Anyone else using distraction techniques???

littletobyj

Reaction score
This is my second baby so I know what is coming, plus it's hard to ignore every time I look down and see a bump that I know only has one way to go. Add to that the totally annoying 'not long now' that absolutely everyone is telling me (like I hadn't noticed!) I'm actually going crazy!
Had a pretty crappy pregnancy and I am bit of a worrier so needless to say I'm not exactly excited about my impending birth. I have taken to doing anything and everything to avoid thinking about it, pretty much sorted everything for baby (all the nice bits) sorted Christmas, been organising home but I'm running out of stuff to do and my thoughts always get the better of me led in bed at night.
Anyone else like this or have advice?

At night why not try putting on a film that you know like the back of your hand and go to sleep watching it?

I have always been one of those people that can't close their mind at night so I put Harry Potter on (the audio books) every night and go to sleep listening to that. I find that when I don't I can be awake for hours but I can be asleep in minutes this way. I have tried alternative methods but nothing really works. Struggling at the moment though as I don't want Baby getting used to sleeping to it.

Best of luck.

Thank you, will try that as I think it might be comforting! I'm putting myself under unnecessary stress behaving neurotically and finding stuff to distract me, know its driving hubby mad!

I had an amazing birth with my son 3hr labor and a really fast pushing stage but the has and air completely knocked me around I didn't feel in control at the end and I felt like I was hallucinating and for some reason the thought of labor is scaring me! I have thought about it so much and I think this time I am so worried if something may unfortunately happen to me my poor ds would be lost without me. Ridiculous thoughts but they are there. I have just been trying to focus on the positive side of everything as also distracting myself with house work and getting babies room ready lol. I have had an awful pregnancy I have been unwell petty much the entire 30 weeks! At night time if I am feeling restless I watch a movie something funny or even a kids movie lol I love Disney movies hehe so I like to watch them. Such a child at heart :haha:

I have been having similar thoughts Kirstie, like you my son's birth was great as far as labour goes, pretty quick, a bit of gas and air and totally bounced back to normality straight away. This pregnancy has been so different though, all throughout and other minor complications so I have convinced myself that the birth will be worse too! I also keep trying to fend off thoughts of something happening to me-I am not a particularly religious person but I have found myself praying for the both of us to be ok.
I'm going to continue with distraction techniques and keep telling myself we are on the home stretch.

I am in complete denial.. which is getting harder I know with a mahousive bump... but ignorance is bliss.. I have done the bare minimum to get stuff ready, but I had a good birth with my LO and I am so scared about it this time around it is stupid...

I play with my phone till I cna't stay away any more to stop 'those' thoughts popping in my head at bedtime...

I am in complete denial.. which is getting harder I know with a mahousive bump... but ignorance is bliss.. I have done the bare minimum to get stuff ready, but I had a good birth with my LO and I am so scared about it this time around it is stupid...

I play with my phone till I cna't stay away any more to stop 'those' thoughts popping in my head at bedtime...

That is what I am currently doing, I am always on my phone or ipad, looking a anything and everything from this forum (although mainly the santas grotto lol) or facebook or researching different stuff. My hubby just thinks I am ignorant, I am just doing anything to stop myself thinking!

It's so nice to not feel alone about all of this. I also am constantly on my phone either on here or looking up baby things even though I already have everything lol. I am constantly looking up sales and what not but never buy anything it just takes my mind off of it. I am currently laid in bed with ds and dh are fast asleep next to me and I know tonight is going to be a ba night for sleep :(

Yep the nights are worst, common for me to wake with heartburn or needing the loo but getting back off to sleep is hard work. My mum keeps assuring me that it is perfectly natural and obviously once the birth is underway I am sure we will just get on with it-it is the anticipation of it that is worse!

I feel the same way but then I had a terrible experience with my last birth so it's really bothering me and I try my best to distract myself with Candy Crush (totally addicted lol) and films at night etc but with just a couple of days to my due date I'm getting more and more nervous not just about the birth but leaving ds 4 and my home etc which is daft as it probably won't be for long but these things are bothering me. Am glad I'm not alone in feeling like this xxxxxx

Candy crush is a great idea-will have to try that!!
I agree about not being at home, although I had a straight forward birth with my son I was in hospital 10days with him which drove me insane when all you want is your own home!! Hope we all have it ok when our time comes!

I can honestly say Candy Crush helps lol it does take my mind off everything when I play although I drive dh mad when I can't get passed a level for a few days:) me too hope we all have straight forward births and are back home before we know it:) xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->