Anyone found out the gender at 12 week scan?

Vickster1

Reaction score
Hi all!

Just wondering if anyone had managed to find out the gender at the 12 week scan?

xx

It's not possible to find out at the 12 week scan, as at that gestation, boys and girls bits look pretty much the same. You would need to book a scan for around 16 weeks at least or get genetic testing to find out earlier :flower:

With my second I was 11 weeks and the OB offered a blood test that could tell the gender. I thought he was crazy but he called a week later and told me we were having a boy :)

It is absolutely possible, as I was told with DD at 13 weeks. I think the difference can be quite significant between 12 and 13 weeks though, so not sure about about being able to find out at 12w.

I live in Canada (Quebec) where the NT scan is offered to all women. You can choose to do it at the hospital for free, or go to a private clinique where they will also combine the scan with a blood test for increased accuracy in the detection of chromosomal abnormalities, but then you have to pay about 400$. Anyway, if you go to a private clinique, most technicians will give you an 80% guestimate of the gender, while hospital technicians will often tell you that they're job at 12 or 13 weeks is to test for abnormalities, and not to tell you your baby's gender.

Anyhoo short answer is yes, it is possible to find out the gender through ultrasound that early.
And btw, the technician explained to me that the female/male parts are barely visible at 13 weeks, but she can tell by the position of the bones in the pelvic area (or something to that effect anyway). Again, this was in an expensive privite clinic with very high tech equipment.

Not with ultrasound, but I think it is possible through a blood test, I doubt the doctor would do that though unless there was a specific reason too.

I had a scan on Fri i was 12wks & swear i saw little mans tickle tackle
As in the 2 wee plums then the twinky lol but i have since read up girly bits look much the same? So i'm now not 100% sure it was defo a boy altho i thought it was i may be wrong!

I live in the US and although at the hospital they will not do gender until 20 weeks, you can get a private one at 13 weeks. I did it at 15 with my DD but I have one scheduled for 13 for this one. Good luck =)

I'm in the UK, I had an NT scan at Kings College hospital at 13 weeks, and when I asked the Dr, she said that she could tell me if i wanted to know. Apparently there is some accuracy with the whole 'nub theory'. That was almost 5 years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->