Anyone else working up until you go into labor?

mamawolf

Reaction score
Because its driving me nuts. I want to spend as much maternity leave with my baby as I can so I want to keep working til he shows up but I'm so tired and work about 30 mins from my hospital. I'm halfway between thinking he'll never come so I should stop worrying about every twinge (been getting false labor for over a week) and worrying that if I don't track everything I'm going to miss the signs and end up giving birth to my son at my desk :/

I'm working up until about 5 Days to my EDD. I'm already dreading that decision. I work in a hospital so while that's the best place to be IF I go early I'd much rather not be there.
I have so much pressure and pains that I can't stand walking anymore. Sleep is a thing of the past too, but in the long run I want to spend as much time with baby as I can.

Yeah I can imagine all that walking is rough on you :/

Yes. Worked up to my due date with my first and went into labor 4 days after. I remember that last week of work being very difficult, so I can only imagine what it's going to be like to possibly work past my due date! My job can be physical at times, I work in a lab so some days I'm stuck at a work bench or in front of a computer for hrs on end and some days I'm on my feet non-stop. I do have to lift 30-50lbs fairly regularly, so I may need to go on some sort of restricted duty at some point. This pregnancy is already much harder than my first, but I want to spend as much time with baby as possible.

My husband works on an island and has to catch a ferry to get across so I do worry about going into labor in the middle of a week day and the possibility of things progressing quickly while I'm at work. I'm not too far from the hospital, but traffic is very unpredictable depending on the day of the week. We live in an area where cruise ships dock and tourists take over the area.. not sure I should risk driving myself home or even to the hospital if I should get into serious labor at work..

Yeah if I go into labor at work I plan on having a friend drive me to the hospital. My first labor was 32 hrs but I know they are all different

Since my gf took off 2 weeks early and delivered 2 weeks late and hated twiddling her thumbs at home waiting for baby to come I chose to go on Oct 2, my due date is Oct 5. My OB wants me to deliver either the last week in Sept or the first week in Oct. And while I'd hate to have a water incident at work, I'm not willing to sit around at home and wait. If I need to take off early my S&A pay kicks in so I still get my full year mat leave that starts in October (so I REALLY hope to deliver earlier rather than later to have more paid time off) but baby will make that decision!

I only get 6 weeks at full pay so I don't want to waste any

I'm sitting here hoping my water will break I don't care where I am! Lol

I worked right up to the birth of my baby last time and i'm doing the same again this time. Everyone at work is having bets on who's going to catch the baby :haha:

Last time i decided actually i would like to leave today for mat leave, filled in the forms at 6pm, made it my last day and said goodbye to everyone, thought i'd have at least a week to myself. Then 10pm came and my waters broke, 5:55am my son was born!

I guess you just have to trust your instinct, that day i was just so tired i thought enough is enough and decided to leave and have a nice rest, baby had other plans though! :dohh:

I'll be working till my due date; here they induce at 12 days overdue so if I go that far I'll get nearly 2 weeks off before LO is here. If I go early I'll be trying to tie everything up in between contractions :haha:

I want to work up to my due date or maybe even 3-4 days after, but who knows how I will feel at 39 weeks. I feel good now (just aggravated because sitting at my desk all day makes me start leaking urine sometimes), but I may be sick of still going in when I'm close to the end.

I don't want more than a few days of idleness or I'll regret wasting that leave time.

My edd is october 4th...

I have enough sick/vacation time that i opted to drop down to working only 3 days a week just so i can start getting some things done around the house (cleaning, organizing babies room and doing its laundry, cooking some freezer meals etc) and that still leaves me my weekends to actully spend time with dh, family, and friends.

I think my last day at work is going to be sept 23rd, which leaves me about ten days before my edd! So if i do go the two weeks over.. Ill be going stir crazy! But im already doing that at work because ive reduced my caseload and m training someone else.. But those ten days are again covered by sick/vacation time and i would start mat leave on my edd.. But we get 12 months off

With pregnancy #1 I worked in the office up until 37 weeks then from home until my due date when mat leave started DS was 10 days late (I only get 13 weeks full pay so do not want to waste any!) those 10 days were the longest waiting for him to make an appearence and felt like such wasted time :dohh:

With #2 I am working in the office until 37 weeks then from home for a week and then taking left over holiday leave until my mat leave starts on my due date - I am hoping she comes on time tho or a little early but this time I will get to spend some precious one on one time with my son so I don't mind :cloud9:

I am however, finding this pregnancy a lot harder than my 1st and at only nearly 30 weeks finding working full time a real struggle :wacko:

I only get 6 weeks at full pay so I don't want to waste any

I'm supposed to be working until the Friday before my due date, I'll be 39+2, but if he's not here by the next Monday, I'm going to work. I don't want to waste time at home.

I only get 6 weeks paid too, though I'll be working about 50% time for a month and a half after my leave is over. The moral of the story is... I REALLY need him to come on or before his due date. :haha:

I am 35 weeks currently. My doctor plans on delivering me around 39 weeks. I don't have an exact date but I plan on working until the friday before so about 3 more weeks. Even if it's Wednesday or Thursday. I'm already struggling. I'm a teacher so on feet a lot and I end up in a lot of pain but I'm just trying to tough it out.

I can't imagine working that long. I'm so tired and uncomfortable already! I've been off all summer as I'm a teacher and I'm absolutely dreading being back at work and busy on my feet all day long. My knees ache going for a long walk. How am I supposed to stand and walk all day long?

I plan on using sick time a few weeks before and then starting mat leave around 38 weeks. Good for you ladies who are working up to labour! I sure couldn't do it!

I can't imagine working that long. I'm so tired and uncomfortable already! I've been off all summer as I'm a teacher and I'm absolutely dreading being back at work and busy on my feet all day long. My knees ache going for a long walk. How am I supposed to stand and walk all day long?

I plan on using sick time a few weeks before and then starting mat leave around 38 weeks. Good for you ladies who are working up to labour! I sure couldn't do it!

Are you in the UK? For most schools, pregnancy related sickness from 36 weeks will automatically spark maternity leave so you might not start at 38 weeks if you take sick leave. It may not be the case for you but worth checking out if you haven't already done so.

My maternity leave starts 3 weeks before my EDD, but I might have to have a csection that means I would only have a week off before baby born.

I wanted to work as far as I could to my EDD as wanted to spend more time off with the baby and since my maternity isn't the best money I'm only taking around 10 months off instead of the full year. I wanted some time off before baby comes to get things sorted but it all really depends on the baby lol

I'm due October 25th which is a Sunday. I'm hoping to work right up to the 16th or 23rd of that month, depending on how smoothly the rest of this pregnancy goes. If I'd opted for a section, I probably would have started my leave a few days prior to that date :)

Are you in the UK? For most schools, pregnancy related sickness from 36 weeks will automatically spark maternity leave so you might not start at 38 weeks if you take sick leave. It may not be the case for you but worth checking out if you haven't already done so.

Yup :thumbup: any employer in the UK has the right to automatically start your mat leave if your off sick on or after 36weeks x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->