• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Anyone else work for the NHS?

umm

Reaction score
Hi i am off work sick at the moment and wondered if any of you lovely ladies also working for the NHS know what is the earliest they can make you start your mat leave?:flower:

Our policy states:

2.4 - Sickness during pregnancy

2.4.1 - Where a member of staff has chosen to work beyond the 4th week before the expected due date, and falls sick, she will be paid sick pay in accordance with her conditions of service, providing the sickness is unrelated to her pregnancy.

2.4.2 - If the illness is pregnancy related then maternity leave shall automatically commence from the fourth day of absence, the first three days will be treated as sickness and this can commence any day of the week.

2.4.3 - Sick leave up to the agredd start date of maternity leave will be treated as normal sick leave. In the case of premature birth, Maternity leave will automatically commence.

So it doesn't actually say anything about forcing you to take it early. I should image they couldn't force you until at least 11 weeks before your due date anyway as you can't start ML before then anyway. You might have to phone your HR dept hun.

I work for NHS, if you have any sick leave more than 4 days in the four weeks before 29 week pregnant ( so any sick days more than four consec days after 25 weeks) then they can enforce maternity leave. I think this is how it works, well this is how was explained to me. Never know it happen to anyone though as yet xx

This is our policy. https://www.doncasterpct.nhs.uk/documents/MaternityLeaveandMaternityPayPolicy.pdf

If an employee is ill during pregnancy before they begin Maternity Pay/Leave, the illness may or may not be associated with the pregnancy, the employee will, on production of a sick note, be entitled to receive sickness benefits in the usual manner.
If the illness is associated with pregnancy and occurs before the fourth week prior to the expected week of confinement, they will be entitled to receive sickness benefits in the usual manner. If the sickness continues beyond the fourth week prior to the expected week of confinement, Maternity Pay/Leave will start automatically at that time. The employee will thereafter be treated in accordance with the maternity regulations.

It depends whether it's pregnancy related. If it's not, then there is nothing they can do.

jessiHD is right. if it's not pregnancy related then they can't make you take leave early. However if it is they can make you take maternity from 25 weeks

I'd check with your HR dept hun, sounds like it's different in different Trusts. How long are you expecting to be off for?

They can't make you go on maternity leave in your first trimester anyway.

Thanks for your replies i know they can't make me start mat leave yet just wanted to know when, I slipped a disc in my back a few days after making this baby and have been off work since so it is not pregnancy related.
I am seeing occupational health tomorrow and just wondered where I stood as my ward manager was not impressed when i told her I was pregnant again, also after phoning in sick a sister got a new staff nurse to phone me at home to see if i would be in that night!!:growlmad: they seam to think you just get over a slipped disc in a matter of weeks:dohh:
My GP and phisio say i wont be able to go back to work during this pregnancy so just waiting on occ health tomorrow as i get bigger it will put more strain on my back,
Thank you i feel better now I know its 25 weeks just panicking :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"