Anyone experience bladder control problems through pregnancy or otherwise?

LunaFleur

Reaction score
Hi ladies!

So this is a bit of an embarrassing subject for me which I very seldom discuss:nope: but basically a few years back I was diagnosed with cancer of the bladder, I was very lucky in that they caught it early enough to do a simple operation to remove the growth and I had one session of chemo and I was fine. BUT I now go to yearly check ups where I have a camera inserted into my bladder through my urethra which gets increasingly more painful every time, and I have started to bleed and have great discomfort for quite some days after, I am convinced I have some sort of scar tissue from the frequent check ups, as it has left me with a noticeably lack of bladder control and sensitivity.
I can hold my wee, but I need to wee very frequently, and if I have had a drink it goes straight through me. I also have had a bit of wee come out when I am laughing or doing something strenuous, I used to throw up quite a bit because I had very bad heartburn (I have since learned to control it with medication) but almost every time I heaved to be sick I would wee a little until it was running down my leg and I would have to change my underwear.
Yesterday I was trying to do some exercises with fh and I was doing star jumps and straight away I could feel like I was going to wet myself, it really is embarrassing and I dread to think the state of my bladder during/after pregnancy, can someone please give me any advice or success stories about doing kegal exercises to get back control of your bladder? And also direct me to any exercises that worked for you?

Thanks!:flower:

You should not feel embarrassed at all hunny! I am happy to hear you caught the cancer early! Well done for being so strong xx

I have to relate with the lack of bladder control, I had a chronic cough and pleurisy a few weeks back and every time I would have a coughing fit or throw up, I would wet myself :/ Not a full wee... but enough to notice and have to change my trousers! Sso embarrassing when I'm 25! I do worry about pregnancy and I am seriously going to wet myself all over the show if I am doing it already!

But I am unsure if I am actually bothered if my bladder isn't so strong in pregnancy :haha: I can work on that with pelvic floor afterwards :blush:

You may have scarring which may affect your bladder control and sensitivity, which is completely different to my random weeing :blush: so have you had a chat to your Doc about any scarring possibility?

All in all.. do not be embarrassed :hugs:

So happy for you that the cancer was caught early but I can only imagine how troubling the lasting side effects are for you. From what you've said and the thought about it being scar tissue it sounds like maybe the sphincter that controls urine flow may be compromised...but I'm no expert! I'm not sure what's available for you but here in Canada I have heard of nurse continence advisors who work with patients to find solutions for different causes of incontinence. Perhaps ask your doctor if there is something like that available to you? Or at least maybe research and see if you can find some resources that specialize in that area (unfortunately many docs are unaware of these things). I don't know tons about the subject but you could also look into pelvic floor physiotherapy (if you haven't already)... as there is more than just kegels involved in strengthening the pelvic floor. Wishing you all the best!

I had problems right through my pregnancy but particularly later on - I would wet myself if I sneezed frequently and even had one embarrassing day at work when I caused a huge fuss thinking my waters were leaking at 24 weeks when in fact I was leaking a different fluid :blush: ! Nineteen months on and I no longer have issues as such, but if I try to hold it and I sneeze - I still leak!

:hugs:. During pregnancy, particularly my last pregnancy I would pee when I was sick, which was once or twice a day and a bit worrying because I was scared I'd be sick while out and about. Thankfully after a few weeks post partum it improved and my bladder control is pretty much as good as before. This time around I plan to stock up on Tena Ladies and try not to worry! After my 1st LO I had physio for damage he did on his way out (cheeky monkey :haha:) and I was given some exercises to do to strengthen my pelvic floor, I would ask your doctor to refer you for pt if you haven't been already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->