Anyone else still dealing with extreme separation anxiety?

Discussion in 'Toddler & Pre-School' started by Tiff, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Tiff

Tiff LIKE A BOSS

Claire is 24 months old and is still very much in the grips of Separation Anxiety. My DF can't even take her away from my general area to change her diaper without her dissolving into a massive meltdown. She'll screech at the top of her lungs "Mama! Mama! Mama!" as he's taking her up the stairs. :(

Its heartbreaking and nervewracking for me. :shy: Anyone have any tips? Am I the only one with a 2 year old who's SA is worse than when they were one?

2. Ratty

Ratty Well-Known Member

My son has started this now that he has started play school. No advice, sorry. Will be watching this thread though.

3. Lucy_lu_84

Lucy_lu_84 Pregnant with #2

My ds has started having major meltdowns if I leave the house without him. Breaks my heart but sometimes its easier if he stays with daddy. Yesterday his daddy wasnt even allowed to take him from highchair. No advice cos its new to us, he's never been like it before.

I think.in my case it would be new baby related, will be watching topic

4. Mum2b_Claire

Mum2b_Claire Mummy to Ruby & Scarlett!

Ruby has just randomly started not wanting to be carried by her Daddy when we are out, and just shouts 'mummy carry, mummy carry'. I don't think it's SA though as she happily goes to the childminder, my mum and her partner. OH just distracts her and makes her laugh and she often forgets about wanting to come to me but I guess that wouldn't work with all toddlers.

I think it's very normal stuff though and I guess you may find she favours Daddy next week.

5. Tiff

Tiff LIKE A BOSS

Not sure if it'll be next week, Claire has been like this since she was 9 months old! :shock:

I went back to work part time back in October, I was hoping that the time away from her would help but its made it worse. For awhile if my parents watched her (whom she loves) they used to have to put away any pictures of me because as soon as Claire would see them she'd start wailing for me. :shrug:

She's fine when she gets somewhere, and is kept occupied... she's getting better with me leaving the house (will wave "bye" to me) but for the most part its still only me she wants. Its hard on my OH as well, because he always feels that she doesn't even like him. :( Which I tell him is not the case, but I understand why he'd feel like that.