Anyone had a Bartholin Cyst? TMI WARNING

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - First Trimester' started by Risstron, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Risstron

Risstron Guest

My midwife set up a dr's apt for me yesterday as I felt two lumps i the opening of my vagina. It was quite painful to have sex and also very uncomfortable to sit. :wacko: Well, turns out I had two Bartholin Cysts.

I had to get them drained yesterday and was given a few sanitary napkins as I've been bleeding quite a bit. Kinda worries me as now I won't really know if I'm spotting or not because of an impending miscarriage or if it's just extra drainage. :dohh:

Anyone else gone through this and did it turn out ok? I mean, it won't harm the baby, right?

I have my first prenatal checkup tomorrow and am dreading the pelvic exam :cry:

2. tootsweets

tootsweets Well-Known Member

Hey

I haven't had this, it sounds awful and so painful. I really feel for you, what a horrible thing to happen to you.

I read this online

'About 1 in 50 women will develop a Bartholin's cyst or abscess at some point in their life. So, they are a common problem. Most cases occur 'out of the blue' in women aged between 20 and 30. However, they can occur in older or younger women. Will it happen again? In most cases, a Bartholin's cyst of abscess does not recur after treatment with one of the operations described above, or if antibiotics alone cured the problem. However, they do recur in some cases when treatment needs to be repeated.'

So this is promising, as it is not a huge or uncommon issue, and should not happen again.

On the mc front, how far along are you? I think if you are worried about mc, you could try to find out if any blood was coming from your cervix. I suppose you'd have to do a bit of a 'finger test' unfortunately.

I hope all is well with you in the next few days, and that you're feeling better :flower:

3. i have had one! they are icky.. but completely harmless to you and your baby :)

4. Lesli45

Lesli45 Well-Known Member

I had one and man, was it painful!!! Mine was treated with antibiotics though and went away fairly quickly. I wouldn't think there would be any risk to the baby at all.

5. _Vicky_

_Vicky_ Mum to twins

I had one - wasnt intrusive though so I didnt get any treatment - was only painful if touched.

As you can see it didnt harm the boys at all!!! It stayed all the way through pregnancy but disappeared when the boys were born.

6. jayjay33

jayjay33 Expecting baby no.2

I had one but luckily minutes before I went down for surgery mine popped, was horrendously painful but once it popped it was so much better. Not a nice thing and not good in such a private place either! Wont cause any issues for baby though! xx

7. Nadia84

Nadia84 Well-Known Member

i've had quite afew and they are terrible.