Anyone else's baby only sleep for 30 minutes at 9 months old?

diggory77

Reaction score
Hi guys,

For as long as I remember, my little girl has only slept for 30 minutes at a time and generally wakes still tired and cries, but its impossible to resettle her. She's started sleeping through a few weeks back from 7.30-7ish occasionally needing me to go and put her dummy back in.
She naps in her cot, and I sit with her until she falls asleep, but the actual falling asleep part she does herself. I've tried wake to sleep with it being successful once or twice.
I'm still trying to aim for 3 naps a day for 30 minutes but the trouble is she's going longer between naps and its getting hard to fit the 3 in without impeding on bedtime. I'm pretty sure 2 x 30 minute naps is not enough at her age?

Is anyone else still having this problem of short naps? My house is a bomb site as I barely get time to do anything!

Xxx

If you drop to two naps she may surprise you by sleeping longer. As awake time extends naps tend to as well (obviously to a point as they grow out of needing to sleep so much). My LO was a 30 min catnapper at 3 naps. He now has two that are usually around an hour each. Give it a go!

She has been having two naps for at least a week and they've only been 30 minutes, occasionally around 15 minutes!
Ill see if I can space those two out a bit better and see if she'll nap longer, especially if I make sure I'm in the room at the 30 minute mark xxx

If she's waking at 7, try a nap at 10 and a nap at 2 and see what happens. :)

My LO was doing 3 naps during the day usually 30-45 mins each. Around 9/10 months she dropped her 3rd nap. Now she takes 2 naps every day and they last 1-2 hours each. Sometimes even 3 hours! Your LO might just surprise you if she drops a nap. Good luck :flower:

Sounds like my LO - at 10 months I'm still waiting for one of these magical 1-2 hour naps people speak of! My LO wakes about 6.30/7am, at 9 months he moved his 9am nap to 10am but continues to sleep only for 30/40 mins; he used to sleep again at lunch time/early afternoon for 30 mins but at 9 months he dropped that one, he would then have another 30 mins about 3pm. Now he has his second 30/40 mins around 2-3pm. However, this isn't every day - some days he drops one of the naps and more recently he's been dropping his 10am nap, napping about 11.30am instead for 1 hour and them not sleeping until bedtime at 7pm. Yesterday he tried this but got so tired he fell asleep about 5pm ish, it really ruined tea time and bed time. He does sleep through though from 7pm.

I completed understand how hard it is. By the time I've sat with him to get him to sleep he's awake again, I can't get anything done in the day. I started rocking him to sleep as I thought it might help; it didn't. In fact, he started waking in the night expecting to be rocked back off! Awful, we had to stop and it took a little while for him to learn self soothing again. We recently got a playpen, it's giving me a little break every now and then when it gets too much.

My lo started having shorter naps so we cut down to 2 and now they are between 1/1.5 hours each nap. Try 2 naps a day and maybe they will be longer? Its worth a try right?

Do you think maybe if you wean her off the dummy she might sleep longer for her naps? Just an idea, because that's what worked for us it only took 2 days. I just found that he kept waking up for his dummy and now that its gone he takes two one & half hour naps a day.

Mine started sometimes doing 2 cycles (1 1/2 hours) when we moved to 2 naps, but sometimes he still does only 45 minutes. For just about every other baby I know of, moving to 2 naps increased the length of each nap. But we'll soon have gotten all the way through the 2 nap stage without consistent 1+ hour naps. :wacko: It's not ideal but we've survived!

Hi everyone, thanks for your suggestions. I tried 9.30 and 1.30 and in bed for 7 today. I struggled to keep her awake for that long but she did sleep 1.5 hours for the first nap, with a brief waking and me settling her. Ill try again tomorrow as I'm home all day, hopefully she'll get the hang of it!
X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->