Anyone else suprised about how much they like/ don't like being pregnant?

lizzywiz

Mama to one monkey
Reaction score
Before I was pregnant I had an idea of what kind of pregnant lady I would be and, of course, I was completely wrong :haha:

I waited, planned and TTC for a while before getting pregnant, so I was so sure I would love it and that any discomfort would be overshadowed by joy,... but that's not so much how I've been feeling lately!

In my case, I am surprised about how hard this is for me and how alien my body feels. I did not expect to mind the weight gain at all, but I do, and I did not expect to be so irritable. I thought I would feel closer to my bean by now, but the baby still seems surreal (which may be due to a touch and go first tri).
I don't feel bad about these feelings, because I think it is normal to run the gamut, but I am surprised about how different it has been than I expected. I am just entering 2nd tri, so maybe once I consistently feel better I will start experiencing some of that joy I had planned :winkwink:

Anyone else feeling different than they expected (good or bad)? Or has it been more or less how you thought it would be?

I like it way more than I thought I would! I expected the "alien invader" feeling, but instead I just feel like baby is a part of me. I really had never been excited about pregnancy. Granted, some parts of it aren't completely amazing, but overall it's very sweet.

Just wish I could have some wine. :rofl:

Me! I've waited my whole life to be pregnant and got really discouraged when I was so sick and not enjoying it at all. I thought I'd love every minute and while I'm starting to, it's taken a long time to get here.

I like being pregnant now, however didn't enjoy first trimester, the nausea, the lack of appetite and to be honest apart from that you don't really feel pregnant, even at the scans although it was lovely seeing baby, it felt like i watching it on tv, i have started really enjoying the pregnancy now though, no more nausea, appetite is back, haven't put on more than a couple of pounds(was a wee bit chubby to start off with) and now that i feel baby move, its like i can connect better as there actually is something in there now to become attached too.

Isn't it crazy? I thought that because I want so much to be pregnant that of course I would be a happy pregnant lady, but instead I am a bit of a gritchy wench who spends most of her time eating, sleeping and trying far too long to poop!

PS- Scottishgem, that is good to hear- gives me hope!

I agree with no drama mama.

I have wanted to be a mum really badly since I was about 14, I'm now 25. I was so excited to finally have a green light to start trying and was so happy when I got that positive test result - it was quicker than I thought as well - in the first cycle of trying. However since week 6 I have felt horrendous with being sick what feels like constantly :( I have gone off the food I used to eat - and I was a fussy eater anyway. Everytime I have to eat now I want to cry. I'm so afraid of being sick after eating - think I am afraid of choking. I have a referral into physio as well for pelvic girdle pain, means I feel useless, cant lift anything without it causing pain down by back, buttock and leg for the rest of the day. I cant cook as the heat smell from the cooker makes me gag. Husband will cook me food and I just cant eat it. I feel so miserable and guilty for feeling like that as I wanted this so badly. I never really thought the pregnancy part would bother me. I'm not afraid of giving birth or anything (at the moment anyway), I suppose I am just so disappointed in myself, I feel like I am letting baby down already by not trying harder to force food down myself. I used to eat healthily and would have veg with every meal, now I just cant do it. All I feel I can stomach is egg fried rice or chips and battered sausage. I feel like such a failure :(

Been signed off work for two weeks due to exhaustion and sickness but am due to go back on Tuesday. I cant concentrate and I am dreading going back to work. Feel like such a let down.

Wow...sorry to rant, had to get it out of my system. I feel so unmotivated I hardly even post on here anymore either :( I'm just waiting for that "burst of energy" that is supposed to happen in the 2nd trimester. All I keep thinking is that the sickness is going to continue for the whole pregnancy, I wont put any weight on and this pelvic girdle pain is going to get worse and worse :( xxxxxxxxxx

I thought I would be sick as a dog! I was ready to take on the daily throwing up, I figured, growing a baby is a big deal and if all I was going to do was throw up daily, bring it lol
I've (so far) had a great pregnancy! During the first tri I got queasy and would be queasy for days at a time, but I never, and have still never, thrown up.
Weight gain has been slow, steady, and healthy. I have not gained the 60lbs like my mom and grandmother, though I still have awhile to go lol
I'm enjoying being pregnant, so far!

I like being pregnant now, however didn't enjoy first trimester, the nausea, the lack of appetite and to be honest apart from that you don't really feel pregnant, even at the scans although it was lovely seeing baby, it felt like i watching it on tv, i have started really enjoying the pregnancy now though, no more nausea, appetite is back, haven't put on more than a couple of pounds(was a wee bit chubby to start off with) and now that i feel baby move, its like i can connect better as there actually is something in there now to become attached too.

Same here. First trimester sucks goat's balls, glad it's over, feel great now though!

LOVE] feeling baby, knowing your carrying a little life in side you, excitement of scans

HATE feeling like a whale, heartburn, constipation

Gecko, I am having pelvic problems too, in my sacroiliac joint. It is hard to be positive when you are is pain, but try not to beat yourself up. We are human, we love our babies, we just don't love how we feel in this moment.

Thanks for sharing everybody- I love to hear all of your expectations and the realities of what it is really like for you!

Goat balls!!!! :haha::rofl:

I've been amazed at how easy my pregnancy has been. The most trouble I've had was being cranky in the first few weeks, a few days of slight queasiness in the first trimester, and I struggle to tie my shoes each morning.

I really enjoy how my body looks/feels now. (i've got boobs, yay!) Sometimes I think I'll miss being pregnant and feeling so close to my baby.

I had a terrible experience two years ago with an mc, hormones, wisdom teeth hell, etc., and although I wanted a baby, was terrified that the same 'alien' baby feeling that another poster mentioned would be the same; thankfully, this pregnancy has been without any drama (except for some cervical bleeding in wk14).

I have had the morning/evening sickness (wks 8-12); headaches 12-16; leg cramps 16-22 and now severe carpal tunnel in both hands (wks 23 onwards), but it's all part of being pregnant, I suppose. I don't like being pregnant, everyone says that I have a glow (so at least, don't have to worry about make-up at the moment), but cannot wait until little one arrives!

I am so grateful that at my age (43 when conceived, 44 when I deliver) that I was able to get pregnant naturally after my mc and two possible chemicals that I feel guilty even not liking being pregnant, but I just want to meet my little one now!

I also have very good health (not the case a few years ago), but am not pleasantly surprised as to how I used to just pop a pill for a migrane or leg cramp, and now, have to be creative and patient...sigh....

best wishes

ps. however, I do like finally feeling the baby moving around and knowing that he is healthy, active and hopefully, happy! so yes, that does make it worth it!!!!!! and now, my husband can feel him sometimes, too, which is really sweet as well....

I think two things are causing me to not enjoy pregnancy as much as I could. First of all, I am a paranoid, worry wart. I question daily if something is wrong...did i eat something or take a medication that could cause a birth defect? it is difficult to live in such a paranoid state all the time. secondly, as I have stated before, i am apprehensive and scared about how my body is changing.

also...it has been a change NOT to relax with my nightly glass of wine or two.

after trying for nearly 3 years i always though that as soon as it happened and i was pregnant that i would know , instantly. and i didnt .... it was odd and things didnt start to seem real untill i actually saw them on the screen at the emergency scan ! Weight gain hasnt been an issue this end - during the first tri i actually lost 10lb. and ive only recently started eating properly again . although i still have no real appetite or fancy anything . But i can honestly say - its not what i expected. xx

Im so greatfull to be pregnant and get this far after 2 m/c but i really really dont like being pregnant, ive had harrendous hypermesis only just easing off and eating actual meals again, i didnt think i would mind the weight gain but it is freaking me out so much. Just feel really abnormal

even after two losses myself, I'm not a happy pregnant person. I thought like the OP I'd enjoy it more but I pretty much hate being pregnant. I have HG which is NOW just easing off and I've heard most sufferers tend to suffer in the 3rd tri so I'm dreading that. The baby moving while cool still feels alien to me. I'm not "bonding" like everyone else talks about. I hate the changes in my digestion, heartburn, lack of an appetite but still gaining weight, nothing tastes right, every morning it's a surprise as to how I'll feel. I'm so mean and rude and just about everyone pisses me off. I used to LOVE cooking, trying new recipes, buying cookbooks and just studying the world of food and haven't done a bit of it since July and as my biggest hobby I feel lost. I used to love to read but can't get comfortable enough to do it like I used to.

20 more weeks!!!!!

even after two losses myself, I'm not a happy pregnant person. I thought like the OP I'd enjoy it more but I pretty much hate being pregnant. I have HG which is NOW just easing off and I've heard most sufferers tend to suffer in the 3rd tri so I'm dreading that. The baby moving while cool still feels alien to me. I'm not "bonding" like everyone else talks about. I hate the changes in my digestion, heartburn, lack of an appetite but still gaining weight, nothing tastes right, every morning it's a surprise as to how I'll feel. I'm so mean and rude and just about everyone pisses me off. I used to LOVE cooking, trying new recipes, buying cookbooks and just studying the world of food and haven't done a bit of it since July and as my biggest hobby I feel lost. I used to love to read but can't get comfortable enough to do it like I used to.

20 more weeks!!!!!

i can relate to every word you said , hope the next 20 weeks get better

I had no expectations before becoming pregnant. I knew things for me would be different than other peoples just cuz no one is the same. When I found out I was 8 weeks and in the middle of what I thought was just the flu. Turned out to be morning sickness. From there I felt awful and sick and tired for my whole first tri up until my 15th week. Now I feel fine but I'm not sure how I'll handle the extra weight of my bump or the movements of my baby. My body is super sensitive to any minor changes so much that with my heightened body temp I'm constanly uncomfortable. But who knows. I might surprise myself and learn to really love very little thing. Hope everyone's pregnancies go well!

i've wanted kids as long as i can remember so i though that being pregnant was going to be the most magical time in my life. i also was able to get my weight and healthy eating as well as exercise under control before getting pregnant and was 100% sure i would carry it through the pregnancy. not so much. first tri was hell with morning sickness and tiredness, being hungry all of the time. second tri has brought out a short temper and now i feel really fat and unattractive. DH is stressed about the baby and isn't acting excited at all which means i can't talk about it as much as i'd like with him. i still don't feel 'pregnant' or have any sort of bond with the baby even though i can feel her kicking all of the time. i'm too overwhelmed to start buying stuff for the nursery.
i'm sad that it's not as wonderful of a time as i thought it would be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"