all under control as much as possible and get fully prepared before TTC, so I can minimise any efffects on my future LOs. Hoping to be able to TTC after Christmas this year, but that's subject to the doctor's say-so.

I hope you manage to get your diabetes reined in soon so you can TTC :flower:

I have lupus as well, I am ANA positive which massively increases my chance of miscarriage (1 in 5) and preterm labour (1 in 3) which terrifies me. Luckily I am finally apart from that stable enough in every other way to TTC but unfortunately me and my OH aren't ready financially and in terms of our studies to TTC so I am terrified that I will have a flare up again before then and that pushes TTC even further back. But I have my fingers crossed for you that your health stays good and you can start soon!!
I was reading up on neonatal lupus recently and it seems like the risks are pretty minimal luckily with some good old steroids it should be pretty short lived for the little ones.

I need to get my thyroid levels stable (hypothyroid), and also need to prepare body for HG which I had with my daughter. I've been reading the helpHER boards and read that taking milk thistle and B6 for a few months before conception may prevent or lessen the severiity of HG. Also taking prenatal and trying to eat healthy in preparation!

I have lupus as well, I am ANA positive which massively increases my chance of miscarriage (1 in 5) and preterm labour (1 in 3) which terrifies me. Luckily I am finally apart from that stable enough in every other way to TTC but unfortunately me and my OH aren't ready financially and in terms of our studies to TTC so I am terrified that I will have a flare up again before then and that pushes TTC even further back. But I have my fingers crossed for you that your health stays good and you can start soon!!
I was reading up on neonatal lupus recently and it seems like the risks are pretty minimal luckily with some good old steroids it should be pretty short lived for the little ones.

o_O I did not know that just being ANA positive increases your risks that much, no-one has told me that at all! My ANA is quite high :(

The neonatal lupus doesn't worry me as much as the heart block thing. At least neonatal lupus goes away...I'd hate to see my child end up with a permanent heart problem because of a defect with my body.

Only two weeks now until I see the new rheumatologist...fingers crossed I'll get some more answers.

I hope you stay flare-free and healthy, it is so miserable being n a flare. I hope you get your bfp quickly when you start TTC :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->